Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 pickup build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BullittB, Nov 12, 2020.

1. I suppose its long past due to post up some stuff on my model a pickup build. I has been an extremely long and drawn out process. My everchanging life, low budget, and issues with maintaining attention on really anything for long periods of time have really wreaked havoc on this process but I will get it done.
    How it came home the summer of 2013... sittin in the driveway.jpg

Toms Dogs, burl, Outback and 11 others like this.
  2. IMG_0513.jpg
    I slowly continued to collect parts for a while before I even began to work on it. At that point I had absolutely no idea how to weld, I had never done anything this involved before. All I knew was I wanted a hotrod.

3. 11157548_852830418123887_1118175516485068378_o.jpg
    I believe this picture was taken in the summer of 2015. This is right when things started to really take shape on the project. I still had a whole pile of parts I needed to acquire, but this is the first time I felt it actually looked like something. I had saved forever to buy that brookville bed.

4. This pile of parts took a while for me to gain the confidence to put together. I still had no idea what I was doing. 1462140_566771850063080_1783973804_n.jpg

Toms Dogs, burl, Tman and 9 others like this.

5. eventually the pile of chassis parts became this. This is an image from this summer. There was obviously tons of work to get it here. There were things that I did, then re-did later because my skills changed or my taste changed. IMG_2298.jpg

winr, Toms Dogs, burl and 18 others like this.
  6. my a as of summer 2020.jpg Here is what it looks like all put together... It has a very long way to go. I think about it all the time, but work on it about half as much as I should. I am happy though in a way that it has taken me so long to get to this point. I have gone back and fixed or refined so many things to this point. It's getting there though! It is now chopped 5" and has a 34 Pontiac dash in it. I hand made the floor, firewall, map pockets and many other items. The shocks are all hidden friction shocks. I hope to eventually convert the banjo to a quickchange. I'm not sure when it will be done, but I've enjoyed the experience thus far

7. trollst

trollst

BullittB, thats pretty much how most of us put a car together, two steps ahead, one back. THEN, one day you get it on the road, and it all seemed easy, and like it didn't take as long as it did. Keep plugging away, you'll get it, looks good.

dirt t, Deuces, chessterd5 and 3 others like this.
  8. Diggit

Deuces and BullittB like this.
  9. That is a really neat little hot rod. Keep going. It's going to be a ton of fun.

10. JB401

JB401

You are off to a nice start! I will be following along for sure as I just started a 29 pickup build myself. Did you need to purchase a wood kit or did your cab come with a decent one? That is a step I need to make a move on soon in order to assemble my cab and have been checking out my options. Keep it up!

Outback, Deuces and BullittB like this.
  11. brady1929

brady1929

Cool hot rod.

12. I dig it. Keep the posts coming

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Shaping up to be a bitchin hot rod! Nice job.

14. 66gmc

66gmc

You're doing a great job, the stance and proportions are perfect. Nice roadster on the wall too!

15. HotRod33

HotRod33

How did you do the front end?

16. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

Looks great. Im doing pretty much the same thing with a Tudor, but it's a real mess right now.

BullittB likes this.
  17. trey32

trey32

Uhhhhhhh what's up with that three window in pic three??!!!!

BullittB likes this.
  18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It looks great. I've always wanted a 28/29 pick-up. Maybe someday.

BullittB likes this.
  19. This is a sweet build man. No one builds a closed cab pickup. They are my favorite builds. :cool:

20. I’ll try to get some pictures up tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and HotRod33 like this.
  21. That’s my dads. It’s getting a Hemi, quickchange, tko600, and a whole slew of other cool parts. It’ll be a good one.

Outback, Deuces and Okie Pete like this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

23. Deuces likes this.
  24. I guess I should preface this post by saying, I have no clue if any of my ideas here will work. bouncing things up and down in the garage is one thing but going down the road is another... So my front suspension design is heavily inspired by the rolling bones bitchin cars. the spring is mounted to the wishbones behind the axle. Since their cars look bitchin without having exposed shocks, I had to think of a way to hide my friction shocks. With the front end sitting pretty low I also had to raise the engine up a bit to keep the oil pan off of the ground. To do this I went with the 2 birds one stone approach. I designed a motor plate that mounted to the front of the block creating an area to mount my friction shocks. I stripped the necessary hardware off of a pair of offenhauser friction shocks from speedway and burned a set of lever shock arms on my plasma table along with some mounts to weld on the wishbones for some dog bone links.
    friction shock arm.jpg front spring mounts.jpg front suspension front view.jpg

sko_ford, Toms Dogs, Tman and 9 others like this.
  25. HotRod33

HotRod33

I like how it looks...

sko_ford, Deuces and BullittB like this.
  26. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I like the way you made the spring perches, much better than putting a regular perch horizontal.

27. Thanks. They stick up over and hang below because I plan to add a reinforcement to the outside of the wishbone to try and help the torsional load. When I saw Ben Haag’s beautiful 32 3 window upside down because one of the spring perched had failed I cut those very same spring perches off of my truck and changed them to this design.