Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Opinion on main bearing wear ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wonka68, Oct 25, 2020.

1. wonka68

wonka68

Here is the cadillac way but damn thats pricey . This is what the builder told me he uses. If I did it for a living, I would definitely want one.
    I'll take your advise and build a tool from something. crow foot style

https://goodson.com/products/vsp-323-valve-seal-puller?variant=33471331270

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to find a buddy, or a friend of a buddy, with a lathe or a mill. Would not take that much to make something along the lines of that Cadillac tool. Or just bit the bullet and buy the tool. It's cheaper that head gaskets, and then you'll have it. Sounds like you have a few engines that you'd find use for it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Why do you need to remove the valve seals ?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. wonka68

wonka68

Just seems stupid not to while im changing all the valve springs. I bought a bag of 50 wholesale for $18.
    Seemed like a no brainer

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. wonka68

wonka68

I have a friend that has a next door neighbor and in his neighbors garage are 2 lathes and 2 Bridgeport mills. Hes a retired machinist. BUT he is so busy working on guns there is no way he has time to do anything other than that. A local gun shop is sending him ALL of their work and he's covered up..

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

Can you put a pic up of your seals? I’ve done quite a few of the newer (80’s-up) seals and never needed anything special to get them off. Biggest issue is the install.
    I’ll try to put a pic up here what I’m talking about.

Attached Files:

7. wonka68

wonka68

I'll post some pics tonight if I get out there. the guides are knurled and the seals have no rubber on the inside of them where they go down on the guide. they are solid metal inside so its an interference fit. they dont just pop off. those bastards are on there and the guides are doing a great job of holding them.

8. Budget36

Budget36

Ok, so they are different than what I have I guess

9. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Metal clad "chimney" type performance valve seal. Made so they will fit even inside a triple valve spring.

10. wonka68

wonka68

Correct ! Im running double springs with a damper.. they damn sure dont come off easy

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve dealt with those seals before, you can get them off with a home made fork or a pair of vise grips and a screw driver. Just clamp the vise grips on them up high. The secret is, you care about the old seals! So rip them off. If I remember correctly they need a special tool to install! They have to go on straight and are easily cocked to one side if not done properly. But it has been a few years and a couple of beers! Lol

Bones

13. railcarmover

railcarmover

The hydrodynamic principle is clear, .001 bearing oil clearance per inch of journal diameter. Got a 10" ship screw shaft with babbit bearings? clearance .010..got an automotive engine crankshaft journal diameter of 2 inch using precision insert bearings? .002 is your oil clearance.

Those who deviate from this hard and fast principle suffer the consequences..especially the yoyo who claims he 'sets racing engines loose' then proceeds to set your street driven engine bearing clearances at twice the rule.

Algoma56 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  14. wonka68

wonka68

Funny you mention that as I was looking at that exact tool on ebay trying to figure out if it would work. it may be able to be modified to work.

15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Going back to your original question, here is some very good info.
    Clearances 1 001.jpg
    Clearances 2 001.jpg
    Clearances 3 001.jpg
    Clearances 4 001.jpg
    Clearances 5 001.jpg
    Clearances 6 001.jpg

Budget36 and Tickety Boo like this.
  16. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

If you are puting the same style of seal back on....they need a specific driver to put them on with, much like the older Perfect Circle(PC) teflon seals do.
    Get them on there tipped a little and they will not last long at all.

17. wonka68

wonka68

Ok, after a hurt back and being sick, I finally have all the bearings in and the caps torqued and the shark tooth oil pump in. I can post all the bearing shells if anyone wants to see them, but there was little wear in the middle journals ( 2,3,4 ) and really nothing on the rear. I have a BIG problem with the belt drive crank gear that I need suggestions for. I guess I should start a new thread for it ? If I dont get this damn comp belt drive gear off and the seal leaks, the motor will be scrap as I see NO WAY to get it off under the circumstances. I have the seals in hand and I really dont want to put the motor back in and find out its leaking. I suspect someone knows some voodoo trick.....