Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Arrow Headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Nov 6, 2020.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Spent a month hunting these dam Arrow headlights. Finally got a response from a HAMBer that he had some. He sent pictures that were set up to look good so I bought. Just one thing, they weren't quite as described and were missing the 4 spring clips that hold the headlight retainer to the rim on one light. Now I'm stuck with one good light and one parts light and of course no help from the seller. Would any of you fellow HAMBers have any idea where to find 4 clips? I ordered early Ford (32) clips and while they are the right shape they're way to big. I'd appreciate any help you can give me as I'd like to use the lights on my 32 highboy sedan. Thanks

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. I love the Arrow 775H lights and have a couple of nice, complete ones. Sorry, I don't have any extra clips, but you might be able to make a couple of them from some stiff wire if you have a good one or two for templates. They are quite tricky to get back in the right position if you take one apart and forget how they go back together. Good luck. Hopefully someone has a few extras lying around. They seemed to be a pretty common light back in the day, more so than most Guides or King Bees.

Stogy and HemiDeuce like this.
  3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Gary I used to make the spring clips or we called it a wire form at the spring company. I had a box of them and let me see if I can find them or hate to say I may have thrown them out.

4. Can the 32 clips be cut down or re-bent to work?

5. I ran Arrow 441's on my old RPU. Loved them, still do. The headlights So Cal sells are direct copies of the Arrow 441's. Maybe they could sell you what you neec.

6. Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  7. May seem strange but google greenhouse glazing clips. They fit lots of old headlights:eek:. I,ve used them for donkeys ages but never figured out how they work for a greenhouse :confused::p
    glazing clips.jpg

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Fortunately I have one light that is assembled. I have a large glass shop in a nearby town, I might try them? So-Cal no longer manufactures the lights.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    continentaljohn and Stogy like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Up until a couple years ago you could still buy the lights from Arrow. No chrome on the rings though. Have you called Arrow? You’d be luckier than me if you could get them to sell just the clips.

10. I remember reading a post where the guy used the wire handles from a paper clamp to make the bulb retainer clips. Didn't say which size clip, tho.
    clip.jpg

11. I have some clips from a guide spot light, can you post some pics of the clips with measurements.

12. This photo is from the link above.
    Arrow light rings SUCCESS.jpg
    @1oldtimer

13. I had/have a set of Arrows that I got a long time ago from SoCal speedshop. The clips came with them, I took them apart and they sat on the shelf for so long that I had to go to a truck parts place to get somebody to show me how the clips went in. I recently took them off my Roadster and changed to stock headlights. Last I looked those headlights were still available from Arrow. I think they were originally designed to go on snowmobiles. If I can find the link I’ll post it.

14. Here is the link to Arrow. I don’t see anything in their current catalog that looks like the lights we’re talking about, but there is a phone number. ‘Might be worth a call...they might have some clips lying around. Good Luck!
    https://arrowsafetydevice.com/

15. Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  16. Hudson31

Hudson31

Try looking in the corner of the garage. It has been a few years, but the last time I needed a spring, I used the spring from a mouse trap. It was easily shaped and kept the “spring” action.?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. continentaljohn likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got some Arrow buckets I accumulated but don't think that any have the clips to even see what they look like.

A search shows that Seadog did a thread asking about the clips that shows the clips. They look like what Pprather showed.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/arrow-775h-headlight-help.1020903/
    THIS LINK IS TO SHOW WHAT THE CLIPS LOOK LIKE not for guys to answer a 4 year old dead thread.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    continentaljohn likes this.
  19. They are just made from spring steel wire, it comes in all diameters. Any spring manufacturers would have it.
    Easy to make yourself and satisfaction doing it yourself, a simple skill to learn and have .
    I have made them for vintage bikes and cars, have a go and impress yourself.

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mouse approved...:D

548px-MightyMouse.jpg

Credit to Artist, Owner

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  21. junkman8888

junkman8888

If you decide to make your own the wire you'll want to be using is called "music" or "piano" wire, you can get it in different diameters at a good hobby store, is used to make landing gear legs for model airplanes.

22. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have a few sets of the arrows and will take one apart. Yes music wire is the materials to use but we made them out of 17-7 stainless. It’s a spring steel but higher corrosion resistance we also would straighten the wire to get positioned as coiled wire had a mind of its own. These are .062 SS rods for wire forms and in this case antennas for Police and fire vehicles . Gary I can send you a rod if we dont find the clips. image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Thanks to all the responses, I think I have found a supplier of the correct clips, I know in a few days.

RICH B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. .........Let us know as mine are a little rusty.

RICH B likes this.
  25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Phil: Your picture sure looks correct. If the supplier in CA hasn't got any I know where to find some if they're still available. Today I had to drive 20 miles to buy an 8/32 tap and die to fix the screw and bracket that hold the rim on. Sometimes you just can't win, but that's the way it goes.

26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Supplier in CA hasn't got any clips so I went on Arrows site furnished by Phil and they showed the clips so I placed an order and paid thru Pay Pal. Feeling dam good that I got this deal handled. Got home from a road trip today and bingo a refund thru PP from Arrow that they were no longer available so I'm back to square one? May just have to scrap the lights? I'm fairly crafty but I may be stumped? I need help.

27. speedshifter

speedshifter

ma
    I secured seal beams into my E&J lights 10 yrs ago with clear silicone, you can not see the silicone from the outside. Greg

28. Gary, I was going to give you a like, but I don't want you to scrap lights for lack of a couple wire clips. Especially when you have clips to use as pattern in the other lights.
    Worst case. Send me a sample clamp, a bezel and a lens. And those 32 clips. I feel fairly confident I could get the pieces assembled.
    Any other volunteers more skilled than me want to try?

29. alchemy

alchemy

Continental John was going to send you some wire to bend your new ones out of. Just make them match the other side, right? I guess if you decide to scrap them I'll give you my address and some shipping money. ;)

30. I can take my lights apart & get exact measurements of the clips and post here if you want to try to bend up some.

lothiandon1940 and pprather like this.