Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I bought a really ugly hot rod !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Nov 15, 2020.

1. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

I'm just a noob here, but isn't this the "JALOPY" Journal? I say clean up the rear end, put a coon tail on the antenna (if it's got one, put one on it if it ain't) and drive it with a shit eatin grin!
    Jerry

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Door tops and cowl top look like rounded off closed car (Squirrel suggested Vicky and may be correct) as they don't have the Roadster reveal or curvature.

3. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

The old saying don't throw the baby out with the bath water comes to mind...yeah if those were roadster parts it's a no brainer but...I don't think they are...so if not they are either a clever modern welding and patina job or a piece of 1950's leaded art! Mysteries will be revealed when you have a look under the cowl/dash and behind the door cards (like why is the body bead pointed on the cowl?) if it's the former so what?...cool '33-4's have been built starting with less ('33 roadster being my favourite Ford) but if it is the latter that's what the HAMB is all about! Back in the '50's it was not at all uncommon to see a model 40 stuck on a Deuce frame! In fact at a certain point in time it was all the fashion...especially early '50's east coast... therefore it is traditional. So now you have a simple job of hacking off that fugly ass end whether it was done in the '50's or '90's it's gotta go...the cool thing is you can lengthen the cockpit area by leaving part of the panel behind the doors when you weld the '34 coupe 1/4's on...you might even be able to use the trunk lid skin...and here's the very best part...you get to drive it the whole time!!! yeah even with the ass end hacked off you can still make it to cruise night as long as the taillights work! who ever gets that luxury? especially when it comes to those long term "lose interest" projects...this thing is done except the 1/4s! Happy motoring...

4. wildwest

wildwest

5. wildwest

wildwest

I don't think the spray foam is original, but...

Tman and -Brent- like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest

sorry for the bad pictures, cell phone in one hand, flashlight in the other !
    1116202045.jpg 1116202046.jpg 1116202047.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  7. wildwest

wildwest

8. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

It’s an old hotrod & I dig it! I’d be proud burn some rubber in it!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

49ratfink likes this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest

After peeling back the plastic interior panels, I am about 99.6% sure it is a phaeton that had it's rear door skins and back panels sectioned into several pieces and welded back into a two-door tub of sorts. It's hard to get pics, but the top rail of the body is not fabricated, it's stamped that way. It aperars the rear door skins were de-hinged and welded to the center posts.
    1116202106.jpg 1116202107.jpg 1116202108.jpg

Squablow, 35cab, tb33anda3rd and 2 others like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest

I can't get the rear interior panels all the way off without removing the seats, and I'm just not into that tonight ! I tried to get the best pictures I could holding the panel open. The hammer-welding looks pretty good !

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's "awkward", but it's pretty cool, in a sort of "good to be bad" kinda way.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  12. wildwest

wildwest

I think the door post mean Phaeton also, because it has the (now hidden) provisions for regular opening doors in back, not suicide, what other 33-34 Ford would have that ?

Nailhead A-V8 and Squablow like this.
  13. Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.
    I would turn off the head lights and make it drive backwards...

15. terry54999

terry54999
    from livonia mi

The windshield frame and posts are post war mercedes, probably a 170. I had a 37 230 and they are close, but mine was mush wider.

16. I'd get some 34 quarters, 34 grill, and a trunk lid, and have at it! That's fuckin UGLY!!! I've seen worse though....

The37Kid likes this.
  17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That weird bustle on the back has to go, but it has possibilities. I have a 34 frame, grill and hood, just how much work will it take to make something respectable out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Joe DeBattista

Joe DeBattista

That's a trippy one, looks like it had good intentions at least.

19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Could take the bustle off and replace it with a 33-34 Ford Potter trunk, if full fendered it have that European look.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. wildwest

wildwest

It would look like the two tone brown one posted on page 2, pretty neat. Its amazing how solid the doors feel and shut now that I have seen how they are built ! Maybe an Aussie Phaeton ?

It's kind of funny, I just bought the thing to keep the chassis for another 32 project and sell the Body parts to help off-set the cost, and I thought it was uglier than a $2 haircut, but with some Steve's 1/4 panels, it's really not too far from a steel roadster. A 33-34 grill and hood tops would make a world of difference.

I was hoping the windshield was going to be worth something to a Mercedes guy, but it's been cut and narrowed so I guess it will live on this body until I sell it. Which sucks, because It looks to be off about a 1937 540K Cabriolet type B, and that would have been a nice bit to sell !

Nailhead A-V8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. If you're skeered about what someone might say, you don't belong here. Drive it!

Budget36 and 51504bat like this.
  22. cfmvw

cfmvw

From the doors forward it has nice proportions. Maybe that bulbous rear could be replaced with something that resembles a boat tail speedster?

46international likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rack body pickup for swap meet use is a better option IMo_O_O Bob

24. wildwest

wildwest

Anyone with more experience than me that can look at the additional pictures I posted last night and confirm my suspicions that its an open car cowl & doors ?

25. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

@Elvis100 ? have a look at some of Elvis' posts on door wood...
    I'm intrigued by the Ozzie body idea... @drylakespeedshop were phaeton door tops from downunda similar to these?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  26. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I like where this is going...subscribed

-Brent- likes this.
  27. wildwest

wildwest

It would be a good hot rod body for someone, but not something I need in the fleet. I guess I will post it in the classifieds Body and windshield for $3500 sound about right ? or if anyone really wants the whole thing, $14,500 running and driving and titled with a modern 34 Ford Title (branded: "replica").

I really just want the chassis, but if somebody wants to carry on the vision of the car, or make it into a roadster or tub with real 34 stuff, probably not a bad deal. It has a 350 and 700R4, 9" rear, powdercoated speedway 32 chassis, etc.

Automotive Stud, Tman and -Brent- like this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

I think that's a real good price for that body and it should find a buyer. And I'd rather see your car spawn 2 hotrods than try to blend that body into the '32 stuff, it just doesn't work on that frame with that grille.

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

A face only moms and puppy’s like

30. If that had been your grandpa's car, you would make a rolling shrine out of it and fight anybody who didn't smile and nod their head. :cool:

Budget36 likes this.