Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Where did the GAZ go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Nov 11, 2020.

1. A guy from Finland recently posted a build thread on a GAZ-21 sedan that has now disappeared. I suspect it was because of the model year (1968) but what the moderator failed to take into account was this model traces it's lineage all the way back to 1956. It remained relatively unchanged to end of production, with just cosmetic restyling (primarily grill changes) done a few times. The version the guy had was the last one, which was introduced in 1962 and remained unchanged until end of production in '70. Even at that, it still looked like a '50s era car. Styling could be described as a mash-up between a '55 Willy (front) and a early-'50s Mopar (rear) with a dash of mid-'50s Mercury (side).

Anyway, it looked to be an interesting build and in this case the year cut-off should have been ignored IMO... Finland has got to be tough environment for any hot rodder...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ-21

2. 58 Mustang

58 Mustang

I imagine for he same reason, NO VWs. Furrin stuff isn't trad though there are some exceptions like Anglias and Pops

3. Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  4. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Nuffin wrong with Vedettes. :D
    I was also hoping that build would get through. Love something different.
    Makes it hard, where do you draw the line on foreign cars?
    A 32 Ford made in Europe or Australia is a foreign car.

5. That was the Volga project from new member @Huricane4 . I liked the pic of him up to his knees in water :eek: to get a big V8 out of a truck for said Volga gasser project..

Ned Ludd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Yep loved that photo as well. :eek:

7. Paging the moderators fir an explanation.

was this the car with a truck engine and a Super charger ?
    Looked like it was gonna be a cool build

8. Huricane4

Huricane4

Hi
    Glad you liked my build
    Yes the moderator probably removed it for being a 1968 and not American.

Like some of you said i think the first year of the modell is more important than the actual production date.
    And there are many other European cars on the site so I don't know really

But you can follow it here: https://www.drive2.com/r/gaz/21/1408385/
    If you like.

9. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

You got me watching :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I had my thread on Model A packaging and ergonomics removed because I compared the sandwich-floor concept to that of the 1997-2004 Mercedes-Benz W168 A-class and mentioned the height of typical '70s European hatchbacks, and because a few photos of Alfa Romeos appeared in subsequent posts. I completely understand the reason for this policy but it did strike me as a bit heavy-handed.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Moderators are like car show judges , most decisions are purely arbitrary !

12. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

After many years as moderator in a number of places, few situations are simply black or white. It's usually in the grey areas, and you always need to think about what you'll need to allow in the future if you allow something today.

harpo1313 and VANDENPLAS like this.