Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1946 Chevrolet Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John F., Oct 14, 2020.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a 37 p/u that has a 57 235 hooked to a T-5 and 3.55 gears,it will take me down the highway at 75 and I like it the way it is and will never put a V8 in it.

John F. and Cosmo49 like this.
  2. John F.

John F.
    from WI

This is ideally the direction that I’d like to go. What modifications did you have to make for the t5? What bell housing did you use?

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You could use a 48 to 53 bellhousing but there would be no place to mount the pedals,I used a modified 48 to 53 bellhousing that was sold by Jim Carters truck parts that has that part welded on but the easiest would be the adapter that Buffalo Enterprises makes if they are still in business.

4. OCJoe

OCJoe
    from California

Morning all. I've also got a '46. It's the 3/4 ton stakebed in the photo. I'm in the process of working on. I had it at a "shop" where they were supposed to look for a 235 to put in it because the 216 was rusted through. For some reason they put a 292 in there. It's a long story but I finally got it back and now have to figure out what I'm going to do. I've located a 216 locally that the owner has taken apart and had the block and head machined. He also has all new innards, rods, pistons etc. I'd have to put it all together, all the new parts are literally in boxes. Having not taken it apart I'm trying to figure out how difficult that is going to be. I also don't know if it's been machined to convert to full pressure oiling. Hopefully I'll find out when I talk to him later today. I may have found a 235 locally too, but I haven't heard back. A couple folks on here have 261s in the classified section but I've only heard back from 1 who lives half way across the country. Not sure if shipping it would be way too costly. There's someone who is also in CA but I haven't heard back in a while. I've already located a T5 which should fit on any of those engines. I'm probably not going to ever take it on the freeway, just local runs to Home Depot and Costco, lol, so I'm thinking the 216 with all the new parts would be a good way to go. Anyone have any suggestions for a manual or book that would help with putting it all back together?

Joe

Okie Pete likes this.
  5. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

The 292 was one of the best inline 6 engines that GM ever produced. If this one runs, leave it alone. The bellhousing flange is the same as V8's, so transmission choices ae plentiful.

Devin

6. 6inarow

6inarow

7. OCJoe

OCJoe
    from California

Hi Devin,

I'm trying to keep it as original as possible but still be able to drive it around town. The 292 just doesn't look right in the engine compartment.

Joe

Okie Pete likes this.
  8. fortynut

fortynut

Here are some equations I have come up with from my experience in dealing with engine/trans into old vehicles. Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac engines and drive train parts = $$$$$. Anything with babbit bearings = knocking/trouble/$$$$$. 235 Chevrolet 6 = durability & mileage (using common sense and TLC). Using a small block Chevrolet with later drive train stuff = Hard to Beat because there is a load of aftermarket parts/ adapters/ and information to make your life easier. T5 WC transmissions = ease of adaptability + overdrive, that is not to be sneezed at with gas prices/ and everyone's need to ride. There are a lot of boat anchors just waiting for those who want to throw good money after bad investments. Stick with what works and has and will work. Don't take my word for it. Look at most of the rods that get driven to meets versus those that are 'trailer queens'. Make a list and check it twice. This is my opinion and others may vary according to experience and taste.

9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Here is something to think about. You can buy a 472/500 Cadillac engine for usually about $500 and it will make for a nice driving truck with some power when you want it. Many/most of these engines only seem to have about 60k miles on them. You can find some that are clean and running but most have set for awhile. Worth a few hundred more if the engine is shown to run fine. If you get one thats been sitting, you might just fire it up anyway. If you decide to do a basic rering and bearing job.....its still pretty cheap. They usually come with a usable (as is) turbo 400 for that $500 price.
    I have bought 2 of them for $500 and I found a 472 sans tranny for $250. They are actually a lightweight engine only weighing about 50lbs more than a smallblock. Rugged and dependable. I'd get one and do a valve job and upgrade the valve springs. Then upgrade the rocker arms. You will have a smooth driving truck and lots of torque ........The 455 will cost you more than a known good Cad and the Cad can be made to produce an easy 450/500 Hp if you ever decide you want more performance. (Some guys are getting 800 hp out of these engines)

10. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

OCJoe, have you got any pictures of the engine compartment? I'm wanting to put a 250 six in my '46 Chevy PU, but I'm concerned about length problems. Did they have to relieve the firewall?
    Jerry

11. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Stop puusy futin around a 292 is the only way to go.............you will have to finagle the firewall though
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

paintman27, that gives me a small chubby, but I gotta ask did you modify the firewall for the length or the height of the 292? I don't see a fan; I was planning on using an electric pusher fan out front. I already got a bargain basement 250, and this is a low bucks project. Can I see more photos of your truck? Pleez?
    Jerry

13. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Two cents worth... 30 plus years ago I bought a '46 for $100. Sitting behind a barn since 1968. Summer beater for a college kid.. mine was a GMC, 228 and a crash box 4-speed. Only used the clutch for taking off, easy to rpm-match shifts without it.
    If you "upgrade" the motor, everything has to be changed - trans, bell housing, rear axle. You lose the cool foot starter and e-brake handle without some fabricating.. brake mastercylinder and linkage is all connected to the clutch and bell housing.
    All depends on what you want... Personally? An old 4 port six with full split dual exhaust and some glasspacks cannot be beat for good cruising fun. Sounds like a million bucks downshifting to third!

14. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

I hear you, and I know I've opened myself up for a lot of head scratching, but the 216s in both of my trucks are rusted solid. I found a 250 locally for $100 with carb, Delcotron alt, starter & HEI, and traded some labor for a T5, and found a OT rear axle that was affordable, so that's where I'm headed. I'm fairly confident that with the help of the HAMB and copious amounts of alcohol and time and money I can pull this off...
    Jerry
    Sorry, OP, didn't mean to hijack this thread...

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  15. @jerry rigged I have a 292 in my 39 gmc which I believe is a smaller nose than your 46 and it fit without any fire wall mods. I did move the radiator forward inside the shell.

16. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Yes the if you notice the center part (square section) of the firewall is all new. Still running a radiator with a pusher fan. here is the build thread.............all 20pages of it, enjoy!
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=558819
    [​IMG]

17. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

paintman27, thanks a bunch! I bookmarked that thread and will be referring back to it a lot, I'm sure!
    Jerry

18. My 37 GMC had a 216 in it when I bought it at 14 (not original to the GMC). Got it running and drove it around the property. The truck was a 1.5 ton, so the gearing was in the 6.00 or deeper range. It was ok at home, but I knew I wouldn't want that for driving 20 miles to school.
    Found a 396 and th400 and a 12 bolt rear from a 64 chevy truck. Front axle from 52 1/2 ton. The engine came with a set of generic full length headers and I was able to use them without any mods. Only thing I modified to get it to fit was I moved the steering box farther into the frame rail. I was able to leave the radiator in stock location, used an electric puller fan off a 80's chevy celebrity.
    I did have to fabricate a brake pedal mount.
    It was all pretty straight forward and I was able to get it done as a kid in HS.

I think the 216 engine if in good running order will be fine, what will make driving it less fun over time is the trans and rear gears. I suggest swapping to a t5 or auto with OD and a little newer rear end. Leave the front axle, just put disc brakes on it. You can put a 73-87 chevy truck steering box on it and fit power steering if you want.

Swapping to a trans that shifts nicely and has OD will change the driving experience more than a newer engine with a terrible trans.

19. Budget36

Budget36

lps, maybe not, back when my dad pulled the 216/235 from his '1.5 ton, and put in a 292. I know the firewall was not massaged, but don't know what he did up front.

I only say this because I think the sheetmetal is the same-sans-fender openings-so might work well

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Since I hang around some restorers I like to hide my modifications,the parking brake is hooked to the T-5 and under the 216 tin is a 57 235. It does have a foot stomp starter too. 100_7257.JPG 100_7256.JPG

6inarow and gearhead9663 like this.