Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cracked head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Oct 28, 2020.

1. 50BE231F-D8BB-4260-AADD-E869187DE5EF.jpeg

Right by the temp sending hole

Im 1/2 tempted to try J.B. weld it

dana barlow likes this.
  2. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen that shit work miracle's. Grind it out and fill it in, It's not like it's gonna hurt anything now! Lol!

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Hmmmm , somebody overtightened the sending unit ? Looks like the lightweight casting heads ?

4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

5. I’m sure they are lightweight castings -
    I certainly didn’t over tighten it, but who knows what’s happened to it over 39 years.

VANDENPLAS and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  6. Right!
    It’s garbage now anyway

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

TIG with silicon bronze?

8. I had a Chevy marine engine that had a cracked block and the previous owner JB welded it. It lasted for years before and after I bought it. I think the stuff is great if applied properly in certain situations. What could it hurt?

9. Dry it, V it out, get it good and dry and clean. Mix the JB Weld properly apply and forget about it.

bchctybob and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Hey! Those look like 5/8" socket plugs to me! Shouldn't this thread be banned? 8^) Jack E/NJ

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Or # 12 copper house wire. I have repaired a few blocks that way.

12. Deuces

Deuces

Drain your motor of antifreeze then remove the t-stat housing and remove the t-stat... Bolt the housing back on then hook up a shop vac to the t-stat inlet... Apply the J-B weld in the cracked spot and turn the vac on.... That should seal it forever.....

acme30, wraymen, R A Wrench and 5 others like this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

The crack or the vac? LOL

14. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

If it was me, I'd cold weld it, providing I could get to all of the crack, you take a center punch and hammer and start about 7/16 to 1/2 in from the crack and start tapping the metal towards the crack on both sides of it, gently so you don't do anymore damage, run back and forth a couple times working your way closer to the crack, that very likely will seal it up, dump a can bars leak in it and you'd be set of I don't have much faith in jb weld, but after your done you now have plenty of divits for that to stick to.

BJR likes this.
  15. tinkirk

tinkirk

Drain the coolant out, remove thermostat, fill with water, warm it up and drain again, pick up I believe it's Moroso brand ceramic seal have engine running and add all of the bottle put cap on and take it for a ride to build heat,
    drain all of the water out of it, block and all, let sit for 24hrs fill coolant system back up and check to check if you see a leak chances are you won't find one
    used this stuff on motors always seem to have head studs leaking good always just watch them leak and they would spit a little and stop leaking just that quick
    good luck
    Terry

loudbang likes this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I repaired a cracked straight-6 block with an industrial grade 2-part epoxy...basically bootleg JB Weld. It held together really well....and I beat the crap outta that thing!
    MAde sure it was dry, 'V'd it (Prolly more than needed) and filled it up. Let it set for a few days and put it back in service.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I would put bars leak in it. I remember in the 70s watching Bill Jenkins fill the radiator on his pro stock car with bars leak! Those old Chevy heads cracked a lot!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

warhorseracing likes this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wonder if that sensor is coming out without taking a chunk of the head with it.

19. oldolds

oldolds

I have done that on some late model aluminum heads and intakes to close up some pin holes. It worked ok from what I saw. No more wet spots. That crack looks like it goes to the edge of the head so it might not work as good

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey Marty, care to walk us through that one? Sounds like something I need to add to my repertoire.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'm thinking because its crack that is Open to a threaded hole that's tapered , with a tapered brass threaded fitting ,that will expand & contract more than most any plaice else on the engine , because its between exhaust ports , that anything short of metal fusion won't last long & even then its iffy. Bars leak may be your best bet !

22. 4tford

4tford

Here is a repair for crack cast iron used for heads and blocks. I had a block repaired with this method 18 years ago still good.
    locknstitch.com

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  23. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

There are some variables, but a lower pressure cap can slow down or help stop a leak.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Deuces likes this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, I use a die grinder to shallow V, out the joint, and polish around the edges. Then, using # 12 house wire, either the ground, or strip off the insulation, and Tig weld the crack, using just enough heat to flow the copper, about a 1/2" at a time. You should have extra filler wire handy, with copper being a conductor, it warms up pretty quick in your hand. This is not a high strength repair, but it works for some circumstances.

26. Upon further inspection
    It’s cracked all the way thru and all the way across. EA5C24AA-47B8-4B2B-AEB3-AFD3F7221F1A.jpeg 6933C7F5-C7B0-44C9-834F-DF0AE73BD618.jpeg 119ECAE0-EA53-4AE7-B31D-15A883DC8FD9.jpeg 74ADD457-0581-4E61-BD08-FC8EF64158DE.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well that ends that..

While we're on the subject, this broke on me yesterday. Looks like it was cracked already. I don't think JB weld is going to do, much as I like the stuff. Hoping I can TIG it tomorrow and get back to work Friday. Should be cast steel no? Going to have to put the ball in first, I guess. No special rod? Maybe add an extra strap around the outside.

20201029_151213.jpg

fauj likes this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

Speed Gems likes this.
  29. triumph 1

triumph 1

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Funny you would say that , a number of years ago I stopped at an old friends wrecking yard only to find him pitching SBC heads off a shelf , out the door , into a loader bucket . When I asked him wtf , he said he had a request for a set of SBC heads , he'd spent 4 hours sandblasting candidates & magnafluxing them , I counted 22 PAIRS of heads in the bucket , Budd said he couldn't find 1 , let alone 2 , so he gave up . He was a hot headed SOB & a true blue Ford guy !:rolleyes:

1934coupe and kidcampbell71 like this.