Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jumping in the deep end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trevorsworth, Aug 4, 2020.

1. But, I do know how you feel. I was looking at a coupe body, finally scraped some bucks together and was hoping to go seal the deal over the upcoming days off. Called the guy and he had sold it. My dad always said don't fall in love with it until it is yours.

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

I would be willing to bet that the guy that was selling the truck told the person that came to look at it that he had an offer for the asking price and that the potential buyer saw it was a great deal and offered a few bucks more for it.

It's usually First Come First Serve on deals like that.....

Cie La Vie!

hillbillyrabbit likes this.
  3. hillbillyrabbit

hillbillyrabbit

Oh man that stinks!! I’ve got my eyes out here in Arkansas for you.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Don't you have something like that old truck sitting in your driveway Merv? ;)

hillbillyrabbit likes this.
  5. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been in a rut lately. Not having much luck finding parts I need. :( Plus my credit card got jacked, I guess at a gas pump, and they ran up like $800 in bullshit from Amazon. Not sure how much I'll be able to overturn. Like I wasn't poor enough!

Guess it's time to start selling off some of the other antique junk I've collected over the years, otherwise I'll never have the cash to move forward.

6. Brian Lundgren

Brian Lundgren

Keep at it man, building these old cars often feels like you are taking more steps backward than forward. all the while life usually does it’s best to get in the way!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

trevorsworth likes this.
  7. If it was a credit card and not a debit card, you should not have to pay for any of the fraudulent charges. Good luck and hang in there!

MBog and flatford39 like this.
  8. RMONTY

RMONTY

I would think you would be able to get a ship to address from the order. After all, it WAS your order, right? You are having to pay for it! Get the address and file theft on the asshats!

MBog, Jrs50 and Brian Lundgren like this.
  9. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

10. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Well dang that stinks. Don’t worry, the right one will show up

12. flatford39

flatford39

Don't overlook AA Ford big trucks. The cabs and sheet metal are the same. You may still find one in a farmers field if you look hard enough.

trevorsworth likes this.
  13. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went to check out some A stuff today. Saw a lot of cool pre-war cars, including Model As. He made me a great offer on a T but I haven't really fallen in love with Ts the way I have As. He has a pile of parts I need, though, so I'll be visiting him soon once he's got everything dragged out.

Regardless if anyone is interested in a very complete Model T roadster pickup with all the sheet metal, complete drive train, rebuilt engine and new radiator for $3000 let me know. I'll hook you up. Still has wood spoke wheels! Just needs interior, paint, and a windshield. It was very tempting, but it will eat my entire A budget.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    oliver westlund likes this.
  14. rusty valley

rusty valley

stick with one project at a time. when i was young i was draggin more shit home than anyone should, and therefore never had anything drive able. money spread too thin

RMONTY and trevorsworth like this.
  15. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forgot to mention, I got the front brakes in the other day, courtesy of fellow HAMBer @joel. Still need drums, tie rod and a wishbone but the front end is almost ready to put together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the topic of bones... is a stock Model A wishbone going to work for me? I know most guys split their bones but I'm trying to keep the suspension and chassis pretty close to stock to start with, other than changes necessary to accommodate the V8... that way, I know what mods like that actually mean in terms of handling and road feel, and so that to a lesser extent I can sort of retrace the steps of a young hot rodder in the 40s/50s... which is part of the experience I'm chasing.

J.Ukrop and brEad like this.
  16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And in dream-land... I realized early on that all the hot rods I really liked had names, imperfections and lots of personal touches. I spent some time thinking about it and I had pretty much settled on a name even before the engine was running, but I don't think I ever mentioned it here. Robin saw it on my whiteboard in the garage. I wanted to visualize what it might look like painted on the car somewhere, so I spent a few minutes messing around in Photoshop.

upload_2020-12-4_20-40-44.png

Hopefully it won't be quite that rusty, but it's easy to get carried away in a digital studio. ;)

17. rusty valley

rusty valley

the reason to split the bones is, A, to get the chassis lower. bones hit the frame when you go low. and B, to clear an oil pan. if you plan on a v8 some day, you will loose the wish bone mount on the A tranny, reason C. at that point, split bones, or a home made mount for the ball socket of the bones will be required. lots of ways to do it, all require some fab skills, and really a bare frame to work on, not a completed drivin truck

19. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Christmas came a little early. Got some great hot rod literature in the mail from @J.Ukrop!
    80752D51-1559-4A87-AAEF-2D017295A3AD.jpeg

But wait...
    35BBB8A1-8450-42BA-A10E-5051088FCE1B.jpeg

Sneaky sneaky... ;) These will keep me going for a while.

