Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jumping in the deep end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trevorsworth, Aug 4, 2020.

1. flatford39

flatford39

Be careful looking at pick up cabs. A lot of them are cut down sedans. The giveaway is the belt lines don't match up.

2. RodStRace

RodStRace

It's been a while since I've seen one here, and they were usually for smaller stuff, but if something comes up that really calls to you, you could try to build a HAMB relay.
    One guy hauls it for a bit, then hands it off to another and so on until it gets within your range (9or to your door).

oliver westlund and J.Ukrop like this.
  3. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one looks right. I have seen some of the cut down sedans and they immediately stuck out to me. If this cab was originally a sedan, it's close enough now that it has the right look and I don't mind.

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. RMONTY

RMONTY

I'm really surprised to see you said that. The whole missing title debacle and all...

7. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I can make the money happen. It’s just a question of moving it now.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is complete enough that CHP will not complain about inspecting it.

9. RMONTY

RMONTY

Understood. Was wondering why you thought it was ok. In Texas you would just apply for a bonded title. It would be nice if we could figure out how to get that truck here for Trevor. I'd go in halves with him and take the banger and chassis, make a little speedster or something out of it. I'm actually going to be in Az in Dec to pick up a 20' trailer but I have to haul off all the stuff that's on the trailer. Part of the deal. I'm going to see what can happen with that stuff.

trevorsworth likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have bonded titles here, too.

11. Make the deal buy a one way commuter air plane ticket and fly to it. Rent a small U-Haul, take it apart enough to stack in the truck and drive back home. Somebody from the H.A.M.B. will be close enough to help do the hand work wit tools. There's always a way.

Brian Lundgren and rjgideon like this.
  12. rjgideon

rjgideon

I flew to South Dakota and put most of a 27 Model T roadster into a Dodge Caravan with the Stow-N-Go seats and drove back to DFW. I should have used a U-Haul, it would have been cheaper than the one-way car rental charge that awaited me back in Dallas.

The is always a way as Pist-n-Broke said. I had a lot of fun on that little adventure and I'm glad I did it.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm here. I have shop space that it can be broken down for transport in.

If we pulled off the wheels, and the front suspension, this will fit in a 15-foot U-Haul box truck.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  14. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only trouble with that is there is no way I’d be able to pull that kind of time off at my current job. The longest they will give me is 2 days and the plane ticket plus truck rental would murder my pocketbook.

RMONTY and I are gonna try to make it work with his trailer since he will be over there anyway. If the guy will hold it that long... I called and left him a message. Fingers crossed.

Maybe someone local wouldn’t mind picking it up and holding it until then?

slv63 likes this.
  15. RMONTY

RMONTY

I can come get it on Dec 27, I just have to figure out how to clear the stuff off the trailer I am picking up. The guy told me it has some old deck lumber and an old camper shell from a pickup on it and some other odds and ends. He is giving me the trailer, and my end of the deal is to haul all the stuff on it away.

trevorsworth and brEad like this.
  16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The money end of things is squared away. Now I just wait for a call back. Here’s hoping!

slv63 likes this.
  17. flatford39

flatford39

Man that's a hell of a deal RMonty offered you. You really can't go wrong with it at all. Hat's off to you RMonty you are the man.

greaser and trevorsworth like this.
  18. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d already be nowhere without him. Don’t want to get too sappy but he’s a solid gold dude.

Nailhead A-V8, waxhead and 1934coupe like this.
  19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I listen to a lot of musicians take some songs to heart.

Pat

trevorsworth likes this.
  20. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The seller called me. He’s in the process of buying a house and needs all the cash he can scrape up, said December 27 is a long time to wait & he’d think on it.

Would anyone in the Santa Rosa area mind middlemanning in case he doesn’t want to wait?

21. RMONTY

RMONTY

We'd like to make sure the truck, chassis and engine are what they seem to be. We have the cash together. If we sent the cash out to the guy, are there any HAMBers that could store it for a few weeks?

Wonder what it might take to get a relay going from Santa Rosa down to somewhere closer to Winslow right after Christmas?

Just throwing ideas out there.

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Trevor talked to the seller and he can store it until I can get out there right after Christmas.

We would like to get eyes on it though to make sure it's a solid deal from 1800 miles away.

Anyone willing to help out by taking a look at it and speaking with the seller in person?

slv63 and J.Ukrop like this.
  23. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scam alert ! Make absolutely sure this vehicle really exist before any money leaves for 1800 miles away. just Sayin

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks Treb11. No money will move until a solid ID on the vehicle and the seller happens.

25. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’m sure the truck is pieced together, the roof on the cab as I mentioned previously is late 31, it should have an indented firewall. The aprons are two piece 1930, and look like they may be cut short along with the running boards. The grill shell looks to be for a AA truck, it’s thicker than a passenger shell for a thicker radiator, notice the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    trevorsworth likes this.
  26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The seller said that he pieced it together but didn't give any details. You have a great eye and a lot of knowledge, thanks for sharing.

The cowl may not even be an original companion to the cab. I am not necessarily intending to use the fenders (and therefore the splash aprons etc) but don't mind having them in case I change my mind later. I was planning to go ahead and paint them along with the rest of the body so I have the option to bolt them on down the road if my tastes evolve.

waxhead and J.Ukrop like this.
  27. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reaming will work, but I have mine honed because it allows a tighter initial fit and usually more miles before replacement from wear. JMO

28. Man, what is going on out there in California? Guys were saying, "I can help," "I can help," then Trevor starts getting things hammered out and needs a little legwork....all that is out there is radio silence...
    Hell, I like buying cars, especially with somebody else's money!
    If I was in Cali, I'd drive out and look it over for the lad.

hillbillyrabbit likes this.
  29. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s my bad for not posting an update! Two guys from here were waiting on the seller’s word to run and check it out, but he backed out and sold to someone else even though he said he’d wait. Joey and gimpys are great dudes! Nobody left me hanging. It was kind of a punch in the gut and I haven’t messed with any of the car stuff for a few days.

A fella here has offered me a great price on front brakes, so that will be next on the agenda.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    oliver westlund, J.Ukrop and slv63 like this.
  30. Okay, that sucks. It's to be expected though. People always say they'll do something and then they don't. Glad the guys on here that offered aren't like that.

J.Ukrop likes this.