Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gassers 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by southcross2631, Oct 28, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Stupid thing. I am doing something wrong . Can somebody educate me on sending photos from mmy phone to an existing thread and not start a new one .

loudbang likes this.
  3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Just press the three dots in top right corner. Select Reply
    Click Photos, Files
    Select the picture from the gallery on your phone, press send until all pics are uploaded
    Press reply

Thats how It works with my phone w Hamb app 20201028_174636.jpeg

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

thanks. i will try it today.

loudbang likes this.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

6. 6sally6

6sally6

Hot-damn I think ya got sump'in there!!
    Look out asphalt!!
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Isn't that kinda like what the Mopar guys do for a pinion snubber?
    Looks good to me, let us know how it works.
    KK

Thor1, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You may have one and it doesn’t show in the pic, but I’d run a brace from the top of the snubber bracket back to a couple of the bolts that hold the chunk in. It looks like from the pic that when it rolls upward in front that it could possibly bend the snubber bracket down toward the front.

If you have it braced that way, ignore my post.....

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

I would put a support of some kind from the third member bolts or top of the housing to the upper portion of the gussets on each side. A strap or preferably a tube on each side. Maybe straight down to a bracket bolted onto the bottom two pinion carrier bolts? At the hit the three 3/8" pinion carrier bolts are trying to support the weight of the back half of the car and shock loads as well. As violent as things get under there it couldn't hurt to spread the load.

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. bchctybob

bchctybob

Funny, Bamamav and I were seeing the same thing. The Mopars actually bolt to a four bolt pad on top of the third member casting if I remember correctly. As opposed to the cantilevered method.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  12. greybeard360

greybeard360

I still don't think that is a good way to go. Pinions on a 9" are prone to spitting themselves out the front of the housing on their own let alone putting a lot more force on it along with my previous mention about the wrong type of setup with the springs you have. I would scrap the snubber and put something else on it that is legal.

13. RmK57

RmK57

It would work better if it was the opposite way around. Place the piece bolted to the pinion support on top and the snubber on the bottom. Much less leverage on the Daytona support. Some of the later 60's Mustangs' and Torino's had them and they worked fine.

loudbang likes this.
  14. 6sally6

6sally6

images.jpg
    This^^^^^^^^^ would prolly be THE ANSWER to traction and breaking crap. Build a set of these and loosen the U-bolts so the axle can rotate (or a full floating axle set-up) Should plant those rears pretty good.
    Worked pretty good back-in-the-day(60's)
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  15. Callmaker

Callmaker

Yes, its gonna break again. But i hope not.

loudbang likes this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

The front half of thee springs are about solid with a piece of 1/4 inch steel clamped to the spring.
    Good idea adding a strap back to the housing to help support the aftermarket carrier and pinion support that are in the car. I have until next Friday to get those built.
    It is always a good thing to have another set of eyes on a project.
    As I said earlier I have a set of Crites bars ,but I am trying to avoid the 100 lb. weight penalty that comes along with them. I could just bolt on a set of slapper bars a lot easier and it has the same weight penalty .
    I am already adding almost 200 lbs in added weight just to make the weight that is required for my cubic inch motor.
    There are only 2 races left in the season so I will add the straps to the snubber and see if it works.
    The Crites bars require that I cut off the leaf spring saddles that I just put on and fab up a crossmember . Then put floaters on the housing that I need to check with the SEGA tech guy to see if floaters are even legal.
    My off season plan is to try and assemble a small cube FE based off a 352 . I can run a 365 inch FE
    and be at 3111 lbs with aluminum heads and 2x4 intake. Then add the Crites bars and be at the same weight I am now. The rules are 9.5 lbs per cube with a small block and 8.25 labs per cube with an FE.
    I remember some 64 full size Fords running some low numbers with a 352 in super stock. Still running the stock intake ,iron heads and the little Ford 4 barrel carb. Turning them almost 8 grand with stock rods. Weighing 3700 lbs.
    Imagine what that combo would run with high compression . CNC ported aluminum heads, a 2x4 intake and 2 660 Holley carbs with a big solid roller cam. Weighing less than 3300 lbs.

