Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dean Moon of Mooneyes a photographer ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Nov 15, 2020.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Knew of his Moon equipment story but came across this article that he was also a photographer. :eek:

From Hot Rod: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrxp-1207-dean-moon-vintage-photos/

Dean Moon demonstrated what photographers call "a good eye" long before the first pair of Moon eyes appeared on Creighton Hunter's T roadster. Now that we've seen the Greg Williams collection and examined the few rolls of Dean's medium- and large-format film that wound up in the Petersen archive, we're even more impressed. An unusually high percentage of those frames are impressive, if not extraordinary, for both composition and technical quality. The earliest rolls are big 4x5s, four frames per roll. More than once, it's been challenging to pick a favorite among the four negatives.

The military must've felt the same way about the film they saw, because Dean spent his Korean War years teaching photography to recruits and flying over this country with a camera, instead of crawling across that one with an M-14. Soon after separation, the Moon byline and photo credits started showing up regularly in HOT ROD and other publications. Dean's black-and-white product shots in Moon Automotive and, later, Moon Equipment Co. catalogs set an industry standard. The catalogs themselves set another.

And here there is only one caption given. I have seen most of these and even posted some of the shots right here on the HAMB and never knew Moon took them :)

For a guy with a booming business back home, Dean sure got around as a photographer and enjoyed excellent access to various motorsports. He wisely climbed something to obtain this killer close-up of Bill Vukovich (facing camera, center left) examining the Borg-Warner Trophy after he won his first of two consecutive Indy 500s in 1953

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5 posted.jpg

6.jpg

7 posted.jpg

8a.jpg

8b.jpg

8c glass slipper roadster.jpg

8d.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Spirit of America
    11 sprit of america1.jpg

11 sprit of america2.jpg

That's it hope you enjoyed some more History. ;)

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Dean was an excellent photographer as was George Barris. And, both of them were masters at self promotion. Like Roth, Dean had his logo inked on his bicep log before tats were mainstream.

LOU WELLS, aircap, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  3. fleetside66

fleetside66

Never knew. I guess I was just looking at the pictures in Hot Rod back then. Thanks Bang!

1688624_431174093682186_294266132_n.jpg

4. Great photos, and a COOL thread also. So thanks { LOUDBANG }! I appreciate all your time and effort. :)

hotrodjack33, AHotRod, Deuces and 2 others like this.

5. I knew that Dean Moon was a talented photographer and I've seen at least some of his credited work over the years. But most of the photos you've posted above are shots that I believe I'm seeing for the first time. It's obvious that he had a great eye for this type of work, or more accurately, a great "pair" of eyes.

If I remember correctly, Funny Car racer Whit Bazemore also worked (and maybe still does) as a professional photographer

Thanks for posting these Loudbang! I just need to keep trying to develop my own pair of "Moon-eyes" when I'm working behind the camera.
    :rolleyes:

Deuces, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Dang Bang! You made me smarter today! That's really interesting, thank ya sir :D

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

He sure liked taking pictures of the ladies at Bonneville. He got my buddy's 17 year old daughter to pose on his car once. She was wearing a tight bathing suit and was pretty cute, But not good at posing. Dean told her to arch her back. She went the wrong way. He told her n "no. Lean back" She said "I don.t know what you want." Dean said "Stick your tits out" Karen got it right that time. Have a better Karen and Don Ferguson story for some other time.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks for sharing Loudbang

loudbang likes this.
  9. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Great pics thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't know any of this either. Had seen several of those pics over the years and never conected them to Dean Moon. Thanks @loudbang

loudbang likes this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope some of his old catalog covers can be posted, really great quality photos. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Only found a couple so far :)

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

13. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Great post, thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  14. X-cpe

X-cpe

M-1

loudbang likes this.
  15. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

ordered some disk covers back around 1979 and they came with photos of his cars and women. Much cooler than the stickers you get from other suppliers. Wish I could find them.

loudbang likes this.
  16. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Pioneer In Hot Rodding.. Scan0007.jpg

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.