Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aftermarket Steering Wheel on 51 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Eggman, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Eggman

Eggman
    from SoCal

I just tried to install a Grant (#4267) steering hub on my ‘51 Ford shoebox and I can’t close the gap from the hub to the column. Is this normal? It’s as far down as I can get.

Attached Files:

2. BJR

BJR

Then move the hub up. Loosen the clamp at the gear box and move the whole column up a little to close the gap without going too far that the column jacket disengages from the gear box.

oneratfink57 likes this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Braze or weld an extension ring to match the dia of the hub.

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

they make those covers in a lot of different depths. Are you sure you have the right kit??

seb fontana likes this.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

This seems to be an issue with this kit #4267 Grant must have made a change as this has come up on several facebook Ford groups also. I used the same kit 6 years ago and have the opposite issue the hubs were rubbing when I turned the wheel in my '54 Ford. It seems the later kits won't allow the adapter hub to seat any further down the shaft.:( Some guys have contacted Grant's Tech line so you might try that and see if they have a solution. Check out the negative review here and his solution. https://www.amazon.com/Grant-Products-4267-Specialty-Installation/dp/B000CMD90Y#customerReviews

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

7. The problem with Grant adaptors is they're injection molded and the molds will wear out over time. If they actually broached the splines you wouldn't have this problem....

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I would go to the Bad bath and beyond and look at bowls or pots for the size that would fit. Drill your holes and your done..

First I would look and see if the column could be adjusted as was mentioned by BJR..

ZZ Top Chop likes this.