Register now to get rid of these ads!

3spd column shift in '80s Chevy truck...How long were these available?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I was at the junk yard today and always keep an eye out for manual transmissions in Chevy and GMC trucks, hoping to find another 4spd OD.
    Engine bay side, I noticed two shift levers at the bottom of the steering column at the firewall. Looking inside, there were three pedals and a column shifter. The truck was a mid-to-late '80s Chevy.

How long was a 3spd available in a Chevy truck?
    Is it safe to assume it's a full-synchro transmission?

What make is the trans (most likely). And for the big question, what are the chances an early Borg Warner OD unit will bolt on in place of the tail shaft housing?

-Brad

2. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

I know in 87 a buddy of mine had a Cheyenne edition C-10 longbed and it was 3 on the tree....that must have been last year because I have never seen the billions and billions of 88-98 models have one...

3. squirrel

squirrel

87 truck shop manual (new acquisition with our free 87 suburban) shows the 76mm Muncie 3 speed manual trans, used with both the floor shifter and the column shift. The Mopar od was also still available.

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Yeah, the Mopar was available until '87 (or '88...found references to both). But to my knowledge, there's never been a 4 speed column shift. (I couldn't crawl under the truck)

-Brad

5. squirrel

squirrel

I think the only 4 speed column shifts that were at all common were on Japanese cars for domestic use (not export).

Yeah, if it's column shift in a Chevy truck, it would be the 3 speed, not the mopar OD. I just mentioned that it was available because I know you have the jones for them.

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

:)
    that's why I always look in those trucks!

7. I have a 3spd you can use for trial fit if you want to try it out.

8. Three on the tree starting drivetrain restoration just found the 12 bolt limited slip rear diff gasket drain it refill it with additive new drive shafts and center retainer broke the 5 tranny bolts loose this morning! what a B!$@^!