Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Old Movie Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmy six, Nov 5, 2020.

1. I Dream of Jeannie's Pontac's. It was 1967, and I had a crush on her. I was 16, and dad had just bought a brand new Bonneville convertible. I even drove it to get my driver's license. The D.M.V. officer had me parallel park it where a V/W bug probably had just left. lol I still have that old Bonneville, and still have a crush on Jeannie too!!!!;) Ron........[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Spooky, X-2, Okie Pete and 12 others like this.
  2. Shutt

Shutt

I did that, saw the 1st episode a few days ago. 1st car is a wire-wheeled 60. They change each year I think.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I saw that Leave it to Beaver was mentioned, but not Lumpy Rutherford's car.
    I've always wanted a '40 convertible because of this car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spooky, X-2, Okie Pete and 6 others like this.
  4. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

I've been watching the old TV show Movin' On. It's on Filmrise on Roku. Remember it? Two truckers traveling across the nation. Lots of contemporary (70's) cars/trucks and some older stuff. In Episode 10 of Season 1, "Good for Laughs", set in Hood River, OR and broadcast Nov 28, 1974, there are a couple of scenes with a red 33/34 Ford 5-Window Coupe Hotrod. Sonny and Will "borrowed" it. Since this show was filmed on location, I guessed it was a local car. I looked on IMCDB, but did not see it on the page for Movin' On. Anybody familiar with this car? (I don't know how to make a screen capture.) Thanks.

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

If it is on your laptop, print screen tab does it (PRT SCRN) Some powerful laptops have another button to push along with the PRT SCRN at the same time. If it is on your phone, each phone has two buttons at the same time.

Unless you have an Apple 11 OR 12 the latest update 14 has a new built in tap feature for hitting the back of the phone to do what you want it to do. A print screen or screen capture sound like a perfect thing to update that feature. You can't accidently take a screen capture as you have to tap 3 times.

Any tablet has the same two button feature for a screen capture. most other phones have the same two button feature, too. (android or apple.)

Jnaki

You can always rewind to the spot in the streaming movie and take an actual photograph when you freeze the screen. Sometimes the photo is not the best quality and will need a photo program to clean it up. There is nothing worse than an out of focus photo, copied from an internet website and then try to enlarge it to fill the whole screen. Adjust the photo capture to be able to see the hot rod, smaller until it is clear.
    YRMV

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Thanks

jnaki likes this.
  7. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

This is a photo I took of my TV screen with it paused. Not too blurry. In no scenes do they show the front/grille. That’s a Ford, right?

Attached Files:

Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. mopacltd

mopacltd

Don't like the tail lights

9. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

They look like 65/66 Mustang lights rotated 90.

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-12-1_4-36-47.png upload_2020-12-1_4-37-5.png
    Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and the USO SHOWS

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/happy-veterans-day.1039644/page-4#post-13813336

Hello,

In watching this fabulous streaming channel series “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” it was about the same time period that we had experienced growing up, but on a different coast. The general idea of the show is really good. But, for us, it was the massive amounts of old classic cars of the 50s-60s and an unexpected scenes of drag racing hot rods and cool sedans. Mrs. Maisel was the flag starter of some of the races…
    upload_2020-12-1_4-39-3.png In one episode, she is the starter for a hypothetical drag race between a modified coupe and a 55 Chevy.

upload_2020-12-1_4-39-54.png
    At one time, we thought she was going to do something different, like drive a hot rod in the actual drag race. That would have been something.

upload_2020-12-1_4-40-53.png Rachel Brosnahan is Mrs. Maisel. She is the star and makes the show the best it can be. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is a streaming series that spans quite a variation of locations and time periods. So, for the old car lovers and ID folks, this show is a wonder of old cars. Get ready to start counting.

upload_2020-12-1_4-41-43.png This photo starts the favorite portion of the Amazon Prime Series for my wife. She said it just makes everyone want to get in a convertible and take off all along the coastline, mountains, deserts and anywhere else that makes up a good road trip.

Jnaki

With 8 episodes in season 1 and three, and 10 episodes on season two, will give movie fans a similar feel to watching a movie continuously. For us, it was like watching an on-going two hour movie each time, from the comforts of home, anytime we wanted to watch. No hassle of the airborne-pandemic from movie theaters, either.

EXCERPTS FROM ANOTHER POST:
    upload_2020-12-1_4-43-33.png
    My wife has always wanted a convertible for one of our daily transportation vehicles. So, when we started watching the Amazon Studios’ Marvelous, Mrs. Maisel on the streaming channel, it brought back many memories of those early convertible days with her mom. For you hard core detail people, yes, the convertible has a misaligned door and side trim. The more I watched, I zeroed into the view every time. It is a design as well as a fit and finish problem. The auto tech guys from the studios could have made it better.

In the show, Mrs. Maisel goes from her place to upstate New York for a holiday and then gets a drive home in a pristine red Plymouth Convertible. When my wife saw that, she said…wouldn’t it be nice to get a convertible for one of our two cars? Our granddaughter would flip over and jump right inside. What is it with girls/women and convertibles?

