Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Today was a good day...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by five-oh, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Great story, thanks for putting it up here. I'll bet that made the farmers decade! Good on you for taking it out to show him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre likes this.
  2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Some family members you want to bring home and others you can't get to leave! LOL

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Hombre likes this.
  3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

There are not enough words to describe how cool this all is.

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Awesome, gotta love it.

Hombre likes this.
  5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My Grandpa Carter had a 51 AD Chevy that was his only vehicle for years. He would take me to the local country store some times in the evening. He would give me a quarter and I would get him a 7-UP and a King Edward cigar and me a Gem cream soda and a couple pieces of bubble gum and bring him back 2 pennies. Even as a little kid I noticed that Grandpa never used second gear, he took off in low, went what seemed like 50 foot then right into high. When my Dad and Uncle finally talked him into buying a car I wanted the pickup but I was just a kid and the neighbor guy had dibs on it. He used it a couple years and traded it in on a new truck and I never saw it again.

five-oh and Hombre like this.
  6. SS327

SS327

Very cool story!

Denny

Hombre and 6inarow like this.
  7. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Sam !

Ron Funkhouser and Hombre like this.
  8. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

I like story's like that. It makes you feel good and you get to brighten up somebody else's day.

9. That is a good day!-Thanks for sharing your story- one that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy .

10. Terrible80

Terrible80

People who don't respect and love old iron are really missing something!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

five-oh likes this.
  11. Old Chevrolet Trucks never die, they just make their new caretakers happy!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rod noken and five-oh like this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just don't dub the truck 'Son of Sam'...

five-oh and Terrible80 like this.
  13. Dang my eyes are sweating

Rickybop and five-oh like this.
  14. Hey FiveO

I think I have had at least 5 of these old trucks....super cool old vehicles...that really make you appreciate how far we have come with general automotive engineering practices...I love the smell of the cabs...reminds me of being a kid again and my dad is driving me somewhere in one of his old trucks...
    Hope you have fun with it again...
    MikeC
    Last one I had shown below...3800 model DSCN3127.JPG

five-oh likes this.
  15. I also had a 3800 series 1 ton.. Mine was a '48 with the 8 lug wheels [split rims] and a 9 foot box. I hated that thing! Rode terrible, wouldn't start and it took 2 acres to turn it around....
    My buddy and neighbor, Lloyd drove past my place today with his super sano 49 GMC...stopped to say Hi. His has IFS, 350 chevy etc...very nice finished truck! Photo from last fall. lloydstruck.jpg

Tim and five-oh like this.
  16. I just found this thread. Congrats, Five-O! Well played. And I agree, Rivertown BBQ is a great place for lunch. :)
    Where in AR are you located? I'm in Fayetteville.

five-oh likes this.
  17. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I'm just north of Morrilton, nearly in the center of the state.
    And I am now attempting to locate a cheap, but good open drive rear end with decent highway gears. Found a Canyon rear end with 3.42s and may go with that. I'd like to get a open drive rear end/tranny swap done before it gets cold. Once it is reliable to drive, I'll be able to do other work at a slightly more leisurely rate.
    I don't know what it is about A.D trucks but when you say "1950's pickup" my mind goes directly to AD Chevy's, just like "Classic car" makes me think of a '57 Bel air. I could see them becoming an addiction.

Late to the Party likes this.
  18. raven

raven

The 3.42 gear would work well with your 235.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

five-oh likes this.
  19. silverdome

silverdome

Well, I just caught back up with this story and I've got to say it brings joy to my heart knowing there are still people in this world that care about other people. Hats off to you five-oh and hats off to Mr. Sam too. Your description of him patting the fenders and telling you how the cow had kicked a dent in the fender are just what I imagined might happen.

Also Mr. Sam was right, God is good.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Atwater Mike, Rickybop and five-oh like this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, five-oh.
    I hope you and your old truck are good. Just read about your visit with Sam again. I gotta tell ya... every word of it is so touching.

While patting the fender...
    "Still as solid as ever."
    Really gets me... LOL.
    All the luck to you and Sam.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Five-Oh,

This picture is so good, I took the liberty of re-posting it in today's Friday Art thread, and Cool Photos thread (with credit to you). Sorry I didn't get your blessing first; hope you don't object!

Attached Files:

five-oh likes this.
  22. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Figured I'd update this here....I'll likely just use this thread as a build thread, ect, as there is more wisdom on these old rides here than most places..
    During the time I've had with the old truck, it became apparent that the SM420 needs rebuilt, and as I mentioned earlier I wanted to have a bit more "legs" for cruising. Myself and a good friend have reached an understanding on an open drive SM420 from his parts stash, so I get to keep the granny low and truck experience that is so important, since this will be mostly a restore to shop truck status.
    But I was still looking for a rear end. The 3.42 Canyon rear was a bit pricier than I'd hoped, and I wasn't sure if that gear ratio would do exactly what I wanted.
    Then facebook marketplace came to the rescue. A friend, knowing I was looking, sent me a link. Long story short, I took off work an hour early today, fired up the '46 and went on a three hour round trip. Brought this little jewel back..
    12bolt.jpg
    It's a 12 bolt with 3.08 gears. The guy I got it from had pulled it from his 4x4 '66 Chevy on a 78 Blazer chassis project when he swapped to one ton axles. But before he swapped it , he put new bearings, seals, wheel cylinders, gaskets, brake shoes- everything- in it. He even cared enough to DISCONNECT the emergency brake lines instead of cutting them. Cost to me? A whopping $100. I couldn't get there quick enough.
    Now, I just have to pick up a new clutch kit, and we can start the fun. (We'll have to build a driveshaft too, but that shouldn't be an issue). Edging closer to reliable and new floor pans..
    It'll be a miracle if my wife doesn't lose patience and scalp me before this moneypit is done. Currently, she is supportive. LOL

23. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

It's been a while since I updated this thread. Thanks to the pandemic, it has been slow going, but we have managed to install the rear end.I picked up a low mileage SM420 out of a Minnesota grain truck that reportedly had less than 30k miles on it. Looking at the inside of the transmission, I can believe it, as it looked like brand new. I wound up spending a bit more than I had planned- while it was apart, it made sense to replace parts, so we put in a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing; had the flywheel resurfaced; new ring gear; new driveshaft custom built by a local heavy equipment shop; new brake hoses; new fuel pump and fuel line; and new shocks. Oh, and the starter was acting up, so off it went to the local old timer's shop. Old timer looked about 80 years old- he looked at the starter, asked where I bought the truck, then laughed and begin pointing out markings and paint colors. " I rebuilt this starter 'round 30 years ago for Mr Sam". Gotta love a small town.

Unfortunately, my friend Mr Sam didn't make it to see his old truck restored like I had hoped. In April of this year, he suffered a stroke, and passed peacefully a day or so later. His family had, by virtue of a small town, facebook, and mutual friends, found the picture of him waving while standing next to the old truck on the facebook page I set up to keep my car friends advised of progress. I was unable to make it to his funeral due to other commitments I couldn't get out of, but I was honored when they told me that my pic of him and his old truck was displayed on the wall behind the minister as he spoke of my old friend's life.
    Go with God, Mr Sam. Meanwhile, if the good lord wills, your old truck will roll up the miles in tribute to a good man, and the many life lessons you taught.

Horror Business, SS327, Tim and 9 others like this.
  24. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I dont know where to start, thread started great, a real 'feel good' vibe in among all the bull of our current world, then got even better with the reunion, but then the sad news about Mr Sam.

It sounds like the trucks in good hands, Mr Sam sounds like a good guy.

five-oh and Baumi like this.
  25. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Well, we finally got the old guy back together completely. What was going to be a weekend wound up taking almost six months, what with waiting on parts, Covid issues, and truthfully, having the leisure of not needing it.
    I drove it from the shop today, and put around 100 miles on it. The 235/SM420/3.08 combo is just what I needed around here. As the truck is a cruiser, and won't be hauling alot, it does quite fine. Cruises at 65 ish nicely- it's "sweet spot" seems to be around that, although it's not lugging at 55.
    I went by the old store that the old truck was used for a delivery truck for:

Sam church street.jpg It's still open, although the new owners have it more oriented to catering and food. They DO smoke some decent ribs on Wednesday too.
    sam barn bandw.jpg
    I then ran over to a friends' store, who has a decent collection of HAMB friendly vehicles that he drives regularly- today his ride was an New Design GMC panel, that I failed to get a decent picture of. My friend also owns this old barn, and let me snap a quick pic of Sam there.
    Now to go to work on the rust repair- the Flintstone floors aren't real comforting when you look down and see the asphalt passing under you. :D
    Sad thing is, I spent all this money and work, and my wife can't see the difference and still harbors a desire to banish Sam behind the privacy fence.
    I'm winning right now though. He's parked proudly for the world to see next to her Luxo-barge Caddy Xt5. Talk about a contrast. :p

26. 392

Great story and nice old truck.

five-oh likes this.
  27. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Thanks for posting- just great... love it...

five-oh likes this.
  28. That's great you have it back on the road - and with some nice updates!
    I can sympathize with you on the wife front, tho. My wife still does not like to ride in ours. I'm hoping that once I get sound deadener installed and keep the windows from rattling she'll warm up to it.
    Keep at it!

five-oh likes this.
  29. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

My wife went for the first ride yesterday evening, about 5 miles. It was: 1) hot. 2) stinky 3) "Why is this battery in the floorboard?" and 4) "Will I fall out?". :D
    But she DID say that the old guy ran well, and I looked happy. Ya think? LOL
    I don't think Sam will ever make her fall in love- she's spoiled to leather seats and a/c and the closest he'll get to leather is driving by a cow. A/C is two windows down with the little vent windows turned toward me.:D

30. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I've gotten a bit done , especially over the holiday weekend. I've gotten the floorplans installed, and kick panel patch panels in. Cut out the bad metal, and since I can't weld, I used panel bond after speaking to a friend that works in a body shop. The supports were all solid , just the floor pans mainly were gone.
    The old farmer had cut 1/4 inch steel with a torch and thrown it over the rot.
    After much measuring, cutting, beating, and getting a new appreciation for the phrase "making a preacher cuss"- it nearly did, since in addition to my secular profession I minister at a small local church- we now have floors in. I found that the front cab mounts were solid, and it's a good thing- the farmer had welded pieces of quarter inch steel over the mounts in the cab, effectively boxing the braces. His welding was much better than his cutting skills too. Since the mount was solid, I didn't try to torch them out and create more problems for myself. I'm not the most experienced at this stuff, and I want to drive this truck, not spend the next 40 years making it perfect and not be able to do anything but look at it.
    So, I still have a bit of panel bond to put on a kick panel patch, then use seam sealer on the seams. Then a coat of bed liner, which will eventually be Sam floor.jpg
    covered by padding and a rubber mat.. Nope, it is not show quality. But I realized a few things.
    1) Perfect is the enemy of good enough
    2) It is miles better than what was in it
    3) This is a keeper truck- It'll only leave my possession after my breath has left my possession, so I'm the only one that has to be satisfied.
    4) I'm satisfied.
    I am glad to be a step closer to decent. Now, little by little, finish the job up, paint the interior, replace the gauges and speedo..... then, we are off to the fun part of body work outside..
    Now if I can talk my wife into a nice interior package of around $350 from Classic Parts for Christmas..