Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 47 Lincoln brake help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strolldaddy, Nov 14, 2020.

1. strolldaddy

strolldaddy
    from Georgia

Attempting to rebuild brakes on a 47 Lincoln convertible. Can’t seem to locate the correct wheel cylinders for this car. Order set from Boos-Herrel but they don’t fit my backing plate. Not not sure if these are correct backing plates for the car. Any Lincoln experts here?

Attached Files:

2. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

This is what your front axle should look like, and the backing plates should look like these. The rear look the same but have a emergency brake tube and are shallower at the mounting holes. Hope this helps, let me know if you need more pictures.

Attached Files:

stillrunners likes this.
  3. strolldaddy

strolldaddy
    from Georgia

The Lincoln I’m working on has independent front suspension.

Attached Files:

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I think the car you're working on must be a 49 !

5. strolldaddy

strolldaddy
    from Georgia

This car is rough and yes looks like body has been swapped on another frame. Looked at wheel cylinders for 49 and they still don’t look right won’t fit that D shaped hole in the backing plate

6. Those springs don't look right either. Have they been heated to lower them? Several coils look bound without weight on them!

7. strolldaddy

strolldaddy
    from Georgia

Can you identify the backing plate in my original post? Car looks to have been frame swapped. The backing plate has FOMOCO stamp and Bendix part#

8. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

The backing plates you have are definitely not 1946 to 1948 Lincoln. I have several sets of Lincoln pre 48 brakes and your backing plate is much different. Bendix stamped on the backing plate would indicate the backing plate is Lincoln, probably newer than the pre 1948 backing plates.
    Why don't you send a photo of your backing plate to Boos-Harrel so they can identify what you are working on. They are really good Lincoln people over there.

9. strolldaddy

strolldaddy
    from Georgia

yea I’m gonna do that on Monday. Thanks for the feedback.

10. strolldaddy

strolldaddy
    from Georgia

Ok Boos-Herell not able to identify my stuff so still looking for help.

11. Slopok

Slopok

I thought those year Lincolns were all unibody???:confused:

seb fontana likes this.
  12. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

The shape of the cutout for the wheel cylinder looks to be very similar to the the mid to later fifty's style.

13. strolldaddy

strolldaddy
    from Georgia

looked around again and 57 Lincoln parts look like a match. Thanks for the feedback

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

They are, sort of. The 42-48 Lincoln had a full frame, but it was welded to the body, not bolted. Thinking was it made a more solid car. I have seen a few with different frames swapped under them after the original was cut off, with varying degrees of success. There was a guy on the HAMB that had one sitting on I think a 56 Ford car frame, best I remember the wheelbase was about 2" shorter, he ran skirts all the time so it wasn't noticable.

15. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

You're very welcome.
    When playing with these old toys, sometimes we can use all the help we can get.
    Good luck!

16. BJR

BJR

Is it the picture angle or is the spindle bent down.