Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Full time car builder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bill gruendeman, Oct 30, 2020.

1. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

i retired today after driving truck for a living for 41 years(60 hours a week).Family came first, work came second, honey do list next and with all the timeI had left cars came a last. So with the kids out of the house and being retired, can I be called a full time hot rod builder?

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Congrats on your retirement, now get to work on those cars !

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Congrats! I hope to do the same thing next year! 35 years now for me in a truck....

4. Now that you are retired you will learn the harsh reality of getting less done than before you retired, no you will be doing all the stuff you put off all those years.

BTW, Congratulations on your retirement, I hope you enjoy many years of doing as you please. HRP

loudbang, Mr48chev, 5window and 9 others like this.

5. catdad49

catdad49

Danny, now the "honey-do" list will become a harsh reality!

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You can if you do it at least 40 hrs. a week! LOL

7. Budget36

Budget36

Double those hours. Lol

8. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

You know the drill trying to get things done on the weekends, 35 years is long enough

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Thanks Danny, I fear you are right about getting less done

loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Oh yeah. That's why I never seem to get anything done. No time, weather isn't right, you know the drill. I was recently off 3 weeks while the truck was in the shop, still didn't do much to the car, but got caught up on a lot of other things around here that I had let go.

loudbang and bill gruendeman like this.
  11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know how I had the time to get anything done while I was still working. Been retired for 5 years and I still can't get anything done...but I'm a hell of a lot happier. :D
    Congrats on retirement :cool:

12. Congratulations on your retirement! I retired from truck driving 2 1/2 years ago after 50 years and I don't miss it one little bit.
    I guess that you can call yourself anything that you want but don't expect it to be the same thing that your wife is going to call you!

13. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Wow 50 years. I still like driving but it is time to play. Maybe I will call myself a full time honey doer

14. My dad retired at 50 he’s 73 now busiest guy I know !!!!

Good for you for doing it, like my dad says “ one day at a time, it’ll get done when it gets done !”

15. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

You’ll be amazed at how many things you will find that need doing that always got put off in the past. Also, great to actually read the paper (maybe not some days) instead of just skimming.
    Have fun & enjoy!

16. Trust me you will be busier now than at any time when you were working "part time.";)

17. Congratulations, you can be a part time builder. The other part of the time is spent on house or whatever.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

18. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Had to go back working, still busy but at least I’m getting paid for some of the work

bill gruendeman and loudbang like this.
  19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Full time living, that’s how I see it

20. gene-koning

gene-koning

Congrats on your retirement!
    It may sound funny, but I suggest you and the wife set up a schedule. Here is what we started with.

3 days are Shop Days, preferably back to back. Those are the days you will be working in the garage on the hot rod, and nothing else, unless its an emergency (someone had better had died or been seriously injured, or something broke that you have to have). If you get anything done on Shop Days or not, it doesn't matter, progress is on you.

2 days (after a month that dropped to one day and the other day turned into a whatever day) are Honey Do List Days. She needs to have the stuff you need rounded up, or those Honey Do Days are spent chasing down the stuff you need for next week.

1 day is "Her Day". Yep, suck as it might, you spend it with her doing something she likes or wants to do. If it turns into a Honey Do Day, she looses one of those two days next week.

1 day is "Your Day". That's the day you go visit a friend, chase after parts, or sit in the easy chair and watch TV or read the paper.

On either her day, or your day, plan on getting away from your house at least for a few hours. Everybody needs to get away from the house for a while.

How ever you set up your schedule, be sure you follow it for the 1st couple of months, after that it will probably flow more smoothly without the tight refrains.

My wife was really grateful when I actually did things on the Honey Do List for a day or two every week. The Her Day and My Day often turn into a weekend trip someplace. 3 days in the shop can get a lot of stuff done. Gene

21. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

That is great advice, man 3 days a week in the garage would be cool considering I get maybe 3 part days a month now. I have outside work to get done before winter sets in, but than I will try your schedule. Gene, I hope to thank you in person next year at the Wisconsin 100

loudbang likes this.
  22. railcarmover

railcarmover

40 year mechanic,building stash for when I pull the plug in two years..you could say I'm institutionalized :) thumbnail - 2020-10-03T071627.303.jpg

23. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I get up in the morning with nothing to do. Then I go to bed at night and I didn't get everything done. Lol

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Enjoy it you deserve it.
    I retired in April this year and I have yet to be bored.
    Always something to do and life is good.
    I’ve been telling myself I need a schedule but so far we’re just winging it.
    My wife actually likes my company so that is a bonus.
    We built a new storage shed behind the garage this summer and just enjoyed my first summer with my hot rod on the road.

Now that winter is approaching I have some improvements under way to the RPU and I’ll work towards finishing the interior.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  25. 5window

5window

Congratulations on your retirement. I'm functionally retired-too old/high risk to go into the office part time these days. You'll get a ton done-but it takes longer, and you'll find "projects" that should have been done years ago-I just cut down a drawer in the kitchen that has been jamming for 32 years/ I think the idea of a schedule is a good one. Get up, get dressed and shaved and make a list for the day. Or, more likely, get yesterday's list and re-copy all the stuff you didn't do then. Most of all, enjoy yourself.

26. I first retired in 2011 after selling my truck but I guess that I wasn't ready, I returned to driving a year and a half later for a major company. I worked another 5 years for them. I had promised myself that I wasn't going to still be driving after the age of 70, I retired 5 months before my 70th! My CDL expired on my 70th and I didn't renew it, I once again had a regular drivers license after 50 years! I don't miss it a bit! Good luck with yours...

27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’m beginning my 13th year of retirement tomorrow, still wonder how I ever had time to work. Congrats on joining those who celebrate “six Saturday’s and a Sunday” every 7 days now.;):D

28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

And use an actual paper desk calendar to keep track of the days. I retired this summer also and we needed the structure to keep those type of days flowing. Of course our social calendar (drs appointments), shop time, household projects, etc. can be forgotten too easily. Having it on paper and checking both tonight and tomorrow morning eliminates misunderstandings. After 40+ years of marriage this stops arguements... most of the time. Just don't go to bed mad at each other.

29. Ditto HOTRODPRIMER and hotrodjack33.

30. -Brent-

-Brent-

You can be whatever you want to be, now! You earned it!