Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Chevy, broken axle. What to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Oct 18, 2020.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

What a f@#$ing day!

So I decided to get new axles. Ordered them from Dutchman. Good service and they look great.
    I compared the new axles to the others to make sure they were correct and everything appeared good. Put some oil on the bearings and the rear end housing and began to install. The right side went in with no problem at all. The left side goes in until it is about 1/4" out and stops. I tried gently persuading it. No luck. Pulled the axle back out and shined a bright light inside, but couldn't see anything obviously wrong. I'm afraid if I try to persuade it with much force I'll screw up the bearing or break something. Tried the axle in the non posi carrier I have sitting in my garage and it went all the way in without trouble.
    I don't know what my trouble could be. I'm pretty damned defeated at the moment.

Any suggestions?

2. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

The side gears of the posi may not be lined up. I had the same issue on a 57 rear axle.

3. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

At the risk of sounding stupid, then how do I proceed?

4. Gofannon

Gofannon

Posi axles are shorter than open drive ones. Here's some lengths from another forum, don't know if they're accurate.

55/56 Left --- 28 13/16"
    55/56 Right -- 30 5/16"

57 Left -------28 11/16"
    57 Right ---- 30 3/16"

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The splines of the "clutch ring" that holds the Positraction plates, has to be in-line with the splines of the side gears; they can be "out-of-synch", spline-wise, if-you-will. If they are, you can't get the axle all the way in. Try holding the opposite axle, and turning while pushing in the one you're trying to install; a two person job. May also need a cheater bar if the clutches are "tight". I don't know if you can see far enough down the housing to see if the splines are lined up (?). And, you do know there are two ways to "stack" the clutches in these Positractions; a normal and high performance stack? Aftermarket axles are usually already made shorter to fit with Positraction. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Cosmo49 and midnightrider78 like this.
  6. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

like Butch said above. The one I helped with finally went back together with one person alternating holding and turning the passenger side axle while another person did the same to the driver side.

scotty t likes this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

They make up a good cost effective 9 inch too

8. Budget36

Budget36

Shouldn’t take two people to get the break over. All the GM rears I did with clutches top end was 70 ft/lbs of tq. I think service spec was around 35?

9. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Thanks. I'll give this a try

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a kid, it only took me replacing 7 rear axles and 17 trannys in my pretty much stock shoebox Ford to modify my driving habits. Some of us are slower learners than others.

seb fontana and Cosmo49 like this.
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HELL, I KNOW PEOPLE THAT CAN SCREW AN ANVIL UP WITH A RUBBER HAMMER

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Reminds me of the kid up the street from me; he was the hey look at me type.

alanp561 likes this.
  13. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Probably should have asked this before I was ready to get out in the garage again. I have not yet put any gear oil back in the rear since I reinstalled the center section.
    Am I going to need to add oil before things will move enough in the posi to get the axle in?

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No, it should slip without any gear oil in it.

midnightrider78 likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I suggest using a posi lube additive, the GM version was the go-to stuff for years.
    May find it at your local GM dealer.
    These two vendors seem to be the most reasonably priced.

https://paceperformance.com/i-51337...traction-axle-lubricant-additive-4-fl-oz.html

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/g7103.html

16. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I used Lucas oil https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-LU...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863981095184&psc=1 previously. Says it's already got posi lube in it. Seemed to work pretty well.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This additive was in addition to the posi lube, it is called a friction modifier, people used it with various posi lubes for years, still do.
    A friend of mine was getting some noise from his new Auburn "cone style" posi and I suggested this stuff and he said it quieted it down though it was originally formulated for GM disc style positractions.
    I'm sure the Lucas will work fine.

18. FWIW I ran the stock rear end in my '56 Chevy 150 with the modified 292 inline 6 cylinder and a 4 speed. I raced it on and off for several years as well as driving it on the street. With 4.56 or 4.88 gears it would run mid-13's at 100 mph on 27" slicks. When I twisted off an original axle I replaced them with Moser axles. After twisting off my second set of Moser axles I installed a 9". I don't believe the original rear end is up to the abuse. I'd either go 9" or a 12 bolt.

19. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Just thought I'd give an update.
    I had my wife come out in the garage and work one axle while I worked the other. Less than 5 minutes and the axle was in place.
    Thanks!

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

TaDa!!!!! Ya did it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

klleetrucking likes this.
  21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bud, you really need to get away from this "love affair" with all things Chevy. Several friends of mine here in Texas have "bitten the bullet" and installed 9" Fords with nodular pumpkins or Chrysler rears in their Chevy rods with much success while never telling the general public of their decisions. I enjoyed "bustin' their bubbles" at drinking parties or after victories at the local drag strip. Vanity can come back and bite you right in the old arse. Good luck when you decide to "kick the traces and jump the fence", and quit breaking stuff ! P.S. I'll never tell ! LOL.