Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheap ass 34 pick up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, May 31, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have continued to do bodywork while the glue and paint dried.

Stogy, loudbang and Tim like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks good... and probably makes you happy to be back on the car project lol

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I bought one of those at a garage sale for $10 like 10 years ago when I bought my first house. It has the nicest fence of any saw I've used. I used it to help renovate my first house and though I've since acquired a newer, job site model, I still use the Delta. Great saw.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Keeps the wife happy, which lets me get away with all sorts of automotive foolishness

Tim, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Sanding and priming, sanding and priming some more..... IMG_0010.jpg

6. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fingers bleeding much?

loudbang likes this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@Jethro this hood is so old the louvers are almost polished smooth. There are no sharp edges left.

Old-Ford-Iron, Tim and loudbang like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sharp edges can hurt you and slow you down. Looks good!

loudbang likes this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0013.jpg
    There will be no macrame! There will be no tidily winks! But there will be sanding and more sanding! ( in my best John Clease voice)

I also got the cab squared up and the doors fitting correctly.

10. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I hadn’t seen this thread since about 2016. Read a bunch of it tonight. Great thread, great approach and a great truck!

bchctybob, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Well thanks @razoo lew . It's kinda a bunch of haggard and beat up old parts. I have used the best out of what I can scrounge up without spending a ton of cash. Good friends and lots of shopping!

Cyclone Kevin and loudbang like this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sanding is another thing I don't do well. I keep sanding the little bits of filler back out of the low spots and have to do it all again. This is really coming together and looking tough!

loudbang and dumprat like this.
  13. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Phew! Just spent most of today reading through this adventure (don't tell my boss). What a cool truck, proof that "Where there's a will there's a way". Nice work, Matt. Hope you can get out on the road and fully enjoy the fruits of your labor(s) soon!

dumprat and loudbang like this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Looking to have it on the road in the spring. Right now I am just looking forward to having it painted.

15. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve read through the whole thread, very cool, but I don’t remember, what did you use for rear springs and brackets and stuff? I saw the shackle peeking out from behind the tire in the picture above, it looks real good.
    I feel your pain with the sanding and painting, I’m doing my roadster frame and my Morris minor woody right now.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@bchctybob the rear springs are front springs from a 48 F1 truck. I just used 3 leaves and made m own brackets.

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Went on a bit of a goose chase today. Marketplace add for old car parts with no prices showed a pic of some F1 wheel trim rings "beauty rings" with no prices.
    Drove two hours to look and found a family cleaning up the grandfathers packed one car garage. Turns out the old boy is on his way to the old mans home, looked to be mid to late 90's. Had a T roadster, an A phaeton and a 37 Chrysler. I had a great chat with him and got a chance to help the family sort out the pile of parts, come up with some prices and list some other stuff for sale. All the proceeds were going as a donation to charity. I gave them a donation that they were happy with, helped id a bunch of rare parts and help out a couple of the other guys who were there get some stuff to move projects forward.

Like I said the thread by @Tim this is about the people you meet and the stories behind the parts.

I polished one of the rings up quickly and I thinks it's really going to look great!

IMG_0016.jpg IMG_0020.jpg

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Makes me wonder if the folks going through my stuff will know what it is if I'm gone or don't remember. :D

Big mike 1968, Stogy, Outback and 3 others like this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@Six Ball i would recommend making sure your kids know what it is, never tell the wife what it's worth though.....lol

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think my wife has an auctioneer on her speed dial. o_O My boys were both here yesterday to deer hunt. They know what most of it is but neither one has room fo it. Some is theirs anyway, stuff they left when they flew the nest. :D

21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ha! I told my wife if I die don't sell anything for what I paid for it and if you divorce me you will have to prove what it's worth. It keeps her guessing.

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I really really hate sanding. It needs a coat of high build and 40 hours. It ain't getting it. Going to wet sand the runs out of the primer, wash it with hot soapy water and brush the bitch!
    It's getting to cold to paint. IMG_0023.jpg

23. I feel you there.. Spent the afternoon blocking the primer on mine today..

Truck is LOOKING GOOD dont cut corners now you will regret it and have to do it over again..

kidcampbell71, Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Can we pretty please see this pic with at least the one hood top on?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Loving that nerd bar

That’s a typo but it’s funny so I’m leaving it

Stogy, Gnater, brEad and 4 others like this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Yes that keeps coming up! I think it s hilarious. I got a 3-1/2" driving light that is the same as the king bee headlights that I am going to add to the top of the nerd bar.

And Yes Wyatt I will post a hood pic very soon.

Stogy, brEad, Tim and 4 others like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Nah, I think he was dissing you. :D It all looks really good no matter what you call it, "What's in a name?":rolleyes:

28. Cool build. I just found this and read the whole thing. Was a bit surprised at the motor swap in the middle.
    Is that a euphemism or are you talking about her car?

Stogy, loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  29. Also props for getting your son to help you roll panels.
    Tell your daughter her table is really cool.

loudbang, dumprat and Six Ball like this.
  30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0026.jpg Anybody who says hand sanding and brush painting a car is the quick easy way out has clearly never tried it! Paint day tomorrow! Should get most of it done, then another half day or so for touch ups and finishing hoods and tailgate once they are mounted.