Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tips for engine honing frame/support?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fstarocka, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

Hi guys - ive read here and there about ppl using a support for honing cylinders? Anyone made one? Currently using a slow heavy duty drill (it works quite well) except when i nick the block so looking at making some kind of contraption I can use to limit the stroke - i can handle the drill ok, but hoping to avoid going too deep..

maybe theres a simpler way?

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Stand on something so your arm's won't extend down to nice the block.

warhorseracing likes this.
  3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Hmm...I just use my brain power..! Use what your mom gave you.

I slide the hone into the cylinder (not running) and just touch the the bottom of the cylinder, no farther. Then I notice how far down the top of the hone is from the block deck. Then...as I'm working the hone, I know...don't go any deeper than...this point.
    No where near the main webs. Simple as you go.

Mike

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

A storm door safety chain/ spring ( travel limiter) , connected to a turnbuckle ( for fine adjustment) hung off your engine hoist ( or rafters ??). That's why I use a dingleberry hone now , can't really hurt anything if you over travel ..

ekimneirbo and warhorseracing like this.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Piece of tape on shaft of hone extending out about 3" positioned so when hone is at bottom it will touch the deck surface. I like previous post.

blowby likes this.
  6. All of the methods above will work.:D Do not overthink things.:eek: This is not rocket science.:rolleyes:

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Agree with 2old2fast. Make something with a spring and a rod so that as the spring stretches the rod moves down till it hits a stop. Use all thread and weld a thick washer to a big nut.

8. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

thanks for the ideas - ive been managing pretty well using the hand method but the 454 i just did had some tight areas - my solution is to find a heavy duty low speed drill with an adjustable clutch - I have used my ridgid cordless, i set it up enough to work the hone but slips when it jams- but the drill is working a little hard and the batteries arent happy-

Ill have to see if anyone makes a nice heavy dusty clutch drill with the ring-