Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bill MaGrath - Early Ford Store - RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete Eastwood, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Really sad news , Bill MaGrath , Owner / Operator of the Early Ford Store in San Dimas Ca. pass away suddenly , last night .
    I'm sure many of you know of Bill & his incredible knowledge & passion for all things Ford V8. He was one of a kind & will be greatly missed .
    early ford store.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

He will be greatly missed, a true inspiration to the hobby..

Stogy, loudbang, Lil32 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

He was an amazing source of information, sorry to hear of his passing . R.I.P.

Stogy, Hamtown Al, fegsta and 2 others like this.
  4. Lil32

Lil32

Bill R.I.P.
    nice to have met you
    Prayers to Family

DSCN3593.JPG

tractorguy, Stogy, alfin32 and 5 others like this.

5. Whoa! Bill was one of my favorite people, always great to talk to.
    His knowledge of early Ford stuff was phenomenal.
    Condolences to Mike and the rest of Bill's family.

Mick

Stogy, hidez57, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  6. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

What a loss...RIP and my condolences to his friends and family.

Stogy, Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  7. R.I.P. Bill.
    Al.

Stogy, Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

WOW 2020 has been a very rough year. Condolences to Mike and the rest of Bill's family. :(

9. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I am shocked and deeply saddened.Did many many deals with him in the 25 yrs that I knew him.Seemed in good spirits when I spoke with him last week. Certainly hope his son Michael will continue the legacy. Lost a great friend.RIP

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  10. rust&patina

rust&patina

Condolences to Bill's family . . . R I P . . .

Stogy, Lil32 and fegsta like this.
  11. fegsta

fegsta

Rip Bill. Found the store by mistake when over for the gnrs 2019. What a treasure trove. It

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  12. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

First Met Bill when he was working with Butch Lynch at CW Moss in 1989.
    Great guys.Now both gone
    RIP

Stogy, Lil32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. slug

slug

How sad. I always enjoyed talking with Bill when I was out for the GNRS. We had a long talk about his Vic this past Jan. Condolences to Mike and the family. John

15. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Very sad to hear and one of the coolest places I ever visited . Our prayers are with Bill and his family .

Stogy, Lil32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I hope the store survives, it was one of my favorite toy stores.
    Just walk around and stare and dream,,,,,

17. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

I'm truly saddened to hear Bill McGrath is gone, & my heart goes out to his son & daughter as well as his other family & friends that I'm sure are feeling the weight of this loss. I consider myself fortunate to have known him not just as a fellow enthusiast or purveyor of early Ford V8 parts, but as a person. He was a protégé of Harold Looney of Orange, CA (owner of Vintique Reproductions which Harold's son Chad now operates & previously C.W. Moss, who also left us a couple of years ago) & became the equivalent what folks like Gene Scott, Harold & Lynn Williams were to early Ford V8'ers a few decades ago: Individuals with vast knowledge of these vehicles as well as a mass collection of used/NOS parts & sheet metal for them. Though I knew who Bill McGrath was through Butch Lynch (who worked w/Bill for Harold Looney years ago in the late 1980's), seeing him with Harold at the Modesto Model A Ford club's swap meet in Turlock, CA, early Tromper's swap meets in Pasadena & at Pomona, I eventually got to know Bill over the years, first as customer digging through the bins at C.W. Moss in Orange, CA (which he later took over from Harold to start his own NOS/used early Ford V8 & Mercury parts business, ultimately moving to San Dimas, CA). My brother & I casually horse-traded mostly 1946-48 Ford pass. car parts with Bill in the nearly 20 years since, & I'll miss our back and forth friendly negotiating we'd do at the swap meets when we might of had something he wanted to buy to re-stock his parts store. Nobody beat the pavement harder than Bill did, scouring the swap meets aisle by aisle, swap space by swap space & then again to locate & acquire parts for the rest of us to just drive to his store & pick up off his store shelves like a can of soup at a grocery store. Some would grumble about the prices to me directly & I would always remind them they were overlooking the service & value Bill was providing us all by saving the time of scrounging swap meets (or scanning the internet) to find the correct part & in good used of NOS condition. On an enthusiast level our hobby has lost a invaluable, deep well of early Ford V8 knowledge but left a great legacy and tribute to his efforts and accomplishments in the form of the Early Ford Store of San Dimas that he built from the ground up with his own hard work & ambition (which hopefully his children can continue to carry on in honor of their father). Bill was a kind, helpful, easy going soul but by the same token nobody's fool. Like Harold Looney before him, Bill McGrath will always have my respect as a person, a fellow enthusiast to look up to & great colleague. I will truly miss seeing him at the San Dimas store & future swap meets driving around in his reliable 1968-9 green colored Chevy long bed 3/4 ton truck to come by & pick up parts he had left in my swap space purchased earlier in the day, or throttling around late Sunday afternoon at the L.A. Roadster show swap meet in his uncorked, flatty powered '32 3W hiboy coupe with a cold brew in his lap. Godspeed Bill; Rest in Peace.....

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  18. Magfiend

Magfiend

So sorry to hear this - my condolences to his family and friends.

Steve

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Is this the business I saw featured on a tv show where the owner had a whole bunch of warehouses just filled to brim with old parts of all sorts that he had bought over the years ?

Apparently what he had and where it was (location) he kept mostly in his head.

Lil32 likes this.
  20. Condolences to his family. Sad to see that this A M . I have purchased parts from him personally in the past. He will be missed by all.

21. So bummed out when i saw this on IG, last night. I just took my buddy a couple weeks ago, to experience the store. He was amazed! I've known Bill for many many years. We wheeled and dealed over many parts and car finds. I'll miss the BBQ's at his shop, and the phone calls, late at night..."Bob, you gotta see what I picked up today!". You might have thought his place was messy, but he knew where everything was, just like Papke. RIP my Ford friend......

Muttley, Blues4U, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Very nice words

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

fegsta, Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I've been going to his shop on and off for years and sold him a few things at the swap meets. I'm going to miss him. Condolences to his family. RIP!

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Lil32 like this.
  24. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Very sad news.

25. Sad News....RIP Bill...

26. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Dam another great guy is gone. On our annual visit to California the Early Ford Store was always one of the first stops to visit. Bill always took the time to talk with us and catch up on what everyone was up to he was truly a great guy with an amazing passion and knowledge of all things old Ford. The hits this year just keep on coming so sad! :(

27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Always a Thursday stop the week of the LARS. Over the years he answered many of my questions. He'll be missed.

28. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Wow R. I.P. Pre48 comments above ring a bell for me. Especially since loosing his dad so recently.

29. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad news.
    Love the Early Ford Store.

Chris