Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford Flathead V8 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Christopher Miller, Dec 26, 2019.

1. rusty valley

rusty valley

truck is looking good. all your hard work is about to pay off. i would be very concerned about that fan. did you make the adapter all perfectly true? original pulleys have a raised up shoulder to get the fan hub dead center, and keep it there. have you spun it around to watch how straight it runs? i would be more concerned about that then how much it weighs. these things will fly right thru the hood, or take your face off if you are standing there. an original fan should not be too hard to find, or too expensive.

2. While I haven’t spun it yet my father and I have been working to make it so it spins with little weight thrown around. We have a drill press and a base that holds circular objects and can be adjusted by degrees. We used it to make sure all holes were same distance from the center and same distance from each other. The more my dad and I have thought about it we decided we will work to find something other than the setup at hand. After weighing all the parts in the fan assembly the fan itself and not the pulley or extension weighs easily about 60-75% of the setup’s overall weight. We are looking to find a plastic fan of some kind that can hook right up to what we have instead of the metal fan. We just don’t want to risk it. Everything should be very true to the center just because of how we drilled the holes and the hardware as well. I have also investigated eBay for fans as well and there are a few for decent pricing that would have been identical to the original.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. I’m not a big fan of working with wood but I gave it a shot today and it’s decent I’d say. Welded in new hinges as one was missing and the other was hanging on barely and very rotted away. The seat still needs sanded, stained, and painted with some urethane. A good start to the interior which is next

Really trying to distance myself from anything that could mess up the paint job I just did to the truck. About a month until I can really be in there working on assembly of all the pieces I just did. I want to focus on the interior next and the more mechanical pieces will be last. Get all the time consuming pieces done with so I can focus on all the functionalities of this vehicle like brakes, window actuators, gas, electrical, radiator, alternator, all those kinds of things

IMG_5617.JPG IMG_5618.JPG IMG_5619.JPG 62681382061__5C9C46D4-828A-4079-803D-332451E72A15.JPG IMG_5621.JPG IMG_5624.JPG IMG_5625.JPG IMG_5621.JPG

Attached Files:

4. IMG_5654.JPG

Got the backing on the back of the top of the seat. It’s just putting the fabric on it, staining the wood, painting it with urethane, and screwing it all together

rusty valley likes this.
  5. IMG_5675.JPG

Top of seat wrapped in burlap with foam underneath

6. And while the top pieces of wood were able to be screwed on, the bottom had to be approached differently. Here I used these little clips, about 50 of them attatched by self tapping screws to hold the wood to the springs and it’s metal frame

IMG_5676.JPG IMG_5678.JPG IMG_5677.JPG

Petejoe and rusty valley like this.
  7. For the fan, there is a plastic fan the Model A vendors sell.

Mike

Christopher Miller likes this.
  8. IMG_5691.JPG IMG_5693.JPG IMG_5692.JPG
    Burlap stapled down and really gives it it’s shape. Next is to make the actual seat cover of the brown interior fabric

210superair likes this.
  9. Blows my mind we’re even here. It came so far from being such a rust box. Dusty as ever from sitting and allowing the paint to cure but still shiny as all get out.

Really trying to wrap up the interior next
    IMG_5771.JPG

10. As I investigate the electronics in the truck to gear up to do the work I was wondering what these electrical components are?

View attachment 4889187 IMG_5801.JPG View attachment 4889187

Let me know what you think. Trying to find wiring diagrams for a Flathead as well that maps out all the wiring so if you can link a wiring diagram or even point me in the right direction I would be very thankful

Attached Files:

11. Are you doing 6 or 12 volt?

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

your part in question, on the left, the small one is the resistor for the ignition wire to coil, the bigger thing is a circuit breaker

14. I will be converting This to a 12 volt

15. Project has not died by any means just working on something I’m not too good at and want to make it turn out well. So here I am almost done with the backing. Yes it’s only the backing I still have a whole bottom to do but I believe this is one of the more harder tasks this project has thrown at me. Not wanting to pay for an interior job just because there’s lot to be learned and saved as well as keeping it very much my project. So here’s how the back has gone.

