Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GM's manual 3 spd with 5 Mountong holes???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MikieOne, Feb 26, 2019.

1. 54vicky

54vicky

the meds should have arrived by now when they arrive take as directed

alanp561, H380 and bobss396 like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you really want to confuse the issue, go to Mitchell Machine website. They make aluminum case Saginaw 3 speeds. They are for racing and we use one at Perris Speedway in our Super Stock. As there are all original parts in them I'm sure you can use them on the street. Ours is a 2 speed with cut gears.

3. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Some people are quick to "criticize" for those that can't or don't see things quickly, maybe I had to much of the 60's and or even to much of Vietnam never the less people are what they are so why don't you crawl into that bottle and take some of your own medicine...
    Do you not have anything else to do but "F" with people or is it you are the "Oh Mighty" know it all that you try to show here... Give a answer if you have one or S T F U

4. squirrel

squirrel

Anyways....ignoring the drama crap, did you ever find the GM site and where the info is on it? a numbers guy working on Chevys really needs to find it....

5. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Thanks yeah I did find some info there (GM Heritage Restro Package place). This 5 hole one showed up in the 1973 info page as 3 spd std. RPO- ZW4 but only there 75,76 and 77 ect showed it as a 3 spd std. RPO- M15 nothing said about "Full Syncro" any where but lower in yrs like 68 which is my yr of Truck...... On another note I picked up a couple yrs ago a 1970 Truck HD cast iron Muncie 3 spd fully syncro with its correct bellhousing commonly known as a M330/SM330 not sure which one of them M/SM. All of its Date Codes are correct for 1970 yr. On another another note I'm still wanting to go Bone-Yard hunting for a 81-87 4 spd OD called a NP440 RPO-MY6. I like the idea its has the same gear ratio as my 4L60 does which is in my Truck now.

Your right on the drama stuff people like that don't have the b a ! ! s to do it to your face they I guess get a kick out of showing there "Testosterone" behind words on an open Forum. Playing in the Sandbox isn't my style but to some they only get to "puff" there chest out behind closed doors, thee egg is on his face.LOL LOL LOL

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  6. squirrel

squirrel

The thing about "full synchro" is that through 1966, there was a 3 speed and through 1967 a 4 speed available with unsynchronized low gear. All the 1968 and later transmissions are full synchro.

There was an overdrive transmission used starting in 1981 I think, that was the Chrysler A833 type car 4 speed, with 4th being overdrive. They made them a couple different ways, as far as mounting and shafts.

7. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Yeah the NP440-MY6 is GM's OD name for it as yes it was first a early Chry. A833 trans but "revised" for GM's over drive units being third gear was re designed to now be the OD gear and they GM changed the 3-4 shift lever by making the 3-4 shift lever pointing down and leaving the 1-2 lever up and leaving the reverse lever alone pointing down , all was for Floor Shifters which is a specifically made only Hurst Shifter for this very same trans.

8. sdluck

sdluck

Ford had a similar trans if not the same

9. sdluck

sdluck

You are not making things beter

10. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

One thing I am having trouble with is the Date Code method being what I have found info from one place to another or Googling it might be one set for 3 spds and one set for 4 spds, I have found I think two ways in doing the date code deal. Here is what I have found I hope my charts are right but if not correct me if I have it wrong.
    Below for 3 spd's ( don't know if year specific)
    A-Jan E- May I- Sept
    B-Feb F- June J- Oct
    C-March G- July K- Nov
    D-April H- Aug L- Dec

Below for 4 spd's (also don't know if year specific)
    A- Jan E- May P- Sept
    B- Feb H- June R- Oct
    C- March K- July S- Nov
    D- April M- Aug T- Dec

The 5 hole Truck trans I have two date codes with a letter "L" and my first set of date codes was the 4 spd chart and that one doesn't have a letter "L" listed so I went on the Hunt for the answer and the 3 spd chart is what I came up with making sense for the letter "L" for my ID purposes.

Again correct me if I have the chart wrong.

11. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

I don't do Fords not my cup of tea. But thanks for the info might be good for others.

12. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Sorry its not making sense for you but I am getting my questions answered.

Are you referring to the drama deal, if so I was just calling it the way I see it.

Have a great day whats left of it.

13. squirrel

squirrel

If it's a Saginaw transmission, I expect it would follow the normal chevy date code, A through L for the months.

14. sdluck

sdluck

I never said it not making sense

15. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Then please explain what I am not making things better I guess I am missing your point, excuse my brain its been up for 36 hours now I'll try and use both sides of it in the future.

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Dont forget that "I" is not used, which bumps everything up one number afterward.

17. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Then what is the Chart that uses A through T is that one used for 4 spd's like I suggested above? Or is that Chart (A-T) used for something other than Saginaw's like maybe used for Muncies 3 or 4 spds?

18. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

So then it would go like this- A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, ( ) J, K, L, M something like this?

19. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know where you found the date codes with letters past the middle of the alphabet, so I can't comment on what it's for.

Also I don't remember that they skip I in the date codes....I don't recall ever seeing M, and I do recall seeing I.

MikieOne likes this.
  20. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

I can't remember where I saw that A-T date codes chart but as always it could have been for "Other Than" transmissions.

21. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

I have also in the past read somewhere that the "I" was omitted along with maybe some other letter/s as they did conflicted with what ever was being written in some way. I know that there is an explanation for that but can't remember what that was. Thinking it could have been for GM Engine block castings because the number one (1) was involved and being just too visually close and could fool you in think it was an I.

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, that is the reason I have read that "I" is not used, and forgot that a couple of months ago when we came upon an "M" in a date code.

23. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

What was the part that had the "M" on it? engine/motor, trans, heads, intake and the likes

24. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Date Codes (Camaro).jpg View attachment 4212001 View attachment 4212001
    THIS was found from "www.holisticpage.com/camaro/parts/date.htm, Although it is for a Camaro still being a GM product the Date Coding just might be for anything else like Impalas, Novas, Trucks Chevy/GMC and the likes. I have tried to mix up the www title wording different ways but come up with "No Page Found". Maybe some one of you can give it a try. So far this is the best I can dig up for Date Codes. And as for this page's info it does state the letter "I" is dropped but only for a few parts. I did good didn't I, LOL

s55mercury66 likes this.
  25. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

So then the Alternators, Distributors and the Transmissions had some "Skipped" letters. That being said I don't think GM's would pick and choose different makes of Vehicles to have different Date Code letter arrangements as some talks have been discussed before/above. Just trying to set the records straight I hope.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  26. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Go to my Post #84, look it over and tell me/us what you think. I'm not putting you on the spot just trying to get it right or as close as possible.

27. squirrel

squirrel

I wish my memory was better.

The transmission date listed on the hand written document, doesn't really tell us much, because there were a few different places that built transmissions.

28. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

That might be true for two or three places making trans for GM but earlier somewhere around the first page it was identified as a Saginaw Truck Trans. If you are talking of the one full page I just wrote that just showed how the breakdown of Date Codes for different parts is, or did I miss something?

* * * * Edited, The hand written page shows Date Codes from a Camaro, not sure if it carries over to all the other GM vehicles.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  29. My "Stamping Numbers & Letters M4520A" are located in the same spot

30. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

Saw on of these on marketplace, then Google found this topic...which was interesting reading. Anyhow, pics of the 5-hole trans in question:

5holesag1.jpg

5holesag2.jpg

5holesag3.jpg