chryslerfan55, Thor1, brEad and 6 others like this.
  17. tpw35

tpw35

I have a crank that you may be interested in, it is a steel 361 FT crank that has had a lot of work done to it, it is lightened, it has been machined to fit in a FE block and it has been balanced, I was going to use it in my car but I went in another direction, Ill be at the next race if you are interested in talking about it.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Will you be at shadyside ? We will be there.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  19. 6sally6

6sally6

A home-brew/shade-tree answer to the floater would be to loosen the U-bolts to allow the axle to rotate on acceleration......but the bars would need to be welded to the housing to allow them to lift the front while planting the rear. Would need some jamb nuts on the U-bolts to prevent them from backing off and letting the U-bolts get too loose..........just spitball'in & what if'n.....
    With the 1/4" flat bar clamped to the FRONT of the spring....what about the spring pack BEHIND the axle? Mono leaf? Don't want much on the back side.........It lets the back squat and the front part of the spring to lift.
    (I know I ain't telling you nuth'in you don't already know!)
    I'm gonna try to make it to Shady Side if I can beat this cough!!!!:eek::eek:
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

When I built the spring pack I moved all of the leafs forward to the spring eye. Then I drilled a new centering hole and bolted the pack back together . The rear of the pack has 2 leafs that are not clamped together so they can spread .
    The front is short and stiff and clamped. The pinion snubber is set at about 1/2 inch at rest the full weight on the springs. I built a strap out of 1/4 inch plate bolted to the housing bolts and welded to the pinion snubber. There is a slight preload on the strap when I tighten up the carrier bolts. Maybe a 1/16th of an inch.
    I will try and get a picture of it today.
    I got my driveshaft back in the car yesterday . Thanks again to Summit for the fast service.
    Changed the oil last night and good news. No metal in the oil or in the filter when I cut it apart .
    Going with Lucas 15-40 for the older diesel engines also recommended heavy duty gas engine uses.

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

39 degrees here this morning probably won't warm up enough to shoot primer until after it's time to go to work this afternoon. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.
    Got the hood ready for primer yesterday. Trying to get as much in primer so it doesn't look so ugly.
    Speed Sport TV will be at Shadyside filming for a Mav Tv episode. Hope to go far enough to see the old wagon on TV. That would be cool.

Thor1, loudbang, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my collector extensions made this morning before work. Finished up checking the car over.
    So tomorrow afternoon after I get off work . I may have to go make a test pass.
    Supposed to be nice and warm so I can get the hood primed.
    I got a 100 lb. tractor counter weight so I will have a 40 lb. cushion to compensate for fuel burn off.

23. glrbird

glrbird

Hope things go as planed, good luck.

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

I did get the hood primed despite it being very windy. Not going to get a test hit today.

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Why are you not posting on your original thread Mike?

loudbang likes this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Because when my camera took a dump I set up the app on my phone and it started a new thread and I am too electronically challenged to know which one I am posting to or how to combine them.
    When you pull them up on my phone they look identical and so I have to guess which one I am posting to.
    I thought I had it figured out , but nope. Sorry for the confusion.
    I need to get one of my 17 grand kids to help me figure this out. Or even one of my great grand kids.
    Just found out that we are getting another great grand baby next April. That will make 7.

28. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

A common thing back in the day was to use the Super Stock spring pack and replace the main leaf with cars main leaf. There were many GM cars done that way. All Super Stock springs have a 20 inch front segment.

oldiron 440, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  29. tpw35

tpw35

Yes we will. Ill bring it with me.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe a PM to a mod would get all your posts consolidated on one and then they could delete the one no longer in use?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 48fordnut like this.