IMG_5902.JPG IMG_5903.JPG

The edge is stapled on and next I will take the back layer, pull it tight, and tack it with decorative upholstery tacks all the way around

Petejoe likes this.
  16. A big hold up lately has been how to do a headliner.. seems like it should be easy but definitely not. I don’t even have the slightest clue as to how these truck headliners looked or were even constructed. So here I am and I’ve thrown many ideas around. Things like building a metal cage inside or making a headboard out of chicken wire and paper mache then resin but nothing was striking me as a good idea. So very puzzled but found this link and this seems like the best idea yet. Trial #3 and I think I’ll be able to rolling finally.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/headliner-installation.html

17. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

18. Thanks!

19. 66gmc

66gmc

I admire your patience and attention to detail, keep up the great work and don't beat yourself up too much if things aren't perfect. Every vehicle has flaws, even the 6 figure show cars, besides the work you've done looks pretty damn good from where I'm sitting!

20. Another thing that has been slowing me down that I knew but didn’t really connect is preparing my workshop as I get closer to winter. It’s right around the corner and I needed a space to work that wasn’t 5° like outside. Sooo... using tarp, scrap wood boards, and plywood to create some sort of wall around my workshop. Tarps to stop some wind. Plywood to back it up. Trying to keep wind and cold out so when I use heaters the heat doesn’t just go right out the walls. This is not huge but will make a huge difference to the progress of this build and how fast I can get it done. I’m a sucker to cold so I wouldn’t get much done this winter otherwise. Workshop is a mess but here’s what I’ve done. I’m about 2/3rds of the way done with the walls and i don’t know about the ceiling but there’s tarp on a lot of it and a good base as it’s flooring for the upstairs. Praying this keeps some heat in this winter

IMG_6014.JPG 62917269320__AC15BDEF-9129-4F4A-9220-177D83774D67.JPG

IMG_6016.JPG

I’ll have to post a picture when I’m done to show I reorganized the mess I’ve created in this process lol

simplestone likes this.
  21. Mart

Mart

Good progress, Chris. Having a comfortable workspace makes all the difference.

22. Finished the top by putting in some upholstery nails to hold the back on. This is a wrap for the top of the seat. Here’s how it turned out
    IMG_6093.JPG IMG_6092.JPG
    IMG_6094.JPG IMG_6096.JPG IMG_6097.JPG IMG_6098.JPG

Now onto the bottom of the seat...

Mart and KiWinUS like this.
  23. Did a lot of planning of the headboard today

IMG_6131.JPG IMG_6137.JPG
    IMG_6136.JPG

Finding out I’m running out of headroom quickly so have to modify it a lot but I think I can make it work

rusty valley likes this.
  24. rusty valley

rusty valley

25. IMG_6164.JPG

Getting the bottom planned out. Dad helped with the last one but taking the forefront on this one, praying for the best. Went back to the seat because I’d really like a good measurement of headroom when making the headliner. Concerned for lack of headroom and things like that.

26. IMG_6165.JPG
    One corner done, had a lot of complications leading up to this point. Going to go do the other side next

27. Wrapped up all the corners and ready to staple it down. Simpler design than the top and easier to do as I didn’t have all sides to cover. I’ll try to get to stapling tomorrow to show you guys. I think it’ll shape out pretty well, really hoping for no creases.

IMG_6170.JPG IMG_6171.JPG IMG_6172.JPG IMG_6173.JPG IMG_6169.JPG

rusty valley likes this.
  28. Mart

Mart

Christopher, I don't know if you watch Cold War motors on YouTube, but Scott on there had been showing some upholstery work lately. Might be worth a look.

29. Seat is wrapped up and ready to be bolted together and I have to say it’s both comfortable and appealing. Diamonds go all the same direction from top to bottom and are not conflicting anywhere. Little to no bunches and overall very pleased with the turnout
    IMG_6179.JPG IMG_6178.JPG IMG_6182.JPG IMG_6176.JPG IMG_6177.JPG

rusty valley, simplestone and Boryca like this.