Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 9 sec. 38 Dodge truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Jan 11, 2020.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

loudbang likes this.
  2. Art Morrison is who comes to mind, but Roadster Shop might be an option.

loudbang likes this.
  3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Havent thought of them I will check them out. I plan on running a aluminum super bell but talking to pete and jakes and the axel is only available in 46 and mine is 49. Thay said i should use a 32 ford crossmember but i dont know how wide that is i believe around 25 inches. Then with that the frame rails would be about 28 inches on the out side. I was trying to get 32 to 34 outside frame because of the dana 60 and 4 link. Is there a way around this or do i build the frame at 28 inches. More learning for me.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

29 inch outside gives me the 25 im looking for inside. If i use a 46 inch king pin to king pin i should have a 56 inch track width. Narrow the rear by 2 inches on each side and it tracks nicely. Now i just need to come up with 4 more inches between the exhaust and the wheel. Now the tricks really happen.

Tony 20201028_200213.jpeg 20201028_170907.jpeg

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only 10 short months to the next HAMB Drags. You better get a move on.

-Abone.

loudbang and Tim like this.
  6. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

It seems like Brian had a little more room than I do.

Tony 20170714_173709.jpeg

7. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Im still waiting on a finished motor, I got a blower and injection .But i am planning on being there. This year ya got a old Milwaukee beer when we meet.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  8. Are you planning to run fenders? Brian moved his front axle further foward from the stock location. Why not stretch the wheel base.

loudbang likes this.
  9. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I am on the fence about the fenders, at first I wasnt going to, but I want to keep it a option. I believe I will stretch it but I have to figure out where to stretch it. I dont really want to move the cab back, and have a 4 ft box, never liked the look of that. I have to figure out how to stretch the fenders without it being noticed to much. I got everything fitting and working good on my 37 so its just a matter of time.

Tony

10. If you put front fenders on it you will limit how fast you can go in most cases. Those big fenders are huge air scoops. You rarely see a car with fenders going the speed you are trying to achieve. Handling become a big issue.

mad mikey, RodStRace and loudbang like this.
  11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I decided that there will be no fenders on the truck. I think I have my front end figured out, but have a few questions that race them. I am undecided on hair pins or split bones. Is there one that will work better at high speeds compared to the other? I am looking for more info on the torsion bar frontend also. I have called Sway Away, for questions and looking for others. @ctalbert looking for some info on your 33 ford with a torsion bar. Anything helps.

Tony

12. just stop by and take some measurements. i have the bar diameter.

mad mikey, RodStRace and loudbang like this.
  13. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I ordered some parts for the front end and they sure are pretty. I was bored on Christmas so i got the the blower and injection out just to see it. Here is some eye candy. 20201226_113532.jpeg 20201226_113642.jpeg

14. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

16. earlymopar

earlymopar

What manufacturer did the axle and spindles?

17. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

The front end parts came from Pete and Jakes. It is a Superbell axle.

Tony

18. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I talked with Brian this weekend, and was told the cam and pistons should be ordered this week. we are getting closer to getting it together. When I go to Rogers to put motor together I will get more pics. Slowly the parts are coming in so it should start looking like a hotrod.

Tony

mad mikey, slayer and loudbang like this.
  19. Is that super bell axle the forged aluminum? Thats what we are running on Dads dodge.

20. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a big pile of cool shiny stuff. Glad you went with Pete and Jakes, they are kind enough to let us hang out in their shop and ask stupid questions on the way to the Drags every year.

-Abone.

21. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Yep its the forged aluminum one. I like it, its 46" if I remember right.

I agree, I stopped there the first time I went to the drags. Great people to talk to and helped me out, but also was nice to have someone that really knew what they were talking about.

Tony

22. You're putting a hurtin on that 2x4, you better flip it or get something more substantial before you lose all that shiny goodness.

loudbang likes this.
  23. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

The worst part is that the block is filled. I wasnt sure if i wanted to put it up there even just for the pic. As soon as I took the pic it was removed, scared me to much to have that pile shiny on them.

Thanks Tony

24. I like the 2x4 mock up frame! It's a great way to see what you need to do... Quick question, what ride height do you want the body to sit at? Usually I start from there... and then measure my suspension parts from centerline of the wheels to top of spring mounts... and then draw a pic to see how much kick up I want/need. The nice thing about what you're doing is that there aren't any rules, really. Depending on funds, a Boling Brother's http://www.bolingbrothers.com/ frame could be just the ticket. I can tell you already that you'll probably want some kick up in the front and a lot more out back. The rear coil overs in a drag application sit pretty high in relation to the housing. Anyway, good luck and I look forward to seeing your build built.

Sam

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Samlyam, thanks I did go with a bolingsbrothers frame rails, I actually ordered 2 with different kick ups. They were great to work with and they look great with nice bends. I did order up a chromoly 4 link, gears for the dana 60 and a spool, waiting on housing ends, the date has been moved 3 times now. Getting alot of parts now just need the time to put them in one spot. I also decided to go with 2 4 barrels instead of the injection, so looking for a good carb guy. I thought Biggs carburetor in Eau Claire would do them but he wants nothing to do with them. I would prefer a smaller shop if anyone knows of one.

Im getting close to getting my motor done, and talking with Roger he said to get some spark plugs, and he said get a 9 or a 10 heat range in a ngk. I called ngk to get a part number and they recommend a BKR 6E part # 6962. The tech, said with the 10 I would be fouling them alot. Also said that start at heat range 4 and go up one for every 10 psi of boost. I would like to here what everyone else is using on a blown hemi.

Thanks Tony

26. I think that is sound advice. I am running a 6 right now. Not a blown hemi but a wicked built blown SBC. I have run and probably will, a colder plug as the summer temps rise and or my boost level with pully changes. You will have to see what she likes and tuning is key. I know you will get it sorted out. Its a dance, so to say with blown applications. Cheers brother on a fantastic build.:)

27. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

mikey, Thanks for the reply, its good to here from someone that has gone through this. I have been following your thread, and glad you are back at it. I have always liked your car, whats it run in the 1/4.

Thanks Tony

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. Thanks very much MC. To date a best time of 9.11. With the new trans she should hit high 8's.:) As long as conditions are right on the track and I am on my game. And nothing stupid happens.:rolleyes: My goals sometimes out reach my talent.:eek: LOL. It took me three years to get to the9's. But hell, what a ride.;) I really admire what you are doing, this shit is not easy. If it was easy everybody would do it. The hard, makes it great!

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    loudbang, Hemi Joel and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

WOW that is a screaming little small block, I like them. I just put a new m1 intake on my other truck and 4.30 gears, it pulls to 7000 rpms, and never drops below 5000 during shifts. If I ever get that direction in the country I will look you up.

Tony

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  30. Same here Tony. Maybe we will be in a future Drag Week. I hope to do that sooner then later.:);)

loudbang likes this.