Here is the antique Dremel I scored a few days ago. I mentioned it in the stuff-you-recently-got thread but now it’s actually here. It takes a while to get up to speed, and it kind of sounds like a jet engine full of gravel, but once it’s going it runs pretty good. I suspect the carbon brushes might be wearing out. In any event it’s going to see some service in my build.
    6D150D42-CAEB-44C1-A33D-E63BF7A4FFD3.jpeg
    6452F1BC-6927-4331-A28F-77450D30BF3D.jpeg

A close up of the beautiful art deco latch on the box... Little details like this excite me, I don’t know if anyone else cares.
    C5B0F6C0-1713-493D-BB39-FDCBA1DD62E7.jpeg

And here is an antique mini fire extinguisher. I know the huge ones from this period are user-refillable and can still be used today, but I’m not so sure about this one. It is currently still charged but probably wouldn’t make any pressure.
    8DF356E4-D0F5-4819-8F10-4CC9C431C538.jpeg
    56C344EE-AD17-48F4-8AE1-BD9A43D943A2.jpeg

I am weighing the aesthetic value of mounting this fire extinguisher in the cab of my hot rod against the potential safety mishaps it could cause if someone accidentally grabbed it instead of the modern fire extinguisher that will be hidden under the seat. It is period to my build and the decal looks really cool, but I'm not sure if the risk of mixing up safety equipment is worth it.

20. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today I finally bit the bullet and ordered new water pumps & thermostat housings. I'm tired of only being able to run it for short bursts.

J.Ukrop and RMONTY like this.
  21. RMONTY

RMONTY

Have you started working on getting the bolts on the inside of the water pumps loose? If I remember correctly, there is a bolt that is on the inside? Yes, No?

22. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is. I’m going to be working with it over the next few days. Tonight I am working on the oil pan cleanout. I screwed up with the RTV and it has been slowly dripping ever since. I’m working on cleaning it up and will be using a real gasket this time

I am never using RTV again. This shit is annoying to clean up. Slow progress with a wire wheel...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    brEad likes this.
  23. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drained it & let it drip dry overnight and reinstalled the cleanout with the new gasket. Hopefully this works. I could see a little oil running down the threads as I tightened the nuts down but it seems to have stopped.

I have decided I will not be keeping the truck oil pan in the long run. The cleanout is unnecessarily annoying to service and it doesn't have a conventional drain plug so it will just annoy me for no good reason every time I change the oil. I assume the 8BA oil pan interchanges.

Tomorrow I'll pull the radiator off and see about getting the water pumps off.

As an aside, Vanpelt tried to charge me $85 for shipping the water pumps. That seemed ridiculous since I know those pumps will fit in a flat rate box. I was not able to get in contact with Vanpelt by any means so I ended up ordering the same set from Dennis Carpenter for the same price except only $14 shipping.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    brEad and RMONTY like this.
  24. alchemy

alchemy

The truck pan with cleanout I have on my shelf has a regular drain plug in the middle of the cleanout cover. Maybe you have an old home made cover. Finding that original part would be hard though.

25. RMONTY

RMONTY

How difficult could it be to find a bung and a drain plug and weld one in? I have no idea, just curious...

26. alchemy

alchemy

Should be very easy.

27. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I don't see any on google that look like mine. I'll take a picture next time I'm out there. It isn't homemade.

28. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Use it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Getting there! It's cold as balls and the pizza guy showed up so I'm taking a break.

How do I absolutely, 100% guarantee the new gasket will seal the first time so I don't have to do this again? This sucks!

I had been soaking the inside bolts in PB blaster, but the one on the other side sheared as soon as I got near it, so I guess I get to learn how to drill a bolt out. This side came out easy...

30. alchemy

alchemy

Get a sharp chisel to scrape the old gasket off. It doesn't look like you have any rust to worry about on the gasket surface. I always glue those gaskets on with the stinky brown molasses Permatex..

Bearcat_V8 likes this.