Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Poly begets a Hemi begets a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wstory, May 21, 2020.

1. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

I'm showing y'all this stuff because I'm pretty pleased with what I've been able to accomplish (not being particularly smart or talented) and,....as encouragement to those who may be a bit tentative about jumping into something new. In Hot Rods,....it's always something!
    IMG_2764.JPG IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2769.JPG So I got these super-go-to-Hell adjustable rocker arms. And since they mess with the original geometry, custom pushrods are required. Tedious and a bit stressful to assure my measurements are accurate. Pretty satisfying in the end 'tho,...assuming I haven't goofed.

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Measure twice..............

You are too modest, Mr. Bill.

loudbang likes this.
  3. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

May not be that bigga deal in the overall scheme, but it took me forever to get the water by-pass bung threaded. Bought a 1/2 NPT tap at the local builders supply and then spent over a week driving around SoCal tryin to get a correct drill bit I could afford,.....for one hole! Recommended hole size did not allow the tap to engage so I had to get creative. Finally drilled 1/32" over size.
    IMG_2776.JPG IMG_2788.JPG
    Fixturing to get stuff square was a real PITA! And it took a BF Crescent wrench to cut the threads even in the oversize hole. Not pretty but DONE! IMG_2777.JPG

4. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Uh, Mr Bill, you have a lathe and a grinder. You can make an oversize drill bit less oversize, just sayin.
    good job getting it done anyhow.

Tim and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

On the bright side. The weld on the cross over passes the bf wrench torque test.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Another way to get a pipe thread on a big lump is using one of these weld on bungs:

[​IMG]

In stock
    $3.55 Each
    12555K83

This one's from the good folks at McMaster-Carr.
    Summit sells some as well, but they are tall and skinny so won't look right on an old casting.

7. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Thanks Boys for the tips and tricks. Hope I can remember them if I do another.
    I am still working on getting accurate push rod measurements. Gary at QEC/73RR tipped me off to a home made valve spring compressor which will allow for more precise measuring. I am currently fabbing that tool which I will share when I am done.
    In the meantime, heads got torqued,.....discovering 85 ft lbs is just about all this old fart can muster! IMG_2807.JPG
    and the serpentine hardware finalized, detailed and installed. Liken the way it's looking!
    IMG_2809.JPG IMG_2811.JPG

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  8. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Keen to see what you do with the Eaton supercharger :)

loudbang likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Squawk!!! POLY want a HEMI? Squawk!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Today was a very satisfying day. The rocker-arm rocker tool turned out just fine. Works on both intakes and exhausts.
    IMG_2813.JPG IMG_2821.JPG IMG_2822.JPG

11. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

More Christmas presents from our friend at QEC
    IMG_2934.JPG
    Man,...I dunno how anyone with big mitts could do this install and initial adjust.
    IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2943.JPG

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  12. George

George

13. Man! Santa Clause is being good to you this year.;) You must have been real good to get all of this.:D

Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  14. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Did the adjustable push rods in the previous Hemi. And yes, they are a PITA. Howeverrrr,...... I've never adjusted them since the original install, testimony to convenience of hydraulic lifters. Probably the same drill with the adjustable rockers so it's probably a toss up. I do have valve covers with the bumps for the stock adjustable rockers and believe these are necessary for clearance.

15. George

George

[QUOTE="wstory, post: 13830821, member: 59215" I do have valve covers with the bumps for the stock adjustable rockers and believe these are necessary for clearance. [/QUOTE]Yes

16. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Finally seeing a little daylight on this project. Got the engine off the stand so's I could access the bell housing surface. One task I was really worried I'd forget was drilling the galley plug that is buried behind another plug on the bellhousing surface.

IMG_2969.JPG
    That plug, which was mentioned several pages back, defied my attempts to remove it, and due to the fact that it was a 5/16" female square and I was ignorantly trying to remove it with a 3/8" square extension. So today I molested a perfectly good 3/8 extension in order to get that SOB out so's I could drill it.
    IMG_2975.JPG
    Sooo,....after dickin around for several minutes trying to engage my custom plug wrench,.... unsuccessfully, I looked in the hole to discover the machine shop had replaced the original square drive plug that stumped me, with a hex. Well shit! Anyone need a 5/16 square drive extension? IMG_2955.JPG IMG_2966.JPG

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol! Stuff like that happens to me, too!

chryslerfan55 and fauj like this.
  18. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Gotta keep your sense of humor! Discouragement lurks! Gotta keep on, keeping on!

19. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Picked up my clutch and flywheel from the balance shop this mornin and was excited to start puttin stuff together. First hiccup was no one had any pressure plate bolts. Soooo,....dammit, I decided to trial fit the adapter and SBC bell housing.
    IMG_2977.JPG IMG_2980.JPG IMG_2982.JPG
    A bit of a miss-match I'd say. A lot of material that can be trimmed away, making the bell housing area more svelte and space efficient for installing in the Model A.

20. swifty

swifty

Looks like that adapter suits a few different models. Does the outside profile match the big Hemi?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. patsurf

patsurf

pretty smart pattern maker!

22. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Do you know if the Chevy bell line that you traced out is bigger than the hemi pattern? It would be shame to cut the adapter to find that some of the block had a bigger OD than the bell housing and wound up hanging in the breeze. I’ve definitely made that kind of mistake on different projects.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and ski like this.
  23. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Interesting build! I'll watch.

Devin

loudbang likes this.
  24. 73RR

73RR

What do you call 'big'?
    All of the EarlyHemi, Poly and pre-62 A series engines all have the same bellhousing bolt pattern.
    It is unfortunate that when the machine work was being done that the profile was not cut to match either the bell or the block. As it is, it just makes extra work for the conscientious builder, like Mr Bill.

loudbang, warhorseracing and '51 Norm like this.
  25. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

My understanding as well. All the extra flange area has some purpose I expect, but not important for me to understand at this time in my life. ;)
    And yes, it would be a shame to trim the adapter to discover voids between the two parts. Not planning to do that.
    Sooooo,....today, I'm making patterns of the two surfaces bolt patterns to guide in the molesting of my very expensive adapter plate. I'll document.

26. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

The 3:00 am committee had trouble figuring out how to get the foot print of the Hemi bell housing transferred onto the backside of the adapter. Perseverance prevailed and today I attached some poster board to the bellhousing surface and traced the outline. Cut out that outline and transferred it to the adapter and then traced the trans outline over that.
    IMG_2988.JPG IMG_2991.JPG IMG_2994.JPG IMG_2995.JPG
    The red line denotes the engine outline. The black line denotes the transmission. Everything outside of those two boundaries gets whacked off.
    IMG_3000.JPG IMG_3001.JPG
    I'm a little nervous about making these dramatic cuts so I've decided to procrastinate until tomorrow and have a glass of wine,....or two :rolleyes:

27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Or like the song goes; "My wine bottle has a hole in its' bottom..." :D .
    Liquid courage n skill?
    Marcus...

28. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

They must use the same blank and just drill it differently for different applications.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Hey, could you please measure the thickness of the adapter and post the measurement? It would help me greatly.
    Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  30. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Bit the bullet and took the bandsaw to the adapter.
    IMG_3005.JPG IMG_3018.JPG
    The areas of the adapter that are "proud" of the bellhousing match the back of the block. Still gotta figger how to finish the edge. It's bandsaw "course" now.
    Trendz,....the adapter measures .745" thick.
    IMG_3022.JPG