The Mrs. Maisel scenes just made convertible driving look so attractive with the color contrast, the woods, the weather and the empty roads, etc.
    upload_2020-12-1_4-44-50.png
    1957 Plymouth Belvedere Convertible

“As for the show's vehicular tour de force? This gorgeous 1957 Plymouth Belvedere Convertible. The hue is sort of like Revlon's Cherries in the Snow meets Fire and Ice, and it just works, on every single angular level. It's all lines and beauty and sharp edges. We see it on full display in season 2 as the ride of Midge's smitten new beau.”

Mrs. Maisel scene description…

11. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Otis Campbell's car Andy Griffith! [​IMG][​IMG]

Spooky, X-2, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.
  12. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

I have been watching Mrs. Maisel with my wife - kind of a chick-flick, but really entertaining. I've mainly enjoyed all the period-correct cars. Many movies make a few mistakes with the cars they show, like a '63 model shown in a 1960 scene. I always watch for that, but have not seen any mistakes in this series, except maybe the Checker cabs, but who can really tell what year those are.

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have watched the series called Fargo since it began in 2014. It has been on several streaming channels continuously for better viewing without commercials in more recent times. So, the series is now in its 4th season and is pleasurable to watch sans commercials and on a larger tv screen.

Details of old cars come out much better and it is surprising that there are so many “period correct” cars during the whole series. The latest one has its roots in early 40s-50s. it is a pleasure to watch to see the many different ones we have seen over the years.
    upload_2021-1-31_5-51-53.png 1949 Packard
    upload_2021-1-31_5-52-34.png
    49 Packard for the boss and 49 Chevy coupe for the bodyguards

upload_2021-1-31_5-53-14.png
    The 1949 Cadillac looks like our family doctor’s big sedan. It was during the time my dad drove his 49 Buick Roadmaster sedan in the Westside of Long Beach.

My wife even mentioned several cars in the show that she had taken a photo or two at various old car/hot rod gatherings here in So Cal. The series gives an odd ball outlook on history and is a fun show. Sometimes it is a little violent, so, it is not for pre-teens or even teenagers. IOHO.

Jnaki

In this 4th season’s episodes, it takes place during the times we grew up and the cars hit close to home. The cars, yes, the action, not so much. It was a whole different atmosphere in the Midwest.

upload_2021-1-31_5-54-43.png

Okie Pete, chryslerfan55 and cfmvw like this.
  14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1958's Earth vs. the Spider was a cheesy horror flick, but the star of the show rode on four wheels.
    earthVspider-lobby-card.jpg
    Earth-v-Spider-32.jpg

Spooky, Okie Pete, Jack Wagon and 5 others like this.
  16. cfmvw

cfmvw

Funny how doctors always drove big Cadillacs or Buicks back then... I always think of doctors whenever I see one from that era.

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is really good! I've only watched a few episodes and clips, but the work that went into making it as authentic and period correct as possible makes the show that much better.

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

The other day, I watched a movie on the TV about the early days of stock car racing based upon true characters. The main guy drives a '37 Ford tudor and you can tell that it is a modern day build because it runs radial tires on wide five wheels mounted on adapters for a later bolt pattern. Also, in the interior shots, it has shoulder harness seat belt mounts and the windshield is v- butted. Stock cars just aren't what they used to be.

chryslerfan55 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm a hat wearer too. A hat nicely covers my rising hairline and expanding bald spot (my forehead is trying to join up with my bald spot!). Pictures I see of me on stage without a hat are not flattering, so I almost always throw one on. Besides all that, I've had skin cancer once and my dermatologist strongly recommends I wear one. I have a small but expanding collection of hats, but I mostly favor the newsboy style flat caps.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This was on tv last night, not sure which channel, I was channel surfing and stopped to watch it for awhile, it got really cheesy when they killed the spider with electric shock. I didn't see any hot rods.

chryslerfan55 and ClarkH like this.
  20. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It appears in the first half of the film. If you only watched the "exciting" conclusion, you missed it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My wife and I grew up in the 50s and 60s as So Cal locals. We have been through a lot of “stuff”. The things that captured the attention of the rest of the world was happening right in front of our eyes. Being there and involved just felt right. In this old movie, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, it takes us back through words, songs and innuendos of that time period. That time period was very influential when we were teenagers and 20 somethings with the whole world ahead of us. What a world it was, too.

“based on the song of the same name by Lennon–McCartney. It incorporates 34 compositions originally written by members of the Beatles.”

Not everyone can sit down and listen to hours of the Beatles, but this movie took those songs, lyrics and placed them in an order and presentation that was pretty eye opening for us. (The songs were sung by actors, with a few rock stars thrown in as disguises that were innovative.) This movie was/is one of the best movies, ever. It is so creative and the story line was written so we could all watch and learn. Or at least, remember those times of growing up innocent and had the look of amazement at what was happening in our world.

The cars in the movie hit close to home as they were easily identified as we watched the whole thing for the third time over the years. It was a travel back in time, both in the movie and in our collective memories of that time period. We associated with those characters and it was a time to remember how we liked the situation we were growing up as adults with creative ideas and thoughts.

