Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Marvelous Man Doors & the Mystery Drag Bike

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Oct 23, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Marvelous Man Doors & the Mystery Drag Bike

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. catdad49

catdad49

Cool start! Man door, huh?

loudbang likes this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,

Back in 1958-59 at Lions Dragstrip, there were quite a few Twin Triumph bikes, as well as a few Twin Harleys. Yes, Reath Automotive was a big name player in those early times. Everyone went there for advice and special parts. (My brother and I during our build of the 671 SBC in the 1940 Willys Coupe... They did the bore, balanced the crank and most of the speed parts for us to assemble.) No one would put on a sticker unless you had a connection to Reath Automotive. It just was not done unless there was an actual connection.

I have this short film from that season. It shows a Twin Triumph making a great run. Then in the elimination race he is pitted against Jack Chrisman driving the Ed Losinski Hemi FED. At .08 sec, Jack Chrisman looks back into the next lane to see why he is so far ahead. Worrying about the competition?
    Twin Triumph vs Jack Chrisman

Jnaki
    At the Lions Dragstrip Foundation site, Steve Brackett has a pretty good collection of photos of drag bikes. You might want to get in touch with them or him to see if he can help identify or have other photos.
    https://lionsautomobilia.org/exhibit-item/bikes-of-lions/

P.S. That same photo in your story with the springer front end is listed on Ebay as:
    1964 Don Highland Triumph T110 Parasite Twin Engine Drag Motorcycle Racing Photo $12.95
    p.s.s.
    Product description from Amazon:
    Photo is Don Highland on the parasite in 1964 in England at Dragfest. This would be a fantastic addition to your collection! It is a reproduction 8 x 10 inch glossy photo with white border. You will love it! The Legendary Parasite– T110 twin engine dragster built by John Melnizuk Sr. and raced by Tommy Grazias, and later John, and in 1963 Don Highland who coaxed a top speed of 150 MPH out of the beast. In 1959, The Parasite won Daytona running a 10:42 ET at over 142 mph in the quarter mile, and making the front page of the local newspaper.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  4. Yes, they are called man doors.

loudbang likes this.

5. Also entry doors

loudbang likes this.
  6. sololobo

sololobo

When attending every drag race in 1060 I could get to in the L. A., Ca. area I saw a twin run at night, I think at Long Beach, a lot of fire and I thought the rider would surely burn up in the thundering run.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Joey, Mark McCracken was a big name in motorcycle drag racing in the Northwest, along with Pat Connelly, and Marlo Treit who ran a twin Triumph, that was a feature in Hot Rod, in the early 60's. 2012-07-23 132943.jpg 2012-07-23 132753.jpg 2012-07-23 131816.jpg

chryslerfan55, slayer, gonzo and 7 others like this.
  8. tractorguy

tractorguy

Marty comes through again ! Great stuff

loudbang likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty
    Looking at this shot sure reminds me of your old pal Whitey Jensen.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yeah, that's Marlo and Whitey Bob, grinding on a Triumph head, 1958.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. A few years back at the Bend in the road I got to sit and talk LSR with Marlo for about 30 minutes. The man knows a TON

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1060 drag racing was dominated by Native Americans on Quarter horses.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I dug out the Feb 62 Hot Rod ( with The Orange Crate on the cover) and here is Marlo's twin. Marlo was a wild man in his younger years ! IMG_5647.JPG IMG_5648.JPG IMG_5649.JPG

14. It is how you enter your man cave.

15. Wow! Some great history unearthed and a great writeup. Marlo's twin looks gnarly, @Marty Strode! I couldn't imagine that riding position. It looks like an extended stock frame?

And for the record, I wouldn't describe Portland as being "the heart the of the Pacific Northwest". Although, I can think of a few other body parts that might be better descriptors.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not to get all political but you can thank some worthless little pricks for the current reputation PDX has gotten as of late!

chryslerfan55 and Irish Mike like this.
  17. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

That was about 500 years before the Spanish introduced horsepower to the New World.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    ottersea, Just Gary, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Since this post—just like everything else I ever post—is about learning, I'll ask you this: what would you consider the heart of the Pacific Northwest? And why? As someone from the Midwest, I'm interested to hear.

tractorguy likes this.
  19. redo32

redo32

Being a born & raised Webfoot and an enthusiastic Oregon Duck I'll stick up for Portland even though I'm 130 miles south of there. Besides the Rose Parade (not Pasadena) and Fleet Week Portland has PIR. Indy cars, drag racing and Wednesday night Cruise In. Portland Swap Meet. Portland Roadster Show. Hot Rod shops from SAR to Marty Strode, Mike McKennett to Shaun's Hot Rod Fab and a lot more talent including Mitch Kim. AMBR winners John Corno, Lonnie Gilbertson & Russ Meeks(builder). Unfortunately the Museum closed this summer, but there are plenty of recreation and things of interest to do. Fish for Sturgeon in the Columbia, visit Multnomah Falls, Louis & Clark's Fort Clatsop, cruise to Mt Hood & Timberline Lodge (from the movie The Shining). Take Hwy 99 to the 3rd best wine region in the USA. Visit the breweries and distilleries and when your done Portland has more strip joints per capita than anyplace else.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  20. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Don McEvoy and Ronnie(?) Baker campaigned both single and dual Triumphs in the 1950s drag racing in Southern California.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  21. dwollam

dwollam

Joey, Madras!

Dave

J.Ukrop likes this.
  22. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Duane Taylor of Albany Ga had a twin Triumph in the late 50s ,or early 60s

J.Ukrop likes this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

I made my last drag strip appearance on a twin engine Triumph in 1967. After it bucked me off in the traps and me surviving it . I made the switch to cars for my drag racing.
    A high speed wobble I could not drive through like it usually did slammed me to the ground. Sold the bike that night to another Triumph guy and went home feeling lucky that I wasn't killed or even hurt too bad.

24. One of the things I miss most about Portland is sturgeon fishing off the Sheriffs dock on Marine drive. Use to fish all night sometimes. Portland has always had an active hotrod community. In the 70s cruising downtown was the place to be on Friday/Saturday nights. Kings [82nd street] , The Speck, Tic-toc were all places to cruise on weekends.

Outback, Tim, J.Ukrop and 1 other person like this.
  25. tractorguy

tractorguy

Don't forget WAAAM Western Antique Aeroplane and Automotive Museum in Hood River. We stopped three times on our trips from Wisconsin and Iowa to visit our daughter and future son-in-law in Portland. Ranked right up there with following the Columbia......trips to the ocean.......oh yeah........ the wine thing also !!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  26. Wes White had a bike like this pict at his Triumph Shop in Pacoima Ca. for freshining up about 2 years ago.
    [​IMG]

triumph 1 and J.Ukrop like this.
  27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_8902.jpg
    I got to see the finished bike last weekend and it's incredible.
    IMG_4443.jpg
    I'd run it!

Outback, Jrs50, slayer and 4 others like this.
  28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @J.Ukrop
    I see you have a pair of snazzy, black high top "PF Flyers"
    Proper gear for a kick ass, exotic motorcycle !

J.Ukrop and elgringo71 like this.
  29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@J.Ukrop Did you happen to get any video of it running? Glad to see he left all those booger welds and simple bracketry untouched to preserve the bikes history. Too many restorations are "cleaned up" and don't quite represent how things were built in the bygone days.

cactus1 and elgringo71 like this.
  30. 6sally6

6sally6

Those 'twin-engine-trumpets' drag bikes jog my memory-bank and the Barn Job Vincent comes roaring out with them.
    Those fellas that 'strap-on-those-crotch-rockets' make me wonder how they can walk around with 'those things' between their legs........
    Thanks for the mammarys !
    6sally6