Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Storing Ride in a Trailer Tips?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Arch177, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Arch177

Arch177
    from Central NJ

Hello, folks. I'm storing my '51 Chevy Styleline Deluxe in an enclosed 20' trailer until Spring.

Any tips? I've found conflicting info. My main concern, being in the northeast, is condensation and rust.

The car's covered w/ a high quality cover.

Thank you!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Don't trap moisture under the cover, if possible run a small fan under the car for air movement.

Stick steel wool in exhaust pipe(s) and dryer sheets in the car to keep mice out (not sure this actually works, but it's what I do and the car smells real purty in the spring :D).

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If its in a trailer and your trailer doesnt leak, I wouldnt bother covering it.
    Some sort of fan/dessicant can inside to keep the humidity down and air flowing.
    Theres all sorts of solar powered options, none are that amazing but if you just had a little air moving while the sun shines that would help. windows up, make the dang mice work at it to get in and eat your nice smelling dryer sheets

4. Just make sure the trailer is where you can keep a eye on it, a Hamber lost his trailer & car stored at his shop a few years ago, never found ether one of them. HRP

mgtstumpy, chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moisture control is a must. Warmish days and cold nights will create moisture, especially if the trailer is not insulated. If your trailer doesn't have any vents, I would install a few in the sidewalls. I would not use the cover. Dryer sheets in the car and under the hood. Some rodent baits in the trailer. A good padlock on the tounge latch.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Covers are the worst thing you can do, in almost any climate.

kevinrevin and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No cover-dessicant canisters and a 60 watt light bulb if close enough to power

8. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

If you have access to electricity I would run a dehumidifier. I live in the south and humidity is brutal. I run a dehumidifier in my shop approximately 20 x 20 foot 24/7. Humidity is typically 40 percent according to cheap thermometer/humidity gauge I use. Tools don’t rust, no mold on anything, and always smells fresh. I also never have spiders, been told spiders won’t live where it’s so dry. I run the discharge hose through the wall so never any tanks to empty. I’m sure dehumidifier would help in a trailer.

chryslerfan55 and seb fontana like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Good point. Take the wheels off, lower it on stands. Get pattern plates for the studs and use locking wheel nuts to hold them in place. Put a hitch lock on it.
    Make the bastards work hard to get it.

10. spanners

spanners

Also by taking the wheels off and putting on stands you don't have the weight sitting on the springs all winter provided the stands are under the trailer frame.

11. cfmvw

cfmvw

Leave the windows cracked open for a bit of ventilation/air circulation so it doesn't stay damp inside. My son put his car in a storage unit and left all the windows up for several months; had a lot of mold inside when he finally went to get it out.

chryslerfan55 and olscrounger like this.
  12. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Trailers are big targets for thieves these days. I bought one of those boots like they use for parking lot enforcement for my trailer and use it even at home. Then I run a chain through the wheels on the other side with a good lock. One of my friends with a nice enclosed trailer had his business name painted on the top in huge letters so it's easy to spot from the skies if stolen.

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. blazedogs

blazedogs

Storing your vehicle in a trailer is a bad idea Makes it easier for the thieves Issue here in Mn

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been thinking about this for mine
    upload_2020-10-28_12-16-7.png

15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some (many) years back I used to trailer motorcycles in an enclosed trailer. Then I used to park the white trailer around the many, many Harley Davidson orange and black trailers. Never had a problem.

I did think after a lot of beer one day that I should have painted "Larry's Rattlesnake Breeding" with a couple of stay back warnings on it.

16. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I agree with pirate. A "dehumidifier" is a must. I have stored in a trailer without one and learned that lesson!

seb fontana likes this.
  17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’ve heard Irish Spring soap bars have replaced the dryer sheets.;):D

MMM1693 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I tried Irish Spring in my shop.... Damn rats ate it.... Tough little buggers...

LynnW

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That and a hitch lock are probably the best anti theft setups for a trailer you can find. Unless you also have some of those old key lock wheel locks to put on one stud on some of the hubs.
    I've got one of these hitch locks on my car trailer. https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-UMAX1...d=1603942286&sprefix=Trailer+,aps,279&sr=8-14 That bugger is stout and no amount of beating on it with a hammer is going to bother it.

Wife tried the Irish spring thing and the mice ate most of it. Cabinet smelled like minty mouse shit.

There are plenty of boat dehumidifier products around that you can buy pretty reasonable at marine supplies and on Amazon to absorb moisture.

20. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I have tried both dryer sheets and Irish Spring soap in RV's without any luck. Like Lynn said above, they chewed on the soap and used the sheets for their bathroom. Have better luck with the moth balls. Hate the smell though.

scotty t likes this.
  21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Desiccant bags, they placed a few throughout my car when it was placed into a container and shipped from US to Australia. on another note I stored a few collector guitars in cases at home for a friend and used larger bucket desiccant versions that I regularly replaced once moisture started to collect.
    Insofar as vermin, I've no idea however block any orifice; firewall, floor, intake, exhaust etc. It doesn't snow here so there's no need to drain coolant or run a block heater. Do you drain your gas tank to prevent stale fuel? What about GPS device on trailer and car, just in case?

22. I had Irish Spring in a car in a barn. Found little teeth marks all over the bars in a few weeks.

23. j3harleys

j3harleys

If you just going to store it take the wheels off and set it on blocks. Instant shed.

24. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have stored vehicles in big zippered bags without issue. I put cars in bags inside a storage container with a bucket of desiccant in the bags, zipped it up and did not open the bag or container until spring. The cars were perfect, no dust, no moisture, nothing. The bucket had standing water so it did it’s duty. I have also stored vehicles inside of a bag inside my heated shop using the same method, a year later I opened the bag and again no issues. The bags are available through places like: https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/

i.rant likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what your saying is... their shit don't stink? I've know quite a few people that must have been eating soap.

mad mikey, Desoto291Hemi and Budget36 like this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Open the door to the trailer every week or so to check on the vehicle. Also airs out the trailer for ventilation.

27. footbrake

footbrake

In 5 months how much is it gonna rust? You guys are way overkill.

28. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I’ve been using my 20’ enclosed trailer to store cars for 12 years.
    There is almost always one of my cars inside.
    I haven’t had any problems so far.

I keep my cars full of fuel and try to only buy ethanol free gas.

Put a light breathable cover on the car. It’s surprising how much dust can get in to a closed up trailer.

Set two mouse traps on the floor of the trailer baited with peanut butter and check them once a week.

I Leave the trailer’s roof vent open for ventilation, it has a plastic cover to keep rain out.

Pull the wheels off and lock them in the trailer to deter theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j3harleys likes this.