Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dihlon/Henrob/Cobra versus Jewellers Torches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Can anyone give a informed opinion regarding the two types of torches in the title (Too lazy to type all that out!). I have the Dihlon et al. but still feels uncomfortable and was wondering if the jewellers torch would be any good for sheet metal work. I want to improve my skills in gas welding as I have some '32 stuff I don't want to Mig. However, as many people claim that hammer finishing Mig welds tend to crack them I've never had any problems though I haven't done a ton of them.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think a jewelers torch will be too small. Probably need to look for a small "aircraft" torch from one of the "name" brand companies. Don't know if they still make new ones so it often takes a little looking to find one. They are pretty light weight and then you get a smaller hose too. That makes them easier to manuever and control. Harris, Victor and Smith are good choices. If you skip to about the 9 minute mark there is some good info on torch and tip selection and even a chart. Just notice how handy this size torch is and that its for thin metals.

VANDENPLAS and saltflats like this.
  3. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I recall that @Blue One on here mentioned using a jewellers torch for all his sheet metal work. Knows his crap and built a nice car....

Blue One likes this.
  4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Here is how my torches are set up. I use a "T" setup that employs two gage pairs. The larger gages are for the smaller aircraft torch because they are more adjustable for the lower pressures that are needed. The small gages are for the large cutting torch and rosebud torch where pressure needed is much higher. This way I don't have to fool with switching torches when I want to cut something instead of weld something. Look at the different sizes of the hoses as well as the torches. Much easier to weld with small when you can switch tips in a lightweight torch and hose set up. It gives you lots of heat ranges by simply changing the small tips. If you are going to spend money, I'd get stuff made for what you want to do. Remember, this stuff NEVER loses its value, so its an investment rather than an expense.
    When welding with too small a torch, you will be limited in what you can accomplish, like maybe wanting to spread some body lead some time, or heat a part for tempering. Spend your money on stuff thats versatile and maintains its value.
    Torch 2xa.jpg

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Opportune time to investigate tig???

Chris

continentaljohn likes this.
  6. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Jewellery torch will work fine, not the micro torch though. Would recommend oxy / propane, cleaner and generally cheaper. I have used this for working in platinum so it gets plenty hot enough

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for the video link. I'll watch it a little later.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You can get small tips for a standard size torch body.

9. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I use a triple 0 tip in my little Smith. Also have a Henrob but haven't ever got used to the pistol grip.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

My son has a Tig and he'll do any of that for me. I keeps "suggesting" that I should learn, maybe later.
    What's th difference between a micro and a jewellers torch?

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have used jeweler's torches on jewelry but can't imagine why you would want to use one for automotive sheet metal. Maybe I'm just impatient but I like a bit of heat to melt the metal. Have had my Henrob torch for 30 years or so and I don't see any real advantage to a regular torch. Maybe I should practice welding beer cans.

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Make sure that they are empty first! LOL

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Is that a Nomex brand welding table cover? LOL

14. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

. Size, the top torch in mikes pic is a jewellers torch, the micro is just a little thing hardly bigger than your hand. Just google micro torch.

15. krazee

krazee

I've been using a Henrob Dillon since the late seventies, I have tig and mig but for me I get a better job on panel steel with very little distortion. In the beginning I found it quite different to the gas torch I was taught to use but for me the result was better so I kept using it. It is one of the best investments I have ever made.

16. Smith standard duty airline torch works for me. Air frames can get a bit tricky to weld. I've had to get in every position from straight up fixture on the table, to standing on my head with the torch under my right armpit. This torch makes me look better than I probably am.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After seeing Ekimmeirbo's set up I may have to do another upgrade on my torch setup.

I've got Y's with shut off valves on each gauge with one pair of hoses going to my cutting torch and one going to My Victor J28 air craft torch handle. The only real issue with that is remembering to adjust the gauges to do one or the other but I very seldom cut anything with the torch anymore.

I learned to use an aircraft torch in the 70's when working in a Midas muffler shop and the ability to control as you go is sweet.

I still don't get the constant negative comments towards gas welding sheet metal in custom work as apposed to mig or tig I have both mig and tig welders along with my big old stick welder and each has it's place, The main thing I see is that mig seems to be a lot faster when you are putting it all together and tig leaves welds that are closer to the gas welds as far as being workable with hammer and dolly.

alanp561 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. I still do a fair amount of welding with a torch, and I have collected a few torches over the years. In addition to a Dillon MkII (Cobra) torch, I have both large, mostly Victor torches, as well as two aircraft torches.
    I also felt the Dillon was heavy and cumbersome at first, but have learned to like it, (except that the valve adjustment knobs are on the wrong side for me). Now that I am used to welding with it, I have learned to love it. I particularly like using the Dillon for cutting sheet metal, it does a beautiful job.
    The one thing I found to be a disadvantage with the Dillon, is that it is difficult to use where access is a problem. For that I go back to my trusty aircraft torches. They are so light, it is a breeze to weld for quite awhile before feeling any fatigue in the hand. I have a good selection of welding tips for these torches, and although I don't often weld anything larger than 1/8th inch, it is no problem at all welding that thickness with these handy little torches.
    Bob

alanp561 likes this.
  19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The Dillon/Cobra is good for all around stuff (heating, cutting, welding), but for long hours, just welding, the jeweler's torch is much less fatiguing, esp. if you get the small hoses with it.

20. I was going to write about what a difference using the smaller hoses made. It was at least as important as getting a lighter torch.
    If anyone isn't convinced that, for at least using the cutting accessory of the Dillon/Cobra/Henrob torch for cutting sheet metal, they should watch this demonstration video. The other advantage with this type of torch is, that you set your oxy/acety pressures at 4 psi. I love that.

Bob

Here is the link to the demo: