Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Corvette drag racing Tips and tricks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lumpy 63, Oct 6, 2020.

1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Thanks for posting Stephen, The chassis and header pics are very helpfull.

enloe, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. vetrod62

vetrod62

I like the idea of getting away from the water pump mounts, but using the 55 chevy mounts puts the torque radius on a very small circle. Think about Trying to turn the flywheel using a shaft across the crank bolts while the crank shaft has pressure in the cylinders, vs trying to turn the crank using shaft across the clutch mounting bolts. The 55 chevy mounts only had to hold back a 265 or 283's torque, not much. Why do real racers use motor plates? Jim

enloe, Chuck Norton and loudbang like this.
  3. vetrod62

vetrod62

So what is the exact question you have.? BBC engines make big torque and do not rev very high, too much rotating mass. You can make a BBC rev high, but you are talking lots of $$. A SBC will rev to the moon for a lot less and make more HP per cubic inch. But you have put some real very good after market parts in it. Roller cams... solid rollers with big cams will need replacing rollers every so often because of the extreme spring pressures, even if the are HIPPOed.

The SBC is easier to install, the BBC will need headers and custom mounts based on those headers and a hood scoop.

I have 532: in my red car, every thing is custom.

upload_2020-10-19_23-15-40.png

4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Nice stahl headers! I was able to pick up a set for my 57 passenger car last year in a trade. They are bitch’n!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    enloe and loudbang like this.
  5. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Steve your car looks great! I like the headers. Have you had a chance to run it down the track yet? Here is a pic of it finished. I like it
    [​IMG]

6. jimdillon

jimdillon

Steve your car looks great. Looking forward to see how it runs and how it pegs the fun meter. I can appreciate what you did with the front mounts. I understand the points that Jim makes but I am not a fan of the stock cross over mount when it mounts to the water pump. On my big block car, I bought the mounts from Jim that are similar to Steve's in that they mount to the block and the mount towers on the frame.They are pretty nice in my opinion. I was under the impression that they (similar design) were designed by Bill Thomas back in the 60s and I thought I may have an article on them. I want to avoid the stock saddle mount in the future if possible.

What I have wondered is could one of the aftermarket saddle mounts that go under the engine be adapted? It actually would not be overly difficult to fabricate.

C1/C2Guy, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

This thread is awesome.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

“What I have wondered is could one of the aftermarket saddle mounts that go under the engine be adapted? It actually would not be overly difficult to fabricate”.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing. At this point I just don’t know enough of what clears and what doesn’t. Awesome thread you guys.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  9. Hey Gents,
    This may be a bit of thread drift but I figured I'd ask the collective C1 experts.
    What is the distance between the spindle centerline and the #1 sparkplug hole on a stock mounted C1?
    I'm contemplating an aftermarket C1 body and a donor chassis that is off topic.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  10. jimdillon

jimdillon

From my measurement it is right around 8" I believe.

11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@vetrod62 rod,
    I'd like to here more about your 4.25" bore SBC. I have no doubt that it can be done, just wondered how you did it. What block?

12. Deuces

Deuces

Bore centers on a small block is 4.400".... That be pretty tight...

loudbang likes this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

One guy in Miami made his early Vette real fast when he dropped a 427 FORD side oiler in it.
    He came out to Miami-Hollywood and they put him in B/Gas but told him he needed a scoop over the carbs so he cut the end out a pink plastic dish pan and screwed it to the hood. Looked really sporty on his red vette.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  14. Stephen Baxter

