Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48-52 Ford F1 Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joshs Customs, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Joshs Customs

Joshs Customs

Thanks, That will make a lot easier to set it up. Weather its an official "Gasser" or not, I don't care and, I'm not worried. I rather be building in my garage then being a key board skeptic.

2. Joshs Customs

Joshs Customs

Per Wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasser_(car)

A gasser is a type of hot rod originating on the dragstrips of the United States in the late 1950s and continued until the early 1970s.[1][2] In the days before Pro Stock, the A/Gas cars were the fastest stock-appearing racers around.[3]

Gassers are based on closed body production models from the 1930s to mid-1960s, which have been stripped of extraneous weight and jacked up using a beam axle or tubular axle to provide better weight distribution on acceleration (beam axles are also lighter than an independent front suspension), though a raised stock front suspension is common as well. Common weight reduction techniques include fiberglass body panels, stripped interiors, and Plexiglas windows (sometimes color tinted).

And this continues on. I'm not going to post it all here. The link is above, you can read for yourself.

Primered Forever and Jibs like this.
  3. earlymopar

earlymopar

4. ^^ And once again a modern build that has nothing to do with what gas class cars were, and are. SMH

badshifter and Nitroholic like this.
  5. 8flat

8flat

Last month I was looking into the option of better heads for mine, I have a set of 781 oval port heads that I was going to use. I read that you need to block off a small water jacket to use these gen4 heads on a gen5 block. FelPro makes a special gasket for doing just that. Then I talked to a machinist about it, he told me they have not had good luck with this option, sometimes they leak, and in a few places there isn't as much deck surface-to-head area to give a good seal for the head gasket. He said I'd be light years ahead by simply buying good aluminum heads that are made for our gen5 block. A little pricey, but worth it. Food for thought. I've read where some other guys have said it worked fine for them though.

6. 8flat

8flat

So I'm honestly trying to understand your argument here. Pickups should not be built as a gasser? Or they can, but only if they're willys pickups since that is what was the most common truck in the time period? Or that we shouldn't use the term gasser as a name for a style?

moparboy440 likes this.
  7. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Pickups made great gassers and not all were Willys!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

slayer and 8flat like this.
  8. badshifter

badshifter

Now a B/FX truck is a gasser?
    Rules must be different in Finland.

9. RmK57

RmK57

In this watered down world of gassers it's close enough. It has a straight axle don't it?

10. badshifter

badshifter

Everything you guys are building is great. For you. But they aren’t Gassers.

You are on the HAMB, a website dedicated to preserving and embracing Hot Rod and Custom history from a very specific time period. Rewriting history by calling everything a Gasser is not the end of the world, but it dilutes history and truth. Important to some of us.

Post away and say what you want. But the truth is you are building “Gasser Inspired” “Street Freak Inspired” “Things you think are cool inspired” “Drag Race Inspired”.

It’s semantics and I think it’s important.

I wasn’t rude, and I didn’t knock the OPs project. Nor did I say trucks can’t be gassers.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    X38 likes this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yankton? My avatar came from Hudson

12. Yes.

13. earlymopar

earlymopar

That was my fault given that I accidently dropped the picture in question into the wrong thread.