Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest PSA when buying stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Oct 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Budget36

Budget36

I just came back from the Post Office. Charge for a 300 $ MO was 1.25. Envelope and stamp made the total