Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are 4doors going to be the new craze

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carpet Bomber, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markanthony

markanthony

I understand the question and the intent...the "Kraze"....maybe, but fashion and trends come and go, the only thing that remains are the determined who have been working on what they had to work with/wanted to work with to create what they wanted.

In my grandfathers opinion growing up in Southern California, you bought drove and dreamed of hopping up what you could afford circa 1930-1950. Yes you may have wanted a roadster, heck you probably wanted a Ford, you wanted to race at el-Mirage but if you had the family sedan passed down to you or you found a 4 door that didn't run you bought it, took it home and started playing with it.

Yes I wanted a 49-50 Mercury, yes I wanted a two-door but when the $500.00 in my savings account found a '52 4 door that had been in the same place for the last 40 years the question of 2 or 4 doors didn't and still doesn't matter.

The only thing that truly matters in this conversation is that someone, somewhere is in the garage, on the driveway learning, screwing up, saving to by sheet stock, parts, paint and doing something instead of sitting on their rear watching the world go by. Screw the elitist "are they cool", if you're into cars because they are cool that's fine, we can spot you a mile away. If you work your butt off for an extra $50.00 to buy enough 16ga to make those patch panels you need, you are also known.

en hop-up veritas.....

2. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

I am in my 20's, and I always was told that the only car worth hot rodding/customizing was a two door.

In fact when I got the 60 Falcon, (still a two door, I've never had a more door other then my Altima), my mom, (who grew up in the 50's/60's hot rodding scene in Modesto, ala American Graffiti), looked at it, shrugged, and said "I never figured those would be considered a classic worth saving.... oh well, times change."

So who knows........

3. ironworks

ironworks

You would think that most four doors would be worse off ass far a rust, because the two door is more likely to get the garage and a four door would get the back 40.

Plus a 4 door is gonna be more expensive than a door in the same condition, Because you have twice a many moving parts. Twice the door rubber, twice the window scapers, twice the rusty door bottoms, twice the door hinges to fix. Etc

And only half the props for all that hard work.

But can't you have an open container in the back seat of a four door in new zealand and not in a 2 door?
    Just something I heard

4. sojerscraper

sojerscraper

im glad some of you think 4 doors suck. keeps our shit from going for stupid prices. here's my 4 door:

[​IMG]

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Most four doors don't have the proportions to be a great hot rod or custom. Of course, there are exceptions (we've seen a few in this post).

Practically every one has the potential to be a neat old car. For lots of us, that is enough. Just keep in mind that the thing is likely to be worth less than the equivalent two door, even though the parts count and work to build it is more.

By the way, I think an old four door Falcon with a stout motor, dog-dish caps, and quiet mufflers would be a bucket of fun......

6. Just keep talkin' smack. Convince everyone that Fordors suck.

It'll make mine (wherever it is) cheaper when I go to get it. ;)

JH

Attached Files:

7. Carpet Bomber

Carpet Bomber
    from Minnesota

I second that.

8. That one just slays me. :cool:

I'm gonna be so cool in one of those someday.

JH

9. I hear ya Jim,,,,,,HRP

10. I'd say no BUT as most of the good two doors are pretty much used up ,we will be seeing more of them, mostly by the same guys who buy 4dr family sleds,me? I have had both and still prefer the 2dr's, its hard to make thumper 4dr come off right ,not to say it can't be done -50's to 60's wgn's were (and still are) drag strip terror's in the stock classes.If your looking for a neat stand out thats USABLE -4dr, if you wants tough guy looks and resale- 2dr hands down

11. squirrell451

squirrell451
    from Sacramento

I prefer finding 4 doors for 2 reasons. 1. CHEAPER! 2. It ain't that hard to track down coupe doors, move the post back, and make a skin outta the old back doors, and boom boom...a 2 dr for cheaper!

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

uhh,uuhhh,uuuuhhhh......

Attached Files:

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly! I like this theory!

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've got a Wanted Ad for a 2dr HT, but still haven't found a decent one for a reasonable price (I want a project). But I'm tempted to get this 4dr. It's a runner, with a Hemi, minimal rust, and dirt cheap. Why not? Beggars can't be choosers.

What I want:
    [​IMG]

What everything is telling me to get:
    [​IMG]

15. BobK49

BobK49

Well, I've had my "manydor" Merc for 19 years and have enjoyed it. I don't care who likes it or who don't. I do!

16. steevil

steevil

You'll be seeing plenty more four doors as the supply of vintage tin dries up.

Of course everybody would prefer a 2 door but sometimes you need to comprimise.

...otherwise you'll be stuck looking for that elusive reasonably priced 2 door hard-top for a long time to come.

17. hell, what are you waiting for , speed stuff for that is tough ,but not impossible to find and the beauty of a 4dr hdtp is the ease of a 2dr conversion not correct, but nice

18. caddylakman

caddylakman
    from USA

yep...grab it. I wish I'd been able to grab mine for 2 grand, but double it wasn't bad. And if it's mint... go for it. Just check things like engine smoke, nock, leakdown test (not just compression), check the driveshaft balance, as you'll get BAD vibration otherwise, upgrade to radials if ya wanna stay on the road, check the idler arm on the steering as one number is BAD and the other is ok. Also.. oh fuhgetaboutit, e-mail me if ya want more details on a 60 sedan.. I know tons about em. Peace

Chris
    [email protected]

19. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

Amen brother HRP, and I also dream of the deuce mordor like Harrison...:)

Attached Files:

20. Huh. Cars I've chopped up because they were too far gone or were used as donors toward a more 'noble' cause (convertibles, 2-doors, El Caminos, etc)

3ea 1960 4-door Bel Airs/Biscaynes
    2ea 1959 4-door Bel Airs
    2ea 1959 El Caminos (trust me... they were TOAST)
    1ea 1959 Impala coupe (wrecked in 1966)
    1ea 1961 Impala 4-door sedan
    1ea 1962 Impala 4-door hardtop
    3ea various 4-door Corvairs

Convertibles chopped up? 0.
    2-doors chopped up? (except for the wrecked coupe) 0.
    Wagons chopped up? 0.

What does this say? 4-doors make cheap donor cars for parts and their coolness factor is about ZERO. The only cool/fun 4-doors I see have their roofs chopped off and all 4 doors welded shut and they're summer bombers.

2-doors and convertibles ARE out there. You just have to hold out for them and look for them. Don't "settle" for a 4-door or whatever just because it's cheap and/or it's there.

Travis

21. Carpet Bomber

Carpet Bomber
    from Minnesota

Personally I don't like convertables, because you lose most of the lines of a car. But you see its an opinion and the trend is changing. One thing you never noted is when you chopped them up.

22. hey i like my 4 door ...i think the 4 door on some models looks better such as a 59 belair mine is a 4dr and i like it better than a 2dr cause the body was so long iin the first place it just levels out beter on the eye...

Attached Files:

23. 1Shot-Scot

1Shot-Scot
    from Minnesota

Good thread. I've been on both sides of the fence and have to say that the only 4 door I would consider right now would be a hardtop or a 59' - 60' GM "flattop". Simply because they already look "custom" with that roof on them. I would love to see one done sixties style with astros or chrome reverses and spiders. Anybody have pics of one done?

24. If 4 doors become more popular ,I will be rich.I have about 50 titles for sale.Mostly 4 doors

25. Good point on the lines of a car. I like the lines of a 59 Impala 2-door hardtop MUCH better than the lines of a 59 Impala convertible with the top up. The convertible top really messes it up. However, when the top is down, it's a different story. I also prefer the coupes over the sedans because the roof lines are lower and make it more 'sleek'. This year is the first year I am really going to park my convertible in the garage during the rainy season (yes, I drove the crap out of it in the rain, a few times in the snow, etc...) so from now on 99% of the time you're only going to see it with the top down.

And the above mentioned cars were cut up within the last 6 years with the exception of the Corvairs and one 1959 4-door Bel Air which was cut up and used as a donor for my convertible in 1996. I got the entire front clip, rear bumper, tail light bezels etc and they are on the convertible today. Most of the cars were used as parts cars for myself and for my friends who also deal with the 1959 and 1960 Chevrolets. The most recent one was the Impala coupe in 2004, which gave me 9 stitches in my leg, incidentally. Also one of the 1960 Bel Airs I bought, drove home, and promptly cut up as parts for my 1960 El Camino in 2004. I got a perfect front clip, a good windshield, lots of interior parts and brake parts, rear bumpers etc for $700. The 235 went to a HAMBer. Oh yeah, and it ran via a fuel line from a gas can on the passenger side front floor. And after I got home I found out it only had 1 good brake. (Driver's front) On a minor side note... I call that 1960 Bel Air the Crack Bel Air because we found a leather bag stashed under the battery tray filled with crack peraphernalia (needles spoons etc). The interior of that car reflected the owner... CRAZY stuff in there! I had to wear heavy gloves!! For example, there was a water (I THINK!) spray bottle in there with red paint on it that said "Bitch repellant" and above the rear view mirror on the headliner was painted "I SEE YOU JOHNNY!!!". A complete set of 1991 Gulf War trading cards. A Pete Rose baseball bat (gave that to the HAMBer who took the 235)... I mean... just... STRANGE CRAP!!!! :eek: Oh yes, and two religious medallions (St Anthony) were hanging on the column shifter. But hey it ran and had a great body...

Travis

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Your choice, of course, but I'd hold out for the 2-door. That is a tasty DeSoto!!

27. NYCDrums

NYCDrums

Some 4 doors are cool.

Attached Files:

28. leemotorsports

leemotorsports

I had a 2 door Chevy 210 last year, but had to sell her to pay for insurance just after my wife and I were laid off from our jobs of 13 years.I just bought this '53 Chevy Belair off my brother in law.I currently plan on making a street rod out of her....unless someone comes up with $3,000 first. I enjoy putting around town and getting plenty of attention.

Attached Files:

• q.jpg
      q.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
  29. TriFiveChevyJohn

TriFiveChevyJohn
    from TEXAS!

Here is a 4 door (56 Chevy post) stock car.
    Pics taken in D/FW area ~1968:cool:

Attached Files:

30. Carpet Bomber

Carpet Bomber
    from Minnesota

SOME MUST DIE FOR THE HEALTH OF OTHERS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.