Stephen Baxter

Thanks, this has been my dream come through. I have been running it all summer. I have right now, 100 passes down the track. We have another race this weekend. I have had a few bugs to work out. Its been 40 years but its coming back little by little. This is a borrowed motor in it right now. A .030 over 350. The best it has run one night was a 7.04 , 7.08, 7.10 at 97 mph.in the 1/8. On a hot and humid night 7.20. I had one run one night that when 6.84. Has not been in the 6s sense. I don't know what happened? Been getting my reaction times down, me and the vette working on the same page. I lucked up and cut a .0004 light one night and didn't even get the bye run. LOL. If I don't get a stroker motor for next year I am going to freshen this motor up and port and polish the heads. It has some aluminum no name heads on it but nothing has been done to them. I also want to put fuel injection (not a Rochester) and run alcohol. next year. I also would like to hear about boring . In my old hot rod days, I use to work at Lunati Cams and a couple of other machine shops. I put in a lot of sleeves but never heard of anyone boring a smallblock chevy out .250

15. Stephen Baxter

Stephen Baxter

If you mount you battery in the trunk there is not much room under the quarter panels. My fuel cell is 5 or 6 gal.. And not enought room for the battery in the spare tire compartment. I had to cut 2 in. Off the battery box to make it fit. 20190913_090822.jpg 20190913_090842.jpg 20190913_090822.jpg

31hotrodguy, loudbang, enloe and 3 others like this.
  16. vetrod62

vetrod62

and to Gearheadsqce, and Dueces( Yes, that is very tight, and you have to watch out if it is bored too thin, it will over heat,).

Well Stephen, you know one now. It is not for the timid and weak. Do it wrong and $2500 block in the trash. That should be enough of a clue to figure it out. This is going to be fun. My car runs a 3.48" stroke, up that to 3.76" and you have a 427. I built this engine 17 years ago and it is still running strong.

upload_2020-10-20_21-35-33.png

17. vetrod62

vetrod62

I made my own, shaped to fit under the fender. Not easy to change the battery.

upload_2020-10-20_21-57-33.png upload_2020-10-20_21-57-33.png

18. Stephen Baxter

Stephen Baxter

I guess I will just go with a dart block if I want to go big cubes. :D

19. vetrod62

vetrod62

You got it correct. Mine is a Dart Little M. 400 block with 350 mains. Fully machined except for the the final bore. The first one I bought I had sonic checked, I did not like the results, sent it back and the second block looked perfect. I believe Dart now (since 10 years) has a cheaper one, you will have to do more machining yourself. If you get the Little M, block , let me know, there some unique features you should know. Jim

31hotrodguy, loudbang and jimdillon like this.
  20. Stephen Baxter

Stephen Baxter

OK tshanks

21. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Way to go! Sounds like you are having a blast with it! Driving and using it. That's what it's all about IMO:)

31hotrodguy, jimdillon and loudbang like this.
  22. Stephen Baxter

Stephen Baxter

What about front suspension, any tricks. Mine is all stock even the shocks. It hooks up good with 12 inch hoosiers. I will have some kinda small block stroker motor for next year. So I will be making more horse power. Just wondering.

23. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

How much more power? if its working i would not change a thing until needed, it all starts with the front transferring weight to the rear and like you said it hooks up good.
    What is you current combo and 60 ft times?
    jp

loudbang, C1/C2Guy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  24. Stephen Baxter

Stephen Baxter

I am wanting to have around 600 hp or a little more for next year. Right now My 355 is probably about 450 hp. ? My 60 foot is a1.56. and runs low 7s 97 mph in the 1/8. I am wanting a 421 or 427 sb. and want to run fuel injection and run methanol.

31hotrodguy, C1/C2Guy and loudbang like this.
  25. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Stephen sounds like a cool combination.

jp

loudbang, 31hotrodguy and C1/C2Guy like this.
  26. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Hey JP, What transmission are you running in your car? What is your 1/8 mile ET?

27. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

G-force GF5R 5speed 5.90 to 6.20 depending on track and elevation in the 1/8.
    jp

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    C1/C2Guy, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Do you by chance have a underneath pic of the trans in the car?

loudbang likes this.
  29. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

i could get one, is there something your after? its fits in the stock tunnel.
    jp

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  30. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That and the trans cross member.

loudbang likes this.