Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Gowjobs": Depresion Era Performance and Early day hop-up tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a pretty extensive Google Patent search on Winterfronts and came up dry...:oops:...many shapes and styles but none that resemble the one hanging in the pic which is distinctly Model T. Peerless also made Winterfronts but no hits either...

I am wondering if that might be a non Ford OEM but aftermarket knock off Item as looking at the car sitting there makes me believe it may not even be a Ford Dealership but a 1920s Napa store of sorts featuring many Ford items...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  3. SR100

SR100

That's a mid-twenties Ford dealership. Every sign on the counter advertises a Ford item, there's a Lincoln model L on display and a Ford logo is barely distinguishable in the window. Every parts/accessory dealer photo I've seen shows an awful lot more stock and multiple vendor-supplied displays. The grille in question is probably aftermarket, there's curvature in the top triangle (bowing out) that isn't there in the stock piece.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Great find!

Attached Files:

The37Kid and Stogy like this.
  5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That car is incredible. Are those 19-inch Model A wheels?

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1925 Ford parts detail.jpg

:rolleyes:...This is a pretty high res shot you shared Cheese...the bars looked fixed by machine screws top and bottom to a fixed cross bar... @SR100 have a look at the pic...those look clearly to be guards not vanes similar to Rajo's shell and the shell clearly has the Ford Script...wonderful blast from the past...

Thanks for clarifying the Lincoln and verifying the fact it is a Ford Dealership...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Outback and Six Ball like this.
  7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It's because I went direct to the source. Lots of good photos on Shorpy of early dealerships and parts stores.

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny I was thinking Shorpy...and low and behold...that really helped identify it...there is a vertical black panel the shell is hung up on which gives the illusion of vanes...this shell may be chrome to boot...

It clearly highlights a vulnerability the T and A Rads shared despite being pretty robust to damage...

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you look real close at the hood lacing holes on that T shell they look to be square/ rectangle NOT round. 99.9% sure it is a pre 1926 STEEL T shell that has been chromed. The plated shells Ford offered starting in 1926 were brass with round holes for the lacing. The round holes resisted cracks, and punched easier than steel. Now you can ID a brass T shell from 20 feet if you have good eye sight. :):)

Bob

Bigcheese327 and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The filename and it's just a name says 1925...clearly a rare item that highlighted a concern and a need for future change that took place at Ford in 1932...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    The37Kid likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

02.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hemmings.com/stories/2016/08/12/forties-fronty/amp

:rolleyes:...Another vintage HopUp captured by Hamber @Bigcheese327 sporting many changes including a Fronty engine, secondary transmission, Ruckstell axle...and even has a grille guard similar to Rajo Jack's...

Now this Gowjob is perhaps at the late end of the spectrum for this thread pushing the early 40s however it certainly has inspiration reaching back to the heyday of the heart of it all...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Stovebolt and Six Ball like this.
  12. I would say so, looks to be mounted on A brake drum - looks to me to be to large to be just the T hub. :)

Stogy and Bigcheese327 like this.
  13. SR100

SR100

Wow, that is quite an optical illusion. I thought the top section had more 'belly' than a stock one, but that might be reflection. Now that we know what it is, what are the three chains dangling from it? Replacement links for tire chains or???

Stogy likes this.
  14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I took that photo. Looking over the Wilcox car, I had the feeling it had been together for quite a while by 1940 but, of course, there was no documentation. It reminded me of this Sterling Garage car:

Sterling Garage 02.jpg Sterling Garage 01.jpg

Cleat, lurker mick, Dannerr and 3 others like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was thinking they might just wrap under the crossmember and hook onto a lip and help anchor the assembly and the 3 knobs just above the top crossbar may have rendered this guard removable...this guarded shell could have been perhaps directed towards forestry or off road operations with potential pokey objects...and even racing...

16. RodStRace

RodStRace

Stogy, neat find on Rajo Jack!
    This is just a wild guess, but judging from all the other lights on the car, it may be a series of little lights, kind of like Christmas lights strung across the shell.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I hadn't noticed the question about what's going over Rajo Jack's radiator. I'll bet it's cord to stabilize the radiator during hard road driving so it doesn't crack.

Stogy likes this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just viewed the enhanced photo that bigcheese327 posted on November 11, 2020. The ROUND lacing holes are clearly visible in that photo, so the shell is nickle plated brass. Bob

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  19. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

IMG_20230723_151833838_HDR.jpg I've recently bought this 24 T body with the plan of building a Gow Job, it'll probably end up with an A Banger & possibly a period 4spd.
    Unsure of An A or T chassis. But thought this thread was worth a bump, just read through again. So much great info. Pitty some of the earlier photos have gone ..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  20. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

this is not a Ford T ...100% homebuilt except windsheild frame... it appears to be a good approximation

21. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

It's Aussie built, the turtle deck is a shape I have seen elsewhere here, however I know it was made by a local panel beater. Perhaps the rest was too? IMG_20230812_130747176.jpg IMG_20230812_130755260.jpg

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The door looks kinda' Chevy. What ever it will be a nice build.

grumpy gaby 2 likes this.
  23. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I
    Did think that I had seen hinges like that elsewhere, I really am a newby when it comes to T's...

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Ts show up partly because there were so many of them but the old guys used what they gould get and made it work. A lot of early Fords ran Chevy 4 banger heads and Chevy transmissions.

Outback likes this.
  25. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Now that I've seen the inner wood I'm leaning toward 1924 but another marque

26. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I posted on an Aussie T model fake book page & they are suggesting built in Geelong by either Duncan Fraser or Dalgety built body - local body builder's.
    There was no question over being a T. Just not sure whether it started as a tourer or exactly the body works

Nailhead A-V8 and Six Ball like this.
  27. @Outback Definitely a locally produced T body, they had a funky turtledeck. Cowl is same as Swifty's T bucket

Outback and Six Ball like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Even better, really cool.

Outback likes this.