Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Street rod magazine interest ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ace high, Nov 12, 2020.

1. ace high

ace high

It's time to make room. I wondering what interest there is in street rod magazines. I have pretty much all of my past subscriptions to "Rod Action 1972- 5/1996", "Street Rodder 5/1972 - 2/2020" and "American Rodder 12/1988 - 2006" They are all in order packed neatly in boxes.

kidcampbell71, Tim and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Good luck finding a home for them.
    If you do a search here you’ll find that subject has been discussed here before.
    Some guys including me have found that almost no one wants them anymore.

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gave all mine away a few years ago

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

donate to veterans hospital or nursing homes. school shop classes.

5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Im interested - where in MA are you? I regret tossing much of my library long ago.....

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. I always liked Rod Action and still have my collection, gave all my street rod magazines away at a swap meet. HRP

7. ace high

ace high

Woburn/Stoneham area

8. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

If you can find a kid that’s interested in the hobby give them to him or her. Our UPS driver found out I was interested in old cars and gave me his collection. Six full boxes of magazines! My mother wasn’t impressed as I would spread them all over the floor going through each one. I’m 38 now he gave them to me when I was about 12 or 13. Being able to look through all those magazines as a kid was very influential to me.

9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The early Street Rodder and Rod Action are great magazines. There are many cars featured that were traditional hot rods that had some updates with the time such as just wheels and tires. Also a lot of home built tech before all of the aftermarket stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

The American Rodder may have some value.
    Like you, I had a pretty extensive collection. I figured some day, someone would pay for such a complete set. Earlier this year I started to research it and found guys that had more years than I did and couldn't give them away. So I kept the ones I wanted and tossed the rest. Made me kind of sad, but I survived. I think a big stumbling block is shipping.

6inarow and brigrat like this.
  11. If you look in the classifieds, you will see a lot of them for sale, including some of mine. But unless they are very old like "little books" and really old Hot Rod, no one seems to have interest in them. I gave away a trunk full to a local teacher who uses them so her class can make collages out of the photos.

12. Thay's what I've done with mine for years.

D type and j3harleys like this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ve been tempted to scan them all page by page front to back and put it all up on a website. :D
    But that’s way too much like work with no reward.
    I’ll put my time to better use in the garage and just enjoy retirement. :D:cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You're 38? I hope that's not you in your avatar! LOL

15. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I actually got my collection of 1972-1977 issues of Rod Action from the City’s recycle dumpster about 15 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Passed all mine on to friends that didn't have subscriptions...

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I would rather put a Blown BBC in Morris Minor than throw an old magazine away, I have tried both, still have the mags!

18. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The local car club has a scholarship program for graduates of the local high school in the auto shop program. Funds tuition at the local community colleges in auto related majors. They were glad to take my magazines and either fill out their library, or spread them around to the auto shops. Best I could come up with.

egads likes this.
  19. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have all mine sorted on the shelves and scan pictures to post here whenever I find a relevant query. Had those magazines for so long that it would be hard to part with them.

20. ace high

ace high

I surely can understand. There is a wealth of knowledge in this "library".

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used to collect a number of magazines but now I focus it on R&C. I slowly add mags as I find them for reasonable prices. mainly the larger format but on occasion I pick up the little versions. Always looking for pre 80 stuff. as I keep filling in the missing ones

fastcar1953 likes this.
  22. topher5150

topher5150

I put mine up for free on a local site. Gave a handful away to an old lady who wanted some for her son she was really keen on getting him the older Truckin and American Rodder magazines. Felt kind of weird giving those magazines after that.
    I still have tons of Street Rodder, and Street Scene magazines from the late 80s to the early 00s

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Reading magazines is much more entertaining than surf in the net, or texting. I post pictures on the HAMB when I can. Keep searching and adding to your collection. Keep it organized is key. Pretty soon you will have over 7000. Didn`t think I would could get all the little pages type. Then I bought out a collection, now I have 400 + doubles. Let alone all the others. 2019-10-19_210531.jpg Never could under stand the Minimalist`s point of view.

vtx1800, williebill, RICH B and 2 others like this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as selling them goes, you might try selling some of the older ones by the year on Ebay. Depends on how much you want to fool with it, Guys ask a pretty stiff price for single issues but having sold stacks of magazines at swap meets people tend to hunt for certain issues with something that really interests them.

Most of my collection of about 4000 magazines got ruined when the roof leaked where they were stored. I've come to the realization that I'll never get my man cave library that I had planned to do built so it probably saves my kids from hauling them to the dump.

Budget36 and ace high like this.
  25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I stopped collecting as of Dec, 2000. I was getting at least 6 subs at the time. I needed the storage shelve room. I found a buyer for up to '72. I asked why the cut off date? Storage, newer than '72 don't sell well. I do have a few specials, Volume 1, issue 1 of "Open Wheel" ..

26. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Have a complete set of Street Rodder from issue #1 till the end and tried to sell them but got little response. Lot of good reading too. Sad. 100_5020.JPG

27. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

My collection of rod magazines from the mid 70s was sorted, wrapped, labeled and marked for missing issues. Twenty seven packages. All are now in the local land fill. Even the VA home didn't want them. Just don't understand?

28. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

...or still living at home!

29. verde742

verde742

I THOUGHT I HIT A HOME RUN WHEN I OFFERED MY OPINION TO THE OWNER OF THE SO-CAL STORE THAT THERE WAS PROBABLY NOTHING IN HIS STORE HE COULD SELL AND DOUBLE HIS MONEY :)

I OFFERED TO SUPPLY HIM MAGAZINES BACK TO 1949, FOR A DOLLAR A PIECE, HE BOT $20.00 BUCKS WORTH, BEGIN SELLING THEM. AND ANOTHER GUY BROUGHT HIM A PALLET LOAD FOR FREE.......:(
    SO MUCH FOR MY LIQUIDATION PLANS :(

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. verde742

verde742

I STILL GOT HUNDREDS, :(

JUST CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO "PITCH THEM ":(

( CAPITAL LETTERS SO I DON'T HAVE TO GO FIND MY GLASSES )

NOT YELLING, HONEST !!!

williebill, seb fontana and ace high like this.