Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Interior color change question..........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reman, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

I have an old 57 F100 that I am going to sell at some point in the future. The truck is pretty much a rag, but it is a local driver. I am doing a few things to help a bit cosmetically, and that involves the seat. It is torn completely apart and was not correct from the beginning. I have another decent seat from a different truck that I can adapt to it and will look somewhat "period correct". This seat is bright red and will look totally out of place in this truck, even as rough as it is. Have any of you guys done any interior (fabric) staining or dying in recent times? Many years years back I always used a Marhyde product for this purpose but it does not appear to be available anymore. I wondered what you guys are using nowadays if you color change any type fabric (cloth). I find several things available but don't know what would best meet my need. I would also prefer to buy like a quart so I could use the spray gun as opposed to aerosol cans. Any experience here? Opinions? Thanks

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally if the seat was in decent shape and sat good I wouldn't get too exited abut changing the color unless you just flat think the color is so ugly you don't want to look at it. As you said the truck is beater and so be it. Maybe it is because my 77 dualie flatbed is blue and white and has an all red interior. It is just a beater that is a few years newer that has lead lives of being a tire store truck, roofing contractor dump runner and landscape gardener's hauler before I got it.

alanp561 likes this.
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You say you're going to sell it? If so, why go to the bother to change the seat? In all likelihood the new owner will want to make changes so, let him be the one to decide the seat color.

4. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts. And I may end up just using it as is.

5. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Any else, who has used any dye to change seat color?

6. I've done it, and it's not something I'm likely to do again. It's not particularly cheap or easy to do it right, and anything less will wear off quicker than you think.... The rattle-can dyes are a waste of time IMO.