Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some help identifying an old sprint car

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 19tdave, Nov 4, 2020.

1. 19tdave

19tdave

I am looking at old sprint car that has a bolt on cage - The gentleman that owns it says it's a Dave Mcpherson built car. The car is in great shape how can I identify a McPherson chassis?? First I never heard of one before but that means nothing. The older gentleman can't tell what color it was but thinks it was a#4 and the guy he bought from was from NY state - Any help would be great appreciated.
    Dave

2. tractorguy

tractorguy

Go over to the Vintage Sprint Car thread and pose the question. There are lots of folks there. I am in the Midwest, so I am not familiar with NY or east coast stuff and never heard of McPherson. Also, Sprint Car Museum in Knoxville, Iowa may be a resource for you. Good luck and have fun

3. 19tdave

19tdave

Thank you - McPherson was out of Bellefontaine Ohio

4. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Google Mauri Amerling to see some photos of some of Dave's cars.

5. 19tdave

19tdave

Thanks - What I found in my google search that the #1 car was built by Ron Ward. The number #4 cars were Grant King cars. but I didn't find a McPherson built car. Lee Kunzman who drove one of the #4 said it was a grant king car. So that's what I was able to find.

6. noboD

noboD

Try Eastern Museum of Motor Racing, EMMR or Latimore. They have an extensive library, website, etc. Might have to wait for the weekend, not sure they are open during the week.

7. 19tdave

19tdave

My findings to find McPherson built sprint car connected with Dave McPherson, Sam Sessions and Mauri Amerling. I can't prove any of this! It is what people have reported to me and if anybody can verify any of this it would be greatly appreciated.

1967 -Gil Hess drove a no. 31 car for Hoffmans I do not know what chassis it was.
    1967 - Bill Johns bought the 31 and Gil Hess drove it for him
    1968 - Mauri Amerling bought the Bill Johns car and Gil Hess drove it the no. 73 I do not know what chassis it was.
    1969 - Gil Hess drove the 73 for Mauri
    1970 - Gil Hess drove the 73 for Mauri until the bad accident at Salem
    1971 - Don Nordhorn started with Amerling but switched to the Kinkle #7 and Lee Kunzman drove a #4 ( Grant King car) for Mauri. Lee confirmed the #4 was a Grant King car.
    1972 - Sam Sessions drove #4 car for Mauri but there were two no. 4's one a Grant King the other a Ron Ward car. McPherson was the crew chief
    1973 - Sam Sessions drove the #1 car for Mauri a Ron Ward car and D. McPherson as crew chief. The #1 ward car would be later restored by Jim Mann
    1974 - Sam Sessions drove the #5 car for Mauri two cars available King and Ward car
    1975 - Here is where I couldn't find much info Sam Sessions there were #5, #7 and #16 Amerling cars I do not know what chassis
    1976 -1978 - I believe Joe Saldana started driving for Amerling in the #5,#7 or #16 cars they look like king cars but not sure.

So if anyone can shed some light on all this it would be helpful.
    Thank you so much
    Dave

tractorguy likes this.
  8. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

You might see if you can contact Ralph De Palma ( Lima, oh area ) or Mac Clingan ( Cleveland, oh area ? ) if either are still around.

As a side note the remains of the car in the Hess crash ended up with Paul Leffler.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  9. 19tdave

19tdave

Thank you for the info - I appreciate your help.
    Dave

10. 19tdave

19tdave

My latest update has been highlighted - Thank you to all who have given me information
    Trying to identify a McPherson built sprint car with connections with Dave McPherson, Sam Sessions and Mauri Amerling. It is what people have reported to me and if anybody can verify any of this it would be greatly appreciated.

1967 -Gil Hess drove a no. 31 car for Hoffmans I do not know what chassis it was.
    1967 - Bill Johns bought the 31 and Gil Hess drove it for him

1968 - Mauri Amerling bought the Bill Johns car. Gil Hess drove the no. 73 (verified)- I do not know what chassis it was.
    1969 - Gil Hess drove the 73 for Mauri (verified)
    1970 - Gil Hess drove the 73 for Mauri until the bad accident at Salem (verified) – Crashed car went to Paul Leffler? Was the car repaired?

1971 - Don Nordhorn started with Amerling but switched to the Kinkle #7 and Lee Kunzman drove a #4 ( Grant King car) for Mauri. Lee confirmed the #4 was a Grant King car (Verified).
    1972 - Sam Sessions drove #4 car for Mauri but there were two no. 4's one a Grant King the other a Ron Ward car. McPherson was the crew chief (Verified)
    1973 - Sam Sessions drove the #1 car for Mauri a Ron Ward car and D. McPherson as crew chief. The #1 ward car would be later restored by Jim Mann (Verified)

1974 - Sam Sessions drove the #5 car for Mauri two cars available King and Ward car – Russ Ruppert as crew chief
    1975 - Here is where I couldn't find much info Sam Sessions there were #5, #7 and #16 Amerling cars I do not know what chassis – Russ Ruppert as crew chief.
    1976 -1978 - I believe Joe Saldana started driving for Amerling in the #5,#7 or #16 cars they look like king cars but not sure. Russ Ruuppert as crew chief.

So if anyone can shed some light on all this it would be helpful.
    Thank you so much

11. noboD

noboD

Have you asked Rootie Kazootie on here? Don't know if he 's following your thread or not but he knows race cars and drivers.

tractorguy likes this.
  12. tractorguy likes this.