Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 ford truck

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 2345.coupe, Jul 27, 2020.

1. I don't know.....

2. Where did you come up with that bench seat? Looks to me like it fits pretty well.

3. Will that tranny take the T150 jeep shifter conversion? I saw one on that auction sight the other day

4. theseat came with the truck, probable the 3rd seat in a minivan.....

I'm not sure. I'd have to get guidance on that.

5. lots of posts on the 3 and 4 spd conversions using the jeep tower. Here is a link to one

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/t176.1178490/#post-13381212

the 176 is used for 4spds and the t150 for the 3 spds. Remove the side shifters, block the holes and use the top from the jeep. Manyolcars had a long post on doing this behind a model A 4 cyl. It is a common swap over on the Ford Forum. The shifter ends up in almost the same spot as the OE unit from Henry.

I am hunting for a t150 myself. I am going to try one on a ford 3 spd behind an Olds possibly.

6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

7. chev34ute

chev34ute

8EB3EDED-6F7C-426A-8338-907A887CE1AF.jpeg A Ford in Ford was enough for me to subscribe. I have a 34 Truck so watching this thread will be valuable for my own build.

King ford, WTF really and 51 mercules like this.
  8. my trans is a 70-71 ,302-351 mustang 4 speed
    tag: RUG AV1 022300
    case # 02AR 7006-CAW1
    so the jeep tower and forks I should is the T 176 out of a 1980-1986 jeep CJ 4 speed.
    Here's the million $ question....anybody got one I can buy.....
    where is a good source to find one...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  9. FourTcoupe

FourTcoupe

That firewall turned out looking good, and worth it to run a Ford motor in it.

10. thanks man.....my little 289 should wind up quicker than hell.....that's perfect for where I live....in the great Adirondack (mountains) Park.....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    sloppy jalopies likes this.
  11. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

It does put the shifter in a good location but it's a truck shifter, don't expect to do an speed shifting into 3rd.

loudbang likes this.
  12. From what I have read the 176 should be the one u need. I will look around.

13. thanks , that's good to know

14. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys. I did do a T176 toploader 4 speed conversion and have some info saved up for anyone who might need it. Got to be honest, speed shifting and an old flathead don't fit in my vocabulary. I think I'd just be asking for trouble.

Oh, also if you cannot find a T176 shifter from a Jeep transmission you can buy all the parts separately. Not cheap but I just replaced my tower, shifter, forks, and some other small parts, so the replacement parts are still out there. The used one I picked up had too many miles on it and I am having a problem with the shift lever locking up on me.

brEad likes this.
  15. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I'll be watching this thread. I have a 33 too!

Attached Files:

16. 33 ford truck shifter arm.jpg 33 ford truck shifter arm1.jpg 33 ford truck shifter arm2.jpg 33 ford truck shifter arm3.jpg 33 ford truck shifter arm4.jpg figuring,heating and bending......dialed in and shifts great.....

loudbang likes this.
  17. Seat from a Caravan?
    Lots of measuring and bending there. :)

18. Yes, I believe it's a caravan 3rd seat.......
    and yes, lots of measuring and bending.....also quite the challenge to swap shifters and dial it in......
    thanks, vtwhead

19. pete & jakes clutch and brake pedal assembly........remote master cylinder set-up......clutch linkage set-up brake&clutch assembly3.jpg finish master cylinder bracket3.jpg master cylinder bracket3.jpg Clutch pedal 1 linkage.JPG new clutch linkage1.jpg new clutch linkage3.jpg new clutch linkage4.jpg new clutch linkage5.jpg

Attached Files:

Jeff34 and loudbang like this.
  20. brake lines, residual valves and brake pressure switch installed..... brake lines,residual valves and brake pressure switch.jpg brake lines,residual valves and brake pressure switch1.jpg brake lines,residual valves and brake pressure switch2.jpg brake lines,residual valves and brake pressure switch3.jpg brake lines,residual valves and brake pressure switch4.jpg brake lines,residual valves and brake pressure switch5.jpg

brEad likes this.
  21. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

With the Mustang box you'll get bumpsteer.Been there done that in 1972. Go with the Vega cross steering IMO.Even with the short w/pump its going to be tight .

micksmith likes this.
  22. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

With the brake light switch on the pressure side of the residual valve, will the brake lights stay on?

23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i just dragged home a '33 truck cut down cowl, i took the pedal mech.
    the dash and the cowl top around the cowlvent...
    any interest in the firewall pcs. ?
    i know it is too late but i will cut them to size if you need any pcs.

24. na, I've always installed the pressure switches in this location......some switches require 60-100lbs to activate the brake lights ....mine, I think is 25 lbs.....
    It will work just fine.....

brEad and Aaron D. like this.
  25. yes, for sure...pm me

brEad likes this.
  26. Ratspit

Ratspit

Great project. Your making good progress. Where did you get the battery tray?

27. I cut the vaga box set-up out. This is my 4th hot rod I've built using a 65 mustang steering box.....never had any issues "yet" ...thanks for your concerns, I really appreciate it.