The cars of the movie were varied and one spot, my wife blurted out, “There is my old Corvair painted black.”
    upload_2021-2-6_5-3-12.png

The action rolls past, but it is difficult to see the markings. The 62 Corvair was her first daily driver in high school, work, and college. It pops up later in the city scenes, too. There was a 1958 big Buick 4 door sedan that was very similar to her grandfather’s new blue 58 Buick 4 door sedan. It was a huge car with tons of chrome.
    upload_2021-2-6_5-4-3.png
    We also associated with the quick scene of the 1958 Chevy sedan, a possible 58 Bel Air in a downtown scene. It was easily identified with that distinct one of a kind front end.

upload_2021-2-6_5-5-51.png
    The movie takes the viewer all over, but it mostly takes place in New York. There is one scene on the waterfront that clearly cool 1960 Cadillac 2 door is sitting on the dock of the bay.
    upload_2021-2-6_5-6-28.png

Jnaki

This movie has a ton of cool characters, while we follow the "growing up" period of each one and their quirks. The 1960 Buick convertible belongs to one of the main characters and is prominent in the whole movie.
    upload_2021-2-6_5-7-7.png
    What is one to think about the music? We have all of the original Beatles albums, have listened time and time again, read quite a few books and lyrics to see how and why it was written. This movie gives an interpretation of those songs and lyrics that works, whether or not it is the way it felt at the time or a “could have been” scenario. It looks like it was exactly how, but it is a great work of fiction.
    upload_2021-2-6_5-7-57.png
    A 1962 Plymouth 4 door sedan makes a quick appearance, but it is a sad one.

At any rate, it is a movie that can be watched time and time again. Great lyrics, great characters and scenes. For us, it was a time warp back to the days of old. It was a good time to be teenagers/20 somethings with the future ahead of us and accepting all that life had to offer us, including music. Plus the old cars of the time weren’t too bad, either.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  22. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

In what must be the weirdest Route 66 episode, Tod and Buzz somehow end up in Gloucester, MA which everyone knows is miles away from Route 66 and the Corvette Mako Shark I makes an appearance:

[​IMG]

The episode is Once To Every Man, available here: Hope Baron sees this.

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny but never knew them as newsboys even though I saw many on TV in the 50’s. At about 12 I started calling them “Strokers” because of Stroker Mc Gurk on the car books. Got my mom to take me to JC Pennys downtown to buy them in the painters coveralls department. Cost a $1.00 back then...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    X-2, Jack Wagon and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was watching ADAM-12 last week and Reed & Malloy were pulling into a corner lot, in the background pulling up to the stoplight was a primered 55 Nomad with gray 5 spokes and fat tires. Sorry I don't have the episode number or name.

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-9-12_4-51-48.png

Hello,

My wife and I have been watching 4 seasons about the starting of the computer industry in the USA. The term “streaming” shows causes what is known as “binge watching.” It then becomes a continuous movie in successive chapters.

"Halt and Catch Fire" takes place in Texas and moves to the center of Silicon Valley in California’s S.F. Bay Area. Most of the cars seen for three seasons are not up to HAMB rules. But, in Season 4, one episode shows a very cool Mercury Comet of the early history of the characters.
    upload_2021-9-12_4-52-47.png
    Season 4 episode 8 Halt and Catch Fire

When we were watching the scene with the star of the show, Scoot McNairy, it was full sound at night. When he approached his car, the Comet, he got in and started the motor. My wife said it sounded like a high-performance motor. What a cool sound, as he drove away and accelerated.
    upload_2021-9-12_4-53-29.png

Jnaki

If you watch both of the shows that we happen to watch in succession, it is a world of difference that the "Narcos" character (2018-2020 NARCOS, MEXICO main character) and the computer character are played by the same actor. It was a challenging effort both times. But, completely different and by the end of the Halt and Catch Fire show, the Narcos character was just another fading memory character.

This show, Halt and Catch Fire, is a character driven show and was fun to see the beginning of the industry that has changed most of our lives for the positive aspects. (both shows are excellent in their presentations, but may NOT be for young family members)

We all remember our early game units, controllers, computers, funny keyboards and floppy discs. YRMV

26. Just got signed for my car and I to appear in an upcoming HBO miniseries "White House Plumbers" starring Woody Harrelson and other actors I'm not familiar with. It's about Nixon and the Watergate scandal. Should be fun and will put some spending money in my pocket... 20210523_172847.jpg

X-2, Okie Pete, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  27. RmK57

RmK57

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, one of my favorite car movies or any movie for that matter.

Good variety of vehicles but the Mopars are the best represented throughout.

mad mad world.jpg

Spooky, X-2, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One show I haven't seen mentioned is The Waltons. As the years progress on the show and the kids become of age, you start to see more vehicles besides the AA truck. The youngest boy was driving a white fenderless roadster on one I saw the other day.

X-2 likes this.
  29. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

You see the way he just sailed right out there?

charleyw, X-2 and wheeldog57 like this.
  30. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Greased Lighting
    868.jpg