Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for someone to drop an Anglia axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AccurateMike, Oct 25, 2020.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

Looking for a little axle with little spindles for a little car. Didn't think it was going to be easy. Thank you to all who have responded so far.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. rudestude

rudestude

Looks like your getting some good info...
    I took a closer look at my axle and I was off on the pin bore .
    The boss is 1 3/4"Long , 1 1/4" OD. , pin bore is actually a
    "cunt hair" under 7/8", haven't gone digital yet.
    Up against my speedway axle thats going under my Studebaker champion, its small. 20201026_163628~3.jpeg 20201026_163532~2.jpeg 20201026_163313~2.jpeg 20201026_163728~2.jpeg 20201026_163359~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and AccurateMike like this.
  3. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Mike at 47 Industries in north jersey can probably help you out, metal wizard and really solid dude!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 and AccurateMike like this.
  4. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Great pictures rudestude. That is an interesting axle. I'll be sure to check out 47 Industries as well. Joe from Joe's Speed ( http://www.joesspeedshop.com ) has replied and can likely help me out. Thanks Bursonaw ! I appreciate everyone's help.

-Brent-, lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Great. Does anyone have an Anglia front axle to sell in that case?

6. atch

atch

AccurateMike,

Please update us with what you finally wind up with; i.e., having yours dropped, buying new, buying used, etc.

7. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

atch, I will post the results as I get them. A before pic: IMG_20201026_201732790.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  8. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I just heard back from Sid at droppedaxles.com . He can do Anglia axles as well. I'll keep folks posted as to how I make out.

9. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

If you need an axle and source one in the UK you can get it sent to mine if you want and I will relay it over to you in USA

10. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Thanks trikejunkie ! I just had two deliveries come from the UK today. I have 6 British cars. I have often wished I had a contact on the other side :) ! I'm good now, I will make a note, just in case. Thanks again !

11. GeneBob

GeneBob

Hey AccrateMike! Just want to throw another idea at you. If you are only going for a couple inches of drop, you might want to consider giving Posey's a call. They can make custom drop springs by reversing the eye of the main leaf. I don't know what your front suspension looks like but maybe this would work for you without having to alter your axle. I got a reverse eye front spring for my 30 Tudor and they were very helpful.

AccurateMike likes this.
  12. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

GeneBob, torsion bars. It's a little tight, the holes for the wishbones are pretty close together. With the arms on the torsion bars roughly reaching the wishbones (width wise), the bars won't be that far apart. I'll probably need to run them under the frame, either side of the oil pan. Every inch of drop equals that much shorter tie rod from the torsion arm to the axle/wishbone. Anglia's were narrow. What I'm building is probably 70% the size of an A or, a regular sized British "special". I had said
    This is a '55 Dellow Dellow-MK2-1955.jpg
    Thanks, Mike

Tin Lizzie likes this.
  13. 97

I have another idea, probably involves getting one from Jolly Olde England though. Fordson pickup or Van has an I beam axle, same width (pin to pin) as an Anglia, but the weight of a Model A axle, and I think takes Model A /V8 stub axles and king pins. I have some here but I am 12000 miles away. Will see if I can get a picture and take some measurements. You will still need to get it dropped, but it will likely fit in the V8 jig!

AccurateMike likes this.
  14. I'm guessing AccurateMike will not be one of those guys posting about how they can't fit in a 34 Ford coupe!

AccurateMike and Just Gary like this.
  15. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

97, thanks.I'd love to have an E83W Fordson/Thames ! I think they are cool. I have my Anglia axle, spindles, some brakes to fit, a rear with brakes to match and a steering linkage. I have found at least two shops that can drop it. I am well and surely going down the Anglia axle path. And X38 is right. I am far from portly. I'm building the body tub from scratch. So, I will fit. (Maybe barely.) Thanks, Mike

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

I have a E93A (US Ford Anglia/UK Ford Popular) axle here in the UK which needs to be dropped 3" for a project I have. I would be interested in the how and whether of getting your axle dropped by Sids or whoever on your side of the pond. The only alternative would be for me to build a jig like the one in the Youtube video and do it myself -the E93A axle is quite a bit smaller than the US Ford one, so I think one Oxy Acetylene torch and one Propane torch should have enough heat. I do have a couple of these axles here but would rather not risk boogering one at my first attempt if I can just ship it over.

BTW, love the idea of a Dellow style car, some years ago I met Mr Delingpole (the Del of the Dellow company) at a speed hillclimb event, a really nice bloke, and although he was very old, he was still really engaged with club level motorsport which is what the Dellow cars were built for during the long post war austerity era in our country.

AccurateMike likes this.
  17. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Stueeee, keep an eye on this thread. I'll be posting my progress and results for sure. It was a Dellow that led me to my Ruby. I got to North Carolina to look at a TC, a Dellow and the Ruby. I wasn't up to the expense of a full on TC resto. The Dellow was a basket case. The Ruby was my best prospect. 1300 miles RT. From what I understand, the Dellow was sold to someone in the UK and shipped back over. He took the TC with him back to Florida. There was also an early 7 roller there. He left it when he moved out. I only had room on the trailer for one. I regret not going back for the 7 and Dellow. Dellows are pretty scarce, especially over here. Mike

KiWinUS likes this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since there are now lots of you entering into this discussion, I will ask again. Does anyone have an Anglia front axle assembly for sale? I have an Austin Ruby - like the one in Accurate Mike's avatar. These cars have an axle with a transverse leaf front spring similar to the Anglia but are not suitable for a dropped axle. If Mike ends up with a dropped axle after all this, I would like to do the same. The Austin 7 guys lower their axles with a drop in the center to clear a flatter spring to achieve a drop - kind of ugly and very costly to send an axle over to England for an ugly fix.

