Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 ford coupe found it's way back home after 56 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hapydz, May 16, 2013.

1. Well, the trip to California didn't happen due to son Myles slipping a disc in his back just before we were to head out on the open road. Maybe we will try for next year.....heck I will only be 81 then......
    Any way, we re back on the project ....not very fast but making some progress. I was going to pick up the set of fenders from United Pacific at the show but I will get them one at a time shipped to Ryden's Border Store in Minn, once the snow has gone.

2. Back to Myles' home in London, Ontario after a very enjoyable few days in Detroit at the Autoramma..It is always a great time checking out the beautiful cars and visiting with old friends ! I found myself returning back to this roadster over and over again ……..What a piece of artistic automotive history !!!!!! Thanks Dan for posting this great photo !!!.

Attached Files:

3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Nice To See You Back Sir...A Very Worthy Project Will Get Done...

Hapydz and loudbang like this.
  4. chevyfan

chevyfan
    from New Jersey

What a great story. Thank you Ron for sharing with us, beautiful memories and now making new ones.
    All the best to you

5. chevyfan

chevyfan
    from New Jersey

I would love to hear your story about the 40, your second car

6. chevyfan

chevyfan
    from New Jersey

Tell me your story of your 40!

7. Hi Fan; It has been tooooo long since my last posting. I have been plugging away at the 32 recently but picture would not show much progress. I'm sure glad that United Pacific is making beautiful parts to make my job easier. I don't think however that I can cross the border into the USA to pick them up. I hope we are getting close to the restrictions as the virus looks to be heading out the back door.........I hope !!! I think there are postings of the '39 that I have had for many, many years here on the Jalopy Journal. If not I will try to provide you with some info..... Dave 39 Ford.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Can someone give me the opening dia. on a stock '32 rad shell, for the filler neck . Mine has been filled with an over sized rectangular piece and I would like to put it back to stock dimensions.....Thanks,Ron

9. greaser

greaser

Mine measures 2.350" I.D.

10. Boden

Boden

Amazing story!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hapydz, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. I think it finally hit me.......When you are 81 years of age, you had better get your droopy ass in gear !!!!!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  12. RodStRace

RodStRace

Especially up in Canada, where Winter is the most common season!
    Hope to see some more progress and happy pictures.

kidcampbell71 and Hapydz like this.
  13. Yep, time is getting short. We had better get our long term projects finished up while we are
    still able to crawl back out and get to a vertical position!

14. Ordered the United Pacific rear fenders that were on EBay yesterday.....

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Ouch; there goes the budget!

Hapydz likes this.
  16. That is just why these cars take me so long to build.....That damn budget thing !!!!!

Dick Stevens likes this.
  17. Talked with United Pacific and we both agreed that it might be better to wait for the US Canadian border to reopen, before I placed the order. OK by me as I have no need for them just yet. Lots to do on the old girl so it is not holding me up.....Winter is just around the corner here in Thunder Bay so I should be spending more time in the nice heated shop working towards a finished chassis.

Big A, greaser and Denns1989 like this.
  18. Sure is unfortunate not to be able to use our close proximity to border to import parts. I've used a couple of carriers to bring parts in that I needed, and it went fairly seamlessly.
    Fortunately I don't need any large parts yet.

Hapydz likes this.
  19. Not getting them right now is not holding me up.....what is holding me up however, is getting old....LOL.

36 ROKIT and SquintBoy like this.
  20. Well, time sure flies by even when you have no excuse except when your in your 80's...... not even going to try getting to the Roadster Show with the virus happening every where. Got the heat on out in the shop so we are ready for some serious attacking on my old '32. Tough trying to get parts into Canada right now but there is still a bunch of tasks that just require some effort. I'm glad I have a suspended gas fired unit heater out there to keep me warm during the winter. By the way, we have some snow on the ground already. I'm glad the shop is only about 20 ft from the house....LOL

21. Ron The Welder Best.JPG We are back down to a bare frame in order to do the finish welding on the boxing plates etc. I will be able to do the painting on it after I clean up the welds etc. It will be nice to have it finished and looking new so that I can start bolting the parts on it for the final time, now that I know they are located in the right spot. (Thanks for staying with us !!!) Ron p.s. I took this selfie out in the shop the other day.....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  22. c57heaven

c57heaven

Ron: you are an inspiration, I continue to enjoy following this thread. Thanks.

Denns1989 and Hapydz like this.
  23. Does anyone have some experience with the aftermarket '32 Ford bench seats ? I have the seat structure but I am in need of the upholstered stock spring cushions. Ron

24. Not that I know of, Titus........

25. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Cool story!

Hapydz likes this.
  26. ^^^^^^^
    Interesting boxing plate!
    What's the name!?

27. Tony, the name plate is from "SPEED CULT", who always have a booth at the Detroit Autorama . My son Myles and I have shown our roadster there many times and I wanted to keep that memory alive so I just had to buy their "Detroit" plate . I thought it would be fitting to have it on the inside of the'32 frame.... Crazy , Maybe but it works for me. P.S. The boxing plates are from Paul Horton's The Welder Series out of Kitchener, Ontario

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    SquintBoy and Blue One like this.
  28. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Hey Ron - thanks for sharing your story. It's an awesome adventure and you are extremely fortunate to be reunited with the car of your childhood. I'm touched and inspired by your experiences. The 34 5W in my avatar and my screen name are about my first car, I bought it at 16 in 1976. Unfortunately I sold it and that has been a nick in my soul for most of the 40+ years since then. I'm now 60 and dig your 80+ energy. I have a few OT project cars to get sorted, but the real goal is to have a driver 33/4 5W.

Hapydz likes this.
  29. Yes it is, titus

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. Got into the Christmas Spirit last evening and bought a set of United Pacific's steel rear fenders, on eBay. They will be delivered right to the house in Thunder Bay.......Another step closer.... Merry Christmas to all of you !!!!