Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Please Post-W engine 348 409 powered powered hot rods,drag cars ,and racecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Sep 10, 2016.

1. j hansen

j hansen

2017 same 409 in the car. Skärmavbild 2020-07-14 kl. 08.09.07.png

2. Nice gathering there J H.....thanks for posting.

j hansen likes this.
  3. fordflambe

fordflambe

4. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

5. Collin Benoit

Collin Benoit

Here’s my in progress T coupe. Soon to be a stroker 348.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And picked these up today to go with the Drag Star intake!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let’s get things going again.. thanks for the bump @Max Gearhead.

John E4D85F80-9112-4894-A0F6-550C6F5215DA.jpeg 01A04714-617A-4179-8107-73896EB3B371.jpeg

Deuces, saltflats, Torkwrench and 3 others like this.
  7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here are a few of my 59 BelAir Tri-Power 348. I've run it at the strip a couple of times, but it's just a street car.

New Air Cleaner.  June 2019.jpg 59 at Cordova.jpg Dragway Dinner G.jpg

8. jnaki

jnaki

1958 Impala
    Lion’s Dragstrip entrance and staging lanes

Lion’s Dragstrip starting line total

Hello,

Here is a portion of our involvement with my brother's new 58 Impala. It all started with selling a Model A Coupe stocker and his lowered rake 51 Oldsmobile. Those two were going to be the hot rod builds to be competitive within his teenage group from high school. The 51 Oldsmobile was a great looking cruiser that could be fast, but was no match for his friend's 34 5 window Ford coupe with a big Olds motor. So, the search was on...

Bill Moxley Cheater Slicks month

upload_2023-10-8_3-26-0.png Photo by Greg Sharp
    One of the most interesting days at Lion’s Dragstrip were the race days for the 58 Impala. We were next to a sales guy, Bill Moxley, and he was a good talker. He saw our Bruce Slicks and how we put them on for the timed runs, but had to put on the stock treaded tires for class eliminations.

He convinced us that if we bought a set of rear “cheater slicks” from him, it would make the times faster and a better E.T. Also, it was legal for the stock car racing class eliminations. We found out from the tech committee inspectors that yes, cheater slicks were legal due to groves in the tread, like a different grooved tires of various widths from the factory stock size. All tire sizes were allowed in the factory stock classes, as long as they had grooves.
    upload_2023-10-8_3-27-13.png
    58 Impala + teenager at the tower side fence taken by a close friend when I was on a dinner break.

When we finally bought a set of Moxley Cheater Slicks, my brother said the top guys were using the cheater slicks and winning. So, he left no rock unturned and bought a set. The following week, we had a set of used Chevy rims and the Moxley Cheater Slicks for all day racing.
    upload_2023-10-8_3-27-58.png Moxley "Cheater Slicks" Note: different color rear rims.

Jnaki

Did the times improve over the stock tires? Slightly, but it was an improvement. Now, to get a better starting time reaction to improve even more. That was the goal.

Note 2 :

As the weeks moved on, there was a protest from other racers in the stock classes. Those that could not afford the “Cheater Slicks” were at a disadvantage as they were not factory stock purchases from a local dealer or factory. The ones without those street legal slicks were at a disadvantage with non factory accessories direct from the parts and factory catalog.

So, after much discussion, the dragstrip tech committee deemed all “cheater slicks” non factory stock and banned them from the class eliminations. Still usable as time trial “slicks,” but, not during the class eliminations.
    upload_2023-10-8_3-29-27.png The factory 280 hp 348 motor with three carbs, with and without a chrome top for the factory stock air cleaner.

The factory stock parts improvements allowed, but had nothing to do with changing performance enhancements. The factory stock black paint to chrome top to chrome valve covers and then the last addition of aluminum Moon Breathers were allowed. The 280 factory hp was the 2nd from the top available sales/order model. The top being a special edition 315 hp motor.
    upload_2023-10-8_3-30-53.png
    My brother wanted a 58 Impala with the most horsepower available from the factory. It was a 315 hp model 348 motor. The local Long Beach dealer said that yes, it is available, but on special order for that dealership and most others in So Cal. It would take too long over 6 months for actual confirmation and delivery. My brother wanted one now. So, he "settled" for a black 58 Impala with 280 hp. The dealer said they would throw in the 4:11 Positraction unit as a gift for compensation.

Well, within a year, guess who was advertising and selling 315 hp Chevy Impalas in So Cal? Joe Pisano in Los Angeles.
    upload_2023-10-8_3-31-49.png

Despite what the ad says, he may have a gaggle of 315 hp 348 motor in Chevy sedans, but they had to be factory specs to run in the Stock car classes at all dragstrips. No fuel injection or dual quads for the big 348 motors. (Corvette 283, perhaps) But the draw in the ad was 315 hp Chevrolet motors for ALL MODELS… Those options came year later for the Chevrolet models.

Note 2:

Before anyone has a fit, there was a fuel injection 283 motor available if someone could get their hands on one from somewhere. It is a rarity and many copies made, but few could be documented with factory order forms or window accessory parts sheets.

9. 270ci

270ci