Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The "best" HAMB-friendly car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikko_, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

As some of you know, I'm slowly putting together a 40's style hot rod based on a '28 Model A Phaeton.
    Since that is an open top car, and I live in Sweden where there isn't a whole lot of sunshine I've come to the conclusion that I will be needing something with a roof, and a heater too.

Not looking for a big project, just something relatively cheap (around 10k) to have some fun with while I tinker with the Model A.

What would you get and why?
    I've been looking at 41-54 Fords myself but might wanna expand my search a bit.

Not asking you to tell me what to buy, just looking for inspiration and advice.

2. 49-54 chevies are cheap , easy and fun to put together and have fun with.

anything from the mid 40’s to mid 60’s in a 4 door can usually be had for a bargain.

I would stay away from late 50’s early 60’s mopars simply because parts availability can be a pain for body panels, trim and interior.

pick ups are fun and lots available for them as well.

3. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I'll look into Chevies some more.

Pickups, I have considered something like a 57-60 F100 but I think I want something with a backseat, but maybe.

4. Mimilan

Mimilan

Get a 1964 Chevy [the newest HAMB friendly car] with 327 and 'glide.

Line-bore the 327 block to large journal and drop a 3.75 stroker kit into it [or grind the mains]
    You'll end up with a period looking 383
    Stock or Corvette Rams-horn with a decent 3" big bore single exhaust

And ditch the glide for a 700 R4 or 4L60

Then drive the wheels off it

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020