Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford pickup old hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Nov 14, 2020.

1. On Wednesday I had to travel across the state, and naturally I browsed what was for sale on Facebook Marketplace along the route I was taking. I saw his 40 after only being listed for 12 minutes. I sent the seller a message and called me that evening stating I was the first of a huge line of people wanting to come look at this pickup. I arranged to be there early the next morning, hooked up my trailer, and the next day braved the freezing fog and heading to central WA.
    This truck was sitting in an out building taken apart for 30ish years before the guy I got it from about 5 years ago. It’s the remains of a 60’s/70’s old hot rod, with zero running gear and a frame that has Mustang II, older TCI looking X member and parallel leaves. The dash has been butchered in favor of a wood insert, but aside from that and a little rust in the floors, it’s a very solid, very strait pickup. All the glass and door guts have been removed in preparation to sandblasting, which thankfully never happened. The whole truck is completely disassembled, but it looks like most all of it is there. I can’t believe how strait it is, this morning I couldn’t help myself and mocked it together to see what I have to work with.

my plan? Find a more stock frame and put it together going more early 60’s style that 70’s style. Repair the dash and fix the floor. Buff the paint (I tried the passenger area cab) Lower it as far as I can and give it some period custom touches and drive it

E36B03C7-EC96-4BB8-84D1-BAFF86274DD4.jpeg A8973BFF-1495-4676-B4F2-D8C657FC9E78.jpeg 93F16A06-127B-46A5-961A-A6E6225A6181.jpeg CB25D2B3-7F4C-46FD-A44A-27B88F979A04.jpeg 0D4486E7-7EE6-4C9F-AE8F-D2640BFC3A3B.jpeg 04BF2C64-9439-4DAF-993D-C8BC47A1027F.jpeg 24A87923-EC41-469B-A6C7-5F026F001410.jpeg 3854C04C-4504-4948-BB4F-42634B2493A0.jpeg

2. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Nice! Lucky dog.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Always liked 40 Ford PUs, my dad had done some horse trading in the 60’s for one, I wasn’t even ten at the time

My job? Clean the truck and he said “Mike, you can have anything you find”. So after some change here and there and the odd 19/32 wrench, I got him to help me pull up the seat. Was full of old newspapers and trash. When I got to the bottom I found a bayonet in a sheath.
    Still have the wrench and what I found out was a WW2 German bayonet, kinda wish I didn’t hack on every tree and branch with it now;)

Looks like a cool truck Chris. If you head down this way, I’ve a 36 PU frame you can haul back, not pristine, but complete.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This brought back a 60 (or more) year old memory, as a kid growing up in SW Iowa on a farm in the 50's the local farmers were buying pickups. Dad got a new 49 Chevy pickup but the neighbor (who had more kids than my folks) didn't have quite as much money or he was just more frugal. He picked up a truck about like the one pictured (in black or dark blue??) with an abbreviated exhaust system, that old flat motor sounded so good, would have much rather dad would have had that ratty old pickup than the nice one he had. I wasn't the smartest kid I guess. I hope I don't stumbled on a project like that one or will want to buy it:)

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and Budget36 like this.

5. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool find. There’s not a better looking truck than a 40 Ford ever built.imho

Stogy likes this.
  6. He strikes gold AGAIN!!
    Great score. The Pacific NW is the mother lode.
    Good deal that you were first on the list.

Stogy likes this.
  7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Nice. Good job being on top of that.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Very nice. Love it.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Great score Chris!

Stogy likes this.
  10. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Chris strikes again. Hell, your mock ups look better then some of the finished products I've seen on here.

Moondog13, Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  11. 6sally6

6sally6

Nice find!!
    I have NEVER understood how.............with all the rainy weather during the winter......there is so much vintage stuff still sitting around in Wash State. :confused:
    Already got snow?!!! Early......even for you guyz, right?!
    40 Ford pick-ups......just ooze hot rod-ness.
    I hope old Henry paid his designers well back then......they did great work!
    6sally6

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. have you ever been to WA state? He whole center (where this truck came from) is a desert

yes, way to early for snow. Is nearly gone now

Stogy and warbird1 like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good pull Chris, I'll be waiting for the updates. Glad I got those bumpers from you before you found the truck. :cool:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats

Stogy likes this.
  15. dwollam

dwollam

I've owned two '41 Ford pickups, one of them twice. The first was a carry over '40 with all trim and dash 1940 but '41 numbers and title. The 2nd was a true '41 except for the stuck 283 and a GMC bed and rear fenders. I put a '39 bed on it and kept the Jimmy rear fenders. I still have the original frame from the 2nd '41 but it isn't pristine by any means and not ready to give it up yet.

Dave

Stogy likes this.
  16. Great score, I kinda like the flames.

Stogy likes this.
  17. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

of course you found a 40 ....congrats

Stogy and -Brent- like this.
  18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great find Chris! You sure have a knack for finding these Ford treasures. I am sure you will make it into a cool ride on a tight budget as usual.

Stogy likes this.
  19. 6sally6

6sally6

Yep I been there!...........Only problem is....... I ASS-umed all Wash weather was like the Gig Harbor/Puget Sound area! (where people RUST not tan!)
    Gotta make a mental note about how high those Cascade mountains are!!!:eek:
    A state with TWO extreme types of weather!
    Sorry for the mix-up
    6sally6
    Nice ride BTW

warbird1 likes this.
  20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I agree . Lucky dog.:) My ‘48 F1 was a similar early 70’s hot rod build. Updated 12” discs and power steering, 289/C4 , 1968 Camaro 12 bolt rear and painted brown . Flip front end, really nice set of factory gauges , clean title and vin tags. Fun to find good candidate’s with some cool add on’s . Enjoy.

21. Yes, I am on the opposite side of the state, Spokane is 30 miles from Idaho and our weather is very different than the coast, thanks mostly to that big mountain range on the W side of the state. It's all desert and wheat fields West and South of me...go East a little and it becomes more mountains and beautiful lakes. I love living here. Luckily we get snow, that keeps a lot of people away HAHAHA.

-Brent- and warbird1 like this.
  22. What’s the latest on the 40? As fast as you get stuff done, it ought to be close to driving.:D

Hamtown Al likes this.
  23. It's a long story and I won't get into details, but to settle a family dispute my brother owns this 40 now. I sure would have liked to put it together. Maybe I'll find another one down the road.

cactus1 likes this.
  24. Dang! Life throws us some curves every once in a while.
    You still have the HAMB’s most perfect 34 roadster!

25. yeah I’m over it now. My brothers been wanting a 40 pickup a long time. He asked me to sell it to him numerous times and I finally did, although the way he went about it wasn’t the best way. But- he’s my bother and I love him, and there are other old pickups out there :)

cactus1 likes this.
  26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Hopefully you'll find another one soon!
    My brother and I are very close and always have been, but he is not at all into hot rods and customs. So I guess that is a blessing in some ways!

27. I love '40 Ford pickups. Hope you find another.