KiWinUS likes this.
  19. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Mike at 47 Industries said he doesn't drop axles. He is concentrating on motorcycles and gotten away from cars. Great video Stueee. Gotta love the bouncing ! Trials is something we should have more of here. Years ago, I remember seeing a competition car that had a FWD transaxle with one axle leading to the rear for some righteous gear reduction. Classic Trials is cool. It's amazing what some of the little, old cars can do. I guess all driving was trials at one time.

20. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

The axle is boxed up and on it's way out to the salon. It's going to get it's ends curled. We'll see how she looks in a few weeks, thanks, Mike

21. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

OK, the axle came back today. Joe's and Nostalgia Sid's both said they would do it. Joe answered first, so I called him first. He said he would make a jig and it would be about a month. I called Sid and he was a little more into doing it. I sent the axle to Sid. He got it 11/19. Dec 7th I got a little antsy and emailed. Tresea got right back to me and said they were working on it today. Sid finished it up 12/30 (Darn, I don't know how he can make any money at that rate :) ) It took a month either way. I hope Joe wasn't counting on it. I watched an interview with Sid on the YouTube, he and Joe used to work together. Apparently, Oklahoma is a hotbed of axle dropping activity.

Sid dropped it about 2". It did narrow the axle 1 1/2". (It was 41 1/2" CTR to CTR. Now it is more like 40") That's OK, I'm not sure I would want to stretch-drop this dainty of an axle, even for my lightweight car. We'll see if I can turn around in a parking lot :). It's clean and painted black. He said he straightened it and set the caster. To what degree, I don't know. I'll have to call him. It rings like a bell. I'm not stripping and magging it. It looks nice.

DroppedAnglia.jpg

Both Joe's and Nostalgia Sid's were a pleasure to work with. You have to hand it to Joe, he's still kickin' it out at 80. I would recommend either. This whole thread came about because if you Google "dropped axles", Sid's pops right up. I filled out the online form and sent it on. He didn't get right back, I got antsy and started this thread.

I want to thank everybody on the H.A.M.B. that had leads. That's what this is about. I know there is nothing on the web about dropping Anglias, I searched for 412 hours (easy, COVID and all). We had our nay-sayers here, I knew better. Like I said, some people have mad skills. There is no nationwide phone book of axle droppers. When the Google comes up empty this place, and ones like it, are where it's at. From now on, this post will be out there. I understand how this whole message board thing works. I was doing EGroups in the '90's. My living relied on posting about my (former) OT engine/stroker kit/blower kit business on a bunch of boards for about a decade. ( https://web.archive.org/web/20011129234223/http://www.accuratepower.com/ , me in 2001 ). This stuff helps the H.A.M.B. as a whole and increases their web presence on the Google. The same goes for every shop we mentioned.

Thanks again, Mike

PS, it's a good thing I'm not that into Gospel (unless it gets bluesy), and a shout out to treb11 for his flatulence.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    guthriesmith, Tman, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  22. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Thanks so much for the useful update, If I can't find anyone here in the UK to drop My Anglia/Popular axle, I should have the option of shipping it to Sid's.

AccurateMike likes this.
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

Thank you Mike for the updated information. That is indeed a good looking axle. Unfortunately the Austin's axle measures out at 35" so I would need to eliminate about 5" in the middle. Hope Sid gets back to me with a solution, otherwise I am looking at go kart IFS parts from China.

AccurateMike likes this.
  24. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

I guess these two have never heard of a Rose bud.

nochop likes this.
  25. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Try researching a Bellamy front suspension set up. Methinks you might like it.

26. dek

dek
    from uk

what about jerry denning ?

27. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

[​IMG]

Funny you should say that, the car the axle is going on is the Austin Seven in the foreground of this photo which has a 1930s produced LMB (the LMB being Leslie M Ballamy) suspension setup fitted already. I have dropped the pivot points since this photo was taken and moved the Armstrong damper units outward to increase their effectiveness. but even with the spring flattened and the spring eyes inverted, the ride height still needs to be dropped 2" to get the correct stance for this "Sports Model" Seven which is substantially lower than the '31 Touring version immediately behind.

I have just spoke to Jerry -that's been on my to-do list for a while. Sadly, he doesn't do small Ford axles, although he did give me some very good advice over the phone on how to DIY this job.

Fordors and AccurateMike like this.
  28. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Specials
    This is Ballamy-esque as well.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, do tell !
    I'm half tempted to split mine and do away with lateral location (panhard, watts etc.)
    Mike

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  29. Thanks for the follow-up. Sid is great to work with and an even better friend. The fact that we have been close friends and only live about 2 miles from each other let’s me stay up with what all he has going. I know he likes to be challenged and do one-off stuff at times like this and I am glad you are happy with what he did.

For anyone referring to this thread for reference, it is always best to call Sid as far as getting quick replies. I know he has struggled for a while to keep good help and he and Tresea stay pretty busy doing the axles as well as helping their daughter with her sign business located there in the same location. One thing you can always count on with Sid is that it will be right when it is done.

AccurateMike likes this.
  30. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

guthriesmith, dealing with Nostalgia Sid's was a pleasant and painless experience.
    https://droppedaxles.com/
    Everyone should have a dropped axle !
    Mike

guthriesmith likes this.