Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan seats

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 54FISH, Nov 14, 2020.

1. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello , first I apologize for the drunken rant about my seat problem the other night . I have figured it out , the rear seat I have is for a hardtop & not a 2 Dr. Sedan . It is restored & I don't think it will fit my sedan . If anyone has or know of someone with a 1954 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan rear seat , PLEASE let me know . I will post these on the classified ads . Again Sorry about loosing it ,but lately I have been trying to move ahead with project , but keep going in reverse rather than forward . Happy Holidays to All!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Is it just the cushion that will not fit or both,if you could find sedan seat frames the covers could be made to fit. I think 4 door sedans have the same frames and know of some in a local junkyard.

3. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for reply , Not real sure but the hard top rear seat cushion frame will not lock into pockets in floor ( they are not in line at all) ,Also there is no cut out for driveshaft tunnel on hard top bottom cushion frame . All pictures of cars I have gone thru show the 2 & 4 door rear seat cushions having the drive shaft tunnel cut out in them . Another is the hard top rear seat back rest has an extension that sticks out on each side which fits above arm rest in back seat , Sedans look like they are just tapered in a little from lower cushion up to package tray area.i found a set ( covered ,but will need recovering ) but gotta drive 12 hrs. To get em . I have my original back rest but bottom frame was rotted to nothing . So if I can find lower rear cushion for 2 door sedan closer to me , that would be nice . Will get something figured out . Have to post thus hardtop rear seat . Shame it's new recovered too . Hope someone can use it. I may just wait to see if I bag rear & modify tunnel before I get a seat for it . Alex Gambinos FU54 looks like the rear seat is deleted . We'll see. Thanks ,really appreciate reply , maybe taking car to Boris for air ride in Ohio .

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you have to drive 12 hours to get a seat that might not work, why not modify what you currently have to fit? My back seat is cobbled together with parts of the original and some obscure donor seat.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

6. It's human nature to get pissed off brother, and there's nothing more fun than a drunken rant ;) wish i could help with the seat but i don't have anything around here like that:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Did you get both the front and rear seats.

8. Squablow

Squablow

4 door bottoms are rounded at each end and the 2 door sedan corners are squared, so they are not the same. It would fit in there, but look awkward. It's not impossible to rebuild a 4 door seat bottom and square off the ends but a 2 door sedan seat bottom to start with would be a heck of a lot easier. The hardtop seat is pretty rare, you'll be able to sell that for decent money to go toward your other seat frame.

54FISH and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the replys , I thought the 4dr. & 2dr. We're the same . Everywhere I searched , the answer was the 2 & 4 dr.s are interchangeable . Have to look at that a little better . Junkyardjeff , yes I have both font & rear seats . Fronts fit great . So I'm gonna have to find 2dr. Sedan seat bottom , I have a good backrest( original & get both recovered .Would be best route & sell this hardtop rear seat . THANKS BROTHERS , EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT SAFE HOLIDAY!!! And if anyone has a lead on a 2dr. Sedan rear seat bottom or assembly , please ..... Let me know . The search is on .

Attached Files:

Squablow likes this.
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You might be able to use the sedan rear seat if you can get the parts off a hard top to make it fit right,there should be like a shelve that attaches to the floor where the cushion sits if its like other 2 door hard tops I am familiar with and should be armrests that go on the rear panels. The next time I go to the local old junkyard I will see if there is a hard top in it to see how it goes togather.

11. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really appreciate it Junkyardjeff , I made the rear quarter panels myself & used the new sedan armrest with ashtrays , so I'm going to stick with them , really appreciate it tho brother . I talked to NCA , they will sell me 2 Dr. Sedan bottom frame only for $300 + s/h !?? They have a complete 2 Dr. Sedan rear seat , needs new recover $400+ $100 s/h . Selling these rear redone hardtop seats will pay for some . NCA not willing to trade my redone hardtop for their needing sedan seats ( understandable , nobody knows buyers color combo needs) . So other work will be priority & again thanks to all . Please be safe & have a great holiday !!! Miss going to car shows & Auctions especially Flemming's Pumpkin Run !!! Please be safe All !!!

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A good upholstery shop should be able to make the hard top covers fit the sedan frames so they will match the fronts.

13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Wish you were closer. I would sell you my seats for $200. Both top and bottom. IMG_20201112_200200.jpg IMG_20201112_200211.jpg

14. Squablow

Squablow

^^ that one looks like another 4 door bottom. The ends should be square for a 2 door sedan.

15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

It came out of my 54 2 door sedan.