Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 63 Fairlane family wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by stretch58, Nov 11, 2020.

1. stretch58

stretch58

This is our new to us 63 fairlane ranch wagon. Has a happy Lil 260 and two speed. Drive it everyday to take my little to daycare and she loves it. Looking to make it a bit better out of town. Pondering a repower or try and find the 5bolt bell housing. Here are some pics to enjoy. IMG_3751.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. The 260 is a good reliable engine. HRP

Fisher400, Spooky, stretch58 and 2 others like this.
  3. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I have looking for a wagon for a long time,but cannot find one, i want a good driver and can be about any brand. Your wagon is very nice. Don

loudbang likes this.
  4. They sure seem to have dried up arond here lately, haven't they?

loudbang likes this.

5. Nice!!! How about some more photos?

loudbang and Unique Rustorations like this.
  6. Torchie

Torchie

I'm with HRP. Perhaps a tranny change or different rear end gears? Just another option.
    Torchie

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. RMONTY

RMONTY

Clean little long roof! Have fun with it whatever you do!

stretch58 and loudbang like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great photo too! My parents took us camping in the ford wagon all over Oregon. Looked just about like that. Enjoy!

stretch58, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

^^^^^ Except it was green and a Plymouth and ..... a push button auto and.....a slant six and..... :p:D

Spooky, Elcohaulic, 67drake and 4 others like this.
  10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Seldom seen these days. Neat car, enjoy!

Spooky, Elcohaulic, stretch58 and 2 others like this.
  11. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Love your wagon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stretch58 and loudbang like this.
  12. Nice.....we toured Texas camping in my mom's 1964 Falcon Wagon...... camping 1967.jpg mom beach camping.jpg

flyin-t, Spooky, Elcohaulic and 6 others like this.
  13. goboy33

goboy33
    from Florida

signal-2020-11-30-231636.jpg signal-2020-11-14-005404.jpg My grandmother had a 56 Mercury wagon. So when this one came along as a half restored project with all the wood and chrome in the back I jumped on it. We keep it stored at our cabin in Michigan. It gets a lot of use in the summer .
    The wagon was bought by the Army Reserves in 1956, raffle tickets were sold for one year. A young woman by the name of Martha won the car and kept it till she was 90 years old. The car has 46000 original miles. =full]4875532[/ATTACH]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    MeathooK, Texas57, Spooky and 15 others like this.
  14. stretch58

stretch58

IMG_4163.JPG IMG_2357.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

It’s really her car lol. Thank you for the positive feedback. Just trying to justify buying the five bolt c4 bell housing. The 260 feels and runs great. Might slowly put a 302 together with a nice street cam and a four barrel.

Spooky, AHotRod, v8flat44 and 11 others like this.
  15. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

What a peach. Maybe a 351 W with a C-6 would get you down the road alittle easer. Thanks for the story.

Luke stone and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  16. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

If your serious about a re-power.
    Junkyard. Explorer 302 plus a 4bbl and duraspark distributor and AOD would be my recommendation.

Not hard to find, not expensive.
    AOD gives you overdrive and the 302 has plenty of power and room to grow if you want to go faster.

I’m sure someone here knows if there’s any clearance issues with an AOD.

17. Very cool cruiser. Great that you are involving your kid in it too. She will have lots of great memories including the wagon.

18. The shop inspector is saying. "You didn't think this washer should go on before the nut?":confused: You are either thinking.
    Pay close attention now or get cried at.:oops: Or you fell asleep and she is getting ready to stick the screw driver up your nose.:eek: Great looking wagon and shop inspector.:cool:

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Neat car! I miss my station wagons...

20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-11-19_4-2-59.png

Hello,

Nice Fairlane station wagon. We have always been a station wagon family since a third person came into our lives. We had to sell our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery because it could not accommodate a small child safely, even with wide open spaces in the back cave. A station wagon provided all access to the rear seat for any emergencies and care for the little baby/toddler.

The station wagon has to have two things: The reliability to start up on the first time and get the family to the destination point. All other accessories/needs can be added later as the station wagon gets its family uses. My wife is/was always planning things when the pandemic was not here. But, one thing she always requested, silently, of course, is the ability to get where we need to go in A/C comfort.

