Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest We Lost a Great Guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ct1932ford, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Mark, Danny and others, sorry for your loss. It is always tough when it is a real friend. Condolences to the family.

2. Bob touched on Jim's contribution the restoration of the Edsel Ford's 1932 Ford Model 18 Speedster.

The following is from a article written by Ken Gross. HRP

Lost and found

Edsel wanted a car that was even lower and racier. In 1934, Edsel and Gregorie began work on a second custom Speedster. All told, Edsel and Gregorie created three custom Speedsters.

Once the 1934 Speedster was under way, Edsel sold the 1932 custom Speedster to Indianapolis mechanic Elmer Benzin, who later sold it to a young GM designer, who wrecked it.

For decades, it was widely believed that Edsel’s ’32 Speedster was scrapped, but it somehow found its way to a body man in Connecticut, who owned it for half a century and did not know its history. He replaced the damaged alloy fenders with four steel fenders, which he had adapted from a 1935/36 Chevrolet.

After the body man died, the modified Speedster, with its original body, was sold to Jim Gombos — who knew what he had found. He painstakingly restored the car over five years. Gombos used old photographs and computer measurements to replicate the missing parts.

The original boattail bodywork was refinished. Mike and Jim Barillaro from Knoxville, TN, hand-crafted new aluminum fenders.

The car was repainted in 1932 Ford Tunis Gray — matched to a sample that Gombos found on the underside of the cowl vent. The interior was redone in dark gray-brown leather. Under the hood, there’s a period 1936 Ford flathead V8, with a Stromberg 81 two-barrel carburetor. The car was fitted with twin straight pipes.

Edsel Ford and Bob Gregorie collaborated on two other “Continental” Speedsters in 1934, and again in 1935. The 1934 Speedster, a lower and more radical design, was found by Amelia Island Concours Chairman Bill Warner and later sold to John O’Quinn. This car was restored at RM Auto Restoration and is owned by the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House in Grosse Pointe Shores, MI.

The 1935 car — the third Speedster — has never been found.

Several years ago, Jim Gombos approached me after I gave a talk at the Saratoga Automobile Museum, and he told me he owned Edsel’s first Speedster.

I was skeptical until he brought the unrestored hulk to my house in Virginia when he was moving from Connecticut to Tennessee.

When Jim opened the door to his trailer, and I saw the long-lost speedster, I was gobsmacked. Jim called his car “The Treasure,” and he was meticulous in its restoration.

In 2013, at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, the restored 1932 Edsel Speedster fittingly won the coveted E.T. “Bob” Gregorie Award for Enduring Design Excellence. Moray Callum, vice president of Design for Ford Motor Company, chose the car, and Edsel Ford II presented the award.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

What a great tribute to your friend. My condolences to his family and friends. Sounds like he will definately be missed.

Stogy, loudbang and ct1932ford like this.
  4. Thanks HRP and Mike & Jim Barillaro . A fitting tribute indeed. Hear are more photos.
    jimstur 001.jpg
    Jim's A woody next to my A sedan at NSRA meet in Sturbridge. His brother-in-law Vinny standing behind Jim. Another friend that passed on way too young.
    Jim323 002.jpg
    Jim's 3 window 1973

Jim322 001.jpg
    Jim's wife Bonnie riding next to my five window in 1972. Going to an NSRA meet.

SC & TN 015.JPG
    Jim's Roadster Pickup!

SC & TN 018.JPG
    Jim's Woody at his home in Tennessee being redone again. Jim built this from an A cowl. The rest all home built.

SC & TN 074.JPG
    Me my wife Barbara Jim's wife Bonnie and Jim, on a visit to View attachment 4872760 View attachment 4872760 View attachment 4872760 View attachment 4872760 Tennessee. 2015

SC & TN 022.JPG
    The Edsel in Jim's Garage. What a car! 2015

SC & TN 079.JPG
    Jim's good friend Roger. Another Connecticut transplant to Tennessee.

SC & TN 039.JPG
    Our wife's being silly! 2015

5. Another visit 2017
    IMG_0247.JPG
    Soon to be HRP's

IMG_0293.JPG
    Photo shoot at Nats South.
    IMG_0303.JPG
    HRP and his better half in front of soon to be Jim's sedan.

IMG_0286.JPG
    Rogers chopped Chevy.

IMG_0377.JPG
    Kentucky Derby party photo. You don't want to see the guys!

IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0242.JPG Jim's Garage! Always something going on. RIP my friend.

6. loudbang

loudbang

:( Sorry for the loss of your friend. RIP.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Gombos family and friends on the passing of Jim...he had some pretty cool achievements in his fulfilling life...doesn't make the loss any easier of course but helps to remember the goodtimes...

@ct1932ford thanks for sharing this loss to the community...may he Rest in Peace...

Additional thanks to the others sharing some of Jim's legacy...

Regards,
    Stogy

8. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Sorry for your loss. Small world we live in.....I think it was around 15 years ago that I drove 3 hours to CT to buy some parts from Jim for a 35 Ford I had. A seat, steering column, set of white walls etc. Super nice guy. Never forgot his name for some reason. Said he was moving to Ky or Tn. Guess it was Tn.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  9. God bless Jim and his family.

garage2small, ct1932ford and loudbang like this.
  10. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. garage2small

garage2small

20200531_141429.jpg 20200531_153237.jpg I first met Jim at a local cruise in, when I saw his awesome custom 54 Chevy I knew right off that he was the real deal. He spent a good 1/2 hour patiently sharing the details of how that great car was built. A few weeks later I saw him again driving his extremely traditional RPU and we had another great conversation. Jim was a true gentleman and always willing to share his knowledge. That was about 10 years ago, and our friendship really developed when we spent many hours hanging around Barillaro Speed. I have posted a couple of photos of a gathering at Jim and Bonnie's beautiful home, having the privilege of going into Jim's garage and checking out his latest project was always an education and a treat. My condolences and sincerest sympathies to Bonnie and family. We all share your loss.

12. James John Gombos Jr..jpg
    James John Gombos Jr.
    February 11, 1945 - November 9, 2020