Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 Model A Tudor Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Brian Frescura, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Brian Frescura

Brian Frescura

Hello, I don't know if this is in the correct forum but I wanted to share my build.

I recently purchased a 29 Tudor and it was in pretty good shape but the motor was out. Turns out it needed a new clutch kit, and various other bits to make it driveable. This is how I picked it up :

thumbnail_20200531_105404.jpg

I work 2 jobs so it took me about three weeks to fix what the engine needed to run and get the engine back in and make it driveable. This is what it looks like now:

thumbnail_20200610_161534.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20200721_114229_949.jpg

At first, I was going to use the stock frame and box it as it is in really good condition. (It is not the original frame or engine). But after deciding on where I wanted to go with it, I decided to buy a frame from Boling Bros. I went with a 5-14 frame as I want this to have a low stance.
    thumbnail_IMG_20200724_133145_538.jpg

I started driving it around the neighborhoods in my area but found that the water pump was just puking coolant even after tightening the packing nut. Being that this motor is not staying in ( going to run a Coyote motor from a mustang and carb it), I decided not to rebuild or replace it and put that money towards other parts for the build as it also does not drive very well in stock form. Once you hit about 25-30 mph, it's very squirrely and you never know which way it will dart.

I have already started collecting the parts like dropped I-beam axle, disc brakes, hairpins, just to name a few. I plan to chop it 4.5 inches and channel it the height of the frame. Once I can get the stock running chassis sold, my garage will be clear and I will get started setting up the suspension to the frame and also to accept the body, as I added the channeled floor structure Boling Bros. offers at the time of the frame build.

As I said before, I plan to run the carbed Coyote motor, but also a Tremec TKO 600 5spd trans and a Ford 9 inch rear with a 4 link and coil overs. I hope to be able to post more soon!

Robert Fisher, MO_JUNK, Tim and 4 others like this.
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Boy Brian, that looks to be a great start to your project.
    Keep us posted on your progress.

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

just below the HAMB tag on your ride the date of the gastank's manufacture is stamped into the tank... day/ month/ year .. HIH... '28-'29 only.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  4. Boling Bros make a nice product. Good choice.

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. Brian Frescura

Brian Frescura

thumbnail_IMG_20201025_144427.jpg
    thumbnail_20201104_175534.jpg

So, finally sold the running chassis and got started on assembling the front axle/suspension.

thumbnail_IMG_20201026_124236_667.jpg
    I also ordered wheels and tires but the wheels are on back order.

KiWinUS likes this.
  6. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

Interested in selling the original frame?

7. Narum5

Narum5

8. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Big kick in the back, can even see a kick up "sweep" in the front, can't wait to see how low it sits. Great start!!! Bill

Brian Frescura likes this.
  9. Brian Frescura

Brian Frescura

Already sold it, sorry.

10. Brian Frescura

Brian Frescura

You are correct. it is a 5 inch sweep in front and a 14 inch kick up in the rear.

11. Brian Frescura

Brian Frescura

thumbnail_20201114_171358.jpg

thumbnail_20201114_171408.jpg

Also got the front hairpins mounted and tacked into place.
    All brackets and mounts will be tacked into place with my little buzz box and then I will either take the frame to a welder or have a mobile welder come out and burn everything in for me.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Brian Frescura

Brian Frescura

Just wanted to post an update:

Went in a totally different direction with the motor. Picked up a couple of Mopar 413 Wedge blocks on the cheap...one of 'em is bound to be good to rebuild. Desktop Dyno says with what I want to do to it, should make 585 hp- 600 lb/ft. We shall see where this goes....

Also scrapped the idea of using a manual. Came to the realization that there is not going to be a lot of available room for 3 pedals. So now i'm probably going to use a 727 or a 700r4 with an adapter to mate it to the Mopar block. This means I will have to modify or replace the transmission crossmember I had built into the frame when I ordered it....oh well...

Picked up a Ford 9 inch rear axle, complete, out of a 74 F series. Going to clean it up and get the brackets cut off so I can get it set into place and tack weld the triangulated 4 link brackets into place.

Slid the body out of the garage to set the rear wheels next to it to see how she'll look. Approximate ride height is shown....she should be low...

162853996_10159409251470452_6575720104728885822_o.jpg

Next up is to get the channeled subfloors that came with my frame welded in. Then I'll cut out the original subfloor/braces and mock the body up onto the frame with some help from friends. I've also got a woodworking buddy making me a set of plywood front wheels so I can roll this around easier until I can get my front wheels ordered.

chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  13. Brian Frescura

Brian Frescura

I got the channeled subfloor tacked in place. A few more braces and I'll be able to cut out the original subfloor. Screenshot_20210329-144527_Instagram.jpg

Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of fun in your future.

John

15. A 700r4 with an adapter ehh? You might need an adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Brian Frescura

Brian Frescura

Ended up finding a 200 4r transmission from a buddy, I'll build that up to handle the torque and use it. I found the adapter and it's not cheap....$650.00 but it is what it is, got to have it. I didn't like the wide gear spread of the 700r4.

17. Brian Frescura

Brian Frescura

Does anybody have detailed pictures of the subfloor cut out on an A Tudor specifically? Trying to get an idea of where I should start cutting in the rear....just trying to limit the number of times I have to move the body on and off the frame as I won't always have help available.

I did a search but only found some subfloor cut pics of coupes and trucks.

Just Gary likes this.
  18. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

Brian Frescura likes this.
  19. Brian Frescura

Brian Frescura

I've been lucky enough to get a good deals on the big parts so far.

1974 Ford F-100 9 in Just need to cut off the factory brackets and clean it up to prep for welding on the new bracketry to mount underneath my chassis.
    axle.jpg

Ended up with a 200 4r transmission out of a G body. I liked the gear spread better than the 700r4
    2004r.jpg

I took this photo with a potato apparently.
    REAR.jpg