Jnaki

So, over the course of having a wide array of cars, the station wagon plays an important part of our lives. Plus, it has the versatility of holding a ton of stuff in the back while being a comfortable cruising machine. We tried to offer a small Ford station wagon with a v8 motor and 4 speed to our son, when he was driving age. We liked the style of the small wagon. If we could get it set up correctly, when he got tired of it, we could always use it as our primary transportation.

upload_2020-11-19_4-4-17.png

a different sister wagon :
    Hello,
    A couple of years ago, when we were doing some coastal road trips, my wife saw a cool Comet Station Wagon Woody in the parking lot of our resort hotel. The Kimpton Goodland is a classic place. It is done in a early 1960 style with the beach as a theme. The Ford Woody in the drive way and the Airstream Trailer situated right behind the woody, is to be used for people staying at the resort, shows the character of the place.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/accessories-on-your-vehicle.1153666/#post-13125887

We saw the Comet Station Wagon cruising down the main drag (State St.) of Santa Barbara's downtown area. Outdoor dining all along the street make it a perfect place to eat fine food and watch the cool hot rods and cruisers coming down the street.

Read the HAMB story post and click on to this website.

https://www.numnob.com/about/ It is a cool site and the colors of his products are pretty nice.
    https://www.facebook.com/numnobs/
    upload_2020-11-19_4-5-36.png

Jnaki
    upload_2020-11-19_4-5-20.png

scott27, Spooky, stretch58 and 3 others like this.
  21. v8flat44

v8flat44

IF you're gonna change the drive train a late 80s 302 efi & a o d tranny may be an inexpensive possibilty. Love the car & pics......thanks 4 sharing.

22. 63savoy

63savoy
    from Illinois

Picked up this 63 Plymouth wagon a couple of weeks ago after a 4 year search, Nice to have a longroof again. 318 auto.

Attached Files:

lippy, Latigo, 67drake and 10 others like this.
  23. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

That is sweet!! Is it a driver already? Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Don't go 351 unless you like to be hassled every time you want to work on it. I have a 65 Comet wagon with a stroked 289 and headers on that were an absolute bitch to get on . Ended up remaking the driver side.
    I agree about a late model 5.0 and an AOD. If the 260 runs good just drive it and enjoy the car.
    I have a complete 5 bolt 289 engine and C-4 in a 65 Comet Caliente that I am not going to use. It also has all of the factory A/C stuff.

stretch58 and 48fordnut like this.
  25. There is a Fairlane wagon like that locally that I drive by everyday. Guy has it up on blocks, been that way for 20 years. You rarely see the guy outside, next time I can catch him I am going to stop.

stretch58 likes this.
  26. 63savoy

63savoy
    from Illinois

Yes it is, still kicking around a couple of ideas as to what to do with it.

27. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Lots of love for wagons around here,
    I used mine as a daily driver all summer up until last week when they started calling for snow.
    Fuel mileage isn’t great but the smiles per gallon are amazing!
    [​IMG]

28. john W.

john W.

The 63 Ford in the OP is killer. Hands down the best year.
    I love wagons, its the nostalgia of mooning folks from the rear facing back seat, the memories. We had a 65 Ford Wagin in butter yellow when I was a kid.
    Burger Chef burgers and melted milkshakes and screaming siblings. Drive ins.
    I was always in the way back with the dogs.

Our 62 Chrysler New Yorker. "Isabella."
    413 4-barrel.
    Disc brakes.
    Torqueflite.
    Dual exhausts.
    Once owned by a NASA engineer in southern Cally. Still has his Motorola radio inside.
    I put in tan plaid seats. No more purple vinyl.
    She's got some pep.

image6.jpg IMG_0853.jpg IMG_2080.jpg

29. goboy33

goboy33
    from Florida

signal-2020-11-30-231131.jpg 1956 Ford family wagon I saw this picture somewhere I'm not sure the family still alive.

30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

A change from the 2 speed trans to a 3 speed is amazing. You will think you are in a different car. Very nice. Keep at it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020