Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

Drill another hole in the cap so that the pressure can’t increase. I have used this method. If more pressure is needed then put a piece of tape over the hole and punch a smaller hole in the tape. You should only need 3 to 4 pounds at most.

loudbang and Bugguts like this.
  2. Oilguy

Oilguy

I forgot about what I used to with hydraulic systems to find a mystery leak in equipment we weren't allowed to run without the safety door closed. I used some Lucas hydraulic oil which is red similar to trans fluid to find the leak. So I did a search for "colored dye for gasoline" and there are several products available. I did not look at any in detail but that may be a safe solution to finding your leak.

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  3. ^^^^ Red gas (or diesel) in a road vehicle will get you in trouble with the tax man around here.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  4. Oilguy

Oilguy

What might be the reason for that? Just curious. What is red gas? Another name for diesel? Not familiar with that term. I noticed there are color options on the dye products I looked at but not in detail as I mentioned earlier. Just a suggestion for him to consider.

loudbang likes this.
  5. It's regular diesel intended for use off road and so the price does not include road duty. Used by farmers in tractors etc. Much, much cheaper than diesel from a regular pump. To stop it being used on the road it is dyed red. There are ways around that.
    Sent from my moto g(8) power using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  6. Oilguy

Oilguy

OK. I was thinking it must have something to do with fuel taxes. Not heard of that issue here in the NW but could possibly exit.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Ever notice that the guys that run dozers and backhoes also seem to drive diesel pickups.;)

H380, sko_ford, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  8. brading

brading

Do not know about the States but over here they also put a chemical in with the red which even if you take the red out the Custom & Exercise can detect.

47chevycoupe and loudbang like this.
  9. Caprice89

Caprice89

Here in the Netherlands, they did that too. But since 2013, the fuel is prohibited. Only in professional shipping it is still allowed.

Sent from my online shouting device

10. Maybe you could use the red gas to revive your sharpies? :rolleyes:

11. RMONTY

RMONTY

Those sorts of comments will leave an indelible mark on this thread.....;)

weps, VANDENPLAS, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Only red sharpies!

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Clearly the Sharpie thread has left a bad taste in your mouths. I recommend trying writing with them instead. YMMV

Chavezk21, VANDENPLAS, brEad and 4 others like this.
  14. hammeredt

hammeredt

Maybe in the the 131 pages this has been done before, but I had a few of these stamped steel screw jacks from another project and just welded some scrap tube on for a simple and cheap, but very effective, spring spreader. Just used it today, thus the pics and the post.

IMG_20201117_144657.jpg IMG_20201117_144702.jpg IMG_20201117_144705.jpg

3dnsouth, whtbaron, bct and 30 others like this.
  15. Jokester

Jokester

Don[t jack it too far, it'll crack your sidewalk!

.bjb

32SEDAN, 61Cruiser, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. Those stamped steel screw jacks come in handy!

17. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Another super easy tool to make. Needed an adjustable spanner wench for working on rear end bearing adjusters. The “pins” are just bolts with the threads machined off (this way they are not only replaceable if you damage one, but you can also have different ones made up if you need another size pin). A drill press and a grinder is all you really need to make one of these - or - get lucky at a swap meet and find a "real" one! 8042E149-6819-4442-B98D-442A5410EA10.jpeg

18. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

BA3387F3-CE3D-45E7-892E-30DC65DB926E.jpeg Here's a SUPER EASY way to form DOMED end caps for various projects - in this case it was a larger sized dome for a PUKE tank for my dragster. The "tool" I made to do this was nothing more than a PVC domed cap from the hardware store - I put some cement in it just to have a flat surface to press against - not sure if that was really necessary or not. In the video you can hear a "pinging" or "cracking" noise - I later discovered that was nothing more than paint chipping off from the scrap metal I was forming.

19. loudbang

loudbang

Ingenious solution. :)

20. A models just keep on giving, I needed a holder for the tig hand peice and the early rods aren’t much favoured so with 5 minutes of mods,, cheers Henry. 7CA6A878-0D2B-4A87-96F2-C53CBDFFEF69.jpeg

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Piston Pin Remover

Ok............I used one of the silver SHARPIES to start this project. You can see that it helps by making a nice easy to see cutting line............Nuff said about that!

I used a piece of pipe and cut it in half. Hole sawed a hole in it and a couple of reference lines on the lathe to help with placing the pin in relation to the hole. Then a couple of legs to support it and a base plate. Pretty simple to make. Got the other half of the pipe left if anyone wants it........:p
    DSCN2714.JPG
    Piston Pin Remover 1x.JPG
    Piston Pin Remover 2x.JPG
    Piston Pin Remover 3x.JPG

Budget36, brEad, Okie Pete and 20 others like this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ekimneirbo, you make the koolest stuff! I don’t have the patience to do that kind of work any more! I guess I just getting grumpy in my old age! :(

Bones

loudbang, deathrowdave and ekimneirbo like this.
  23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Ain't believing that........you got more kool stuff and experiences than the average bear will ever have;)

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Well since Ekimneirbo mentioned Sharpies AND Piston Pin Removal tools :) I can’t help but show my Piston Pin Installation Tool (please note I use a sharpie to remind myself which way the piston notch goes when you’re installing the piston). I see the bumper for securing the piston has fallen off- I guess I’ll have to improve that next time I use this. The rod on the top of the photo is the pin stop -you adjust that so the pin doesn’t go too far in. (BTW that rod is nothing more than a 3/8" bolt with the head turned round and a flat milled on...aka stuff from the junk pile). The screw on the bottom secures the piston to the fixture (I'm thinking I should add an o-ring groove and let the o-ring retain the nub from falling off again.
    No you absolutely do NOT need one of these to install press fit piston pins, but it’s a lot easier if you do and you can make them extremely repeatable. You only got a second or two so it's best to be methodical and this helps IMHO.

P.S. I see Ekimneirbo has added paint to his while mine starts to rust. I may have to step up my game. C5EDC52D-AEDE-458E-961E-16AFF48C7FC0.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    brEad, Okie Pete, The 39 guy and 10 others like this.
  25. this engine crane was modified by a co-worker. he unbolted the legs from an engine crane and mounted it on top of a pallet jack. it will slide under very low cars, moves easily and will place an engine right onto a skid. IMG_1420.JPG IMG_1421.JPG

26. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice idea.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  27. brading

brading

Neat Idea, well done that man.

28. gatz

gatz

great idea !

29. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

E8C70EE5-7286-4786-94A0-5B3E3604B0EC.jpeg 52098312-5A1A-4CBA-BDE5-2BF4CEB1915F.jpeg Got a small shop and have keep equipment stored to the side , etc. Got tired of dragging this English wheel around so dug out the remains of an old floor jack and put them on the back of the English wheel . Now lift the front slightly and I can easily roll it around . And that’s why we don’t throw junk out .....

TFoch, brEad, ekimneirbo and 13 others like this.
  30. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

[​IMG]

I built this mobile paint and storage table in about 30 minutes and cost me zero dollars since I had everything laying around. I really wanted to store all of my Eastwood cans plus have it all organized in a cabinet that I can roll around so I didn’t have to go looking for paint for a small part. Might add a second fan. The top flips out of the way. Super basic compared to other projects here but something I have wanted t get done all year. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.