Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock fuel pump

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1959Buick, Nov 8, 2020.

1. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

I have a question. I think I know the answer but like to double check.
    On one of my cars I installed many years ago a Edelbrock 1792 Fuel pump with a Edelbrock 1795 relay kit. Cars get stolen in Canada all the time, so I would like to install a toggle switch in the pink 20 gauge what goes to the key switch. Is a 20Amp toggle switch big enough?
    Also I do not have a fuse between the battery and the relay. My idea was to get one of the fuses Mercedes used there 80's and 90''s car installed under the hood. I belief they had 30 amp fuses. Any comments on this idea
    Sorry, the new PC did not copied and paste the wire diagram from Edelbrock

https://edelbrock-instructions-v1.s3.amazonaws.com/edelbrock/1795.pdf

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, 20 amp is way big enough. That relay coil will draw minimal current. The heavy load is on the red and orange wires. I'm assuming you are wiring a fuel pump in place of the fan. As a safety measure, a lot of people also install an oil pressure switch in that pink wire. That way, if the engine stops, the fuel pump is disabled. Otherwise, the engine could ie for any number of reasons and the fuel pump could keep pumping.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Thank you. I have a safety switch in the trunk. I installed a Ford styl safety switch

4. Use a cigarette lighter to activate the fuel pump.

Airborne34 and lippy like this.

5. Put a Toggle switch in the wire fot the relay to ground, I do that with anything with an electric pump, just so I can turn the pump off when trouble shooting with the key on.

stillrunners likes this.
  6. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Good idea. Thanks

7. It works great in early V8 fords. They had a toggle switch under the dash for the gauge lights. I use that switch for the fuel pump ground and wire the gauge lights through the parking lights.