Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mickeyc, Oct 28, 2020.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

Its at the moment 12: 15 PM. 10/28 2020 New Orleans time.
    The television news people are salivating all over their broadcast screens.
    Dire predictions are spewing from bug eyed reporters scrambling from
    various locations to find and stand in front of immanent danger which
    is remarkably tardy in regards to the approaching Hurricane! In reality
    it is weird as these events go. At the moment it is drizzling slightly with
    light gusty wind blowing sporadically. I have made all the standard preps
    to make as these storms threaten the gulf coast and our area specifically.
    This is the 7th time this season and also the very latest I recall forming
    so late in the year. The storm is moving very quickly and the predictors
    are giving a time line of this afternoon just after 2:00 A.M. for conditions
    to deteriorate quickly. We shall see shortly! My 32 Ford rolling chassis is
    sitting covered on a trailer in my side alley. I have it well covered and tied
    to the trailer securely. My wife was a bit miffed about me being more concerned regarding the chassis and less about plants and wind chimes and
    other sundry outdoor items. I had to patiently explain to her that those items
    were easily replaced or will grow back! Of course I did spend the last hour
    attending to those items as well. All kidding aside I have been through dozens
    of hurricanes being born and residing here for decades! I must admit this one
    is indeed peculiar. Its like we are just sitting here waiting for a distant relative
    whom we don't care for to drop by on his way through town, and hoping
    he does not stay long!

2. alchemy

alchemy

I can sympathize a bit with you as we up here in Iowa suffered a derecho this summer. But we didn't have advance warning, so we didn't have to sit and agonize about it for a few days beforehand. Usually our "weather" (tornadoes, blizzards) surprises us with a couple hours warning.

Strap yourself in your most flotational chair, and good luck!

lowrd and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. Yeah, they are calling for high winds here, we have already been hit twice this year with 50 to 65 MPH winds and lost several trees and lost my daughters car when it was crushed.

My sphincter muscles will be working overtime until the storm passes. :rolleyes: HRP

GordonC and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. mickeyc

mickeyc

Well folks its blowing really hard at the moment!
    The hurricane is upon us and power is failing all over the city and outlying areas. I am surprised to still have power in the neighborhood. I do expect it to be lost at any moment. This is a really fast moving system and is
    expected to be out of the area in a couple of hours.
    its just getting dark and looks crazy outside! The trees
    in the area were just starting to loose their summer splendor. I expect it will mostly all be on the ground in the morning!

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good luck and be safe.....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. We were awaken this morning at 6AM by a loud crash, I looked at the alarm clock and all I saw was darkness, the power was out.

I scrambled around trying to find my jeans and felt around in the night stand drawer for my flashlight, I was amaze the batteries were good.

I went to the back door and looked out and saw a tree on our deck, upon further examination I saw half the tree snapped about 6 foot up. fortunately it missed the house but did rip the power line away from the house.

All in all it could have been much worse, We left my daughter at home to deal with the power company and we came to Brenda's shop, tomorrow or Saturday I will start dealing with the debris, when I get all that cleared away I can address any damage to the deck. HRP

lothiandon1940 and jim snow like this.
  7. jim snow

jim snow

Hopefully the damage won’t be too bad. All The best. Snowman

8. Putting the word out to any HAMBers in the Anderson, S.C. area with chain-saws. Danny could use some help.

9. mickeyc

mickeyc

Well the Hurricane blew through here like Grant through Richmond! Came in at a little after 6p.m. and all was calm by 8.30 Today dawned bright and clear with little humidity at all. Very odd for South Louisiana
    . Temps in the low sixties! Usually after a storm it is
    sweltering hot and very humid. With 80% of the metro
    area without power I still have it! This has never happened before. I am truly thankful. I could hear the
    ominous unmistakable sound of pole transformers
    groaning and the flash of their demise all around
    the neighborhood. I could also hear power poles
    snapping and crashing to the ground. It was a bit unsettling frankly. Lost a few shingles and tree limbs
    My 32 chassis was unscathed which is of little importance in the scale of things, but I am glad for that
    as well. Others were not so fortunate and suffered extensive damages.

LAROKE and Budget36 like this.
  10. You guys living there must really like it as you stay through thick and thin. I was activated after Katrina and we arrived less than two days after it hit. New Orleans truly did look like a war zone with the Astro Dome roof all torn off and the destruction. That would have been it for me if lived there and the people that lost everything, had no where to go, nothing to eat, and no clothes to change. It was worse than horrible and I feel for you. You all take care and be safe.

11. The power company has made a lot of progress but there are still 218,959 customers without power as of this morning in the upstate. HRP

12. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was without electricity for 12+ days after the Derecho Storm came through Iowa.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A buddy of mine who lives up toward Gainesville, GA had several large hardwood trees fall in his yard, one on a Civic, one on a 80's Bronco. Missed his other driver Bronco by 6 feet.

I lost some leaves and a few smallish limbs, the main storm tracked south of me.

14. 2020 has not been kind to my area, this is the third stome this year where we have lost trees, believe it or not I have lived in the same house for 46 years and have never lost a tree in the past.

The last storm before Zeta crushed my daughters Honda. HRP

15. Day 3 no power, no working in the garage and no Rodders Journal. :rolleyes: HRP

16. mickeyc

mickeyc

I know how you feel Danny. I still have power, but may lose it as repairs are beginning in various areas. The buzz of chain saws is constant most everywhere one may venture. The Formosan termite is a big factor as they swarm during the summer and attack
    all things wooden. Oak trees especially. Most of the trees I see down show badly decayed centers that are
    the results of insect damage. My shop/workspace is in a nearby industrial park and is still without power
    as of last night. They say there are 2500 poles down
    and untold numbers with serious leans or broken off
    and dangling. Traffic is snarled as many signal lights
    are not working and there is no police presence to
    help at intersections. It looks like the films I have seen
    of traffic in third world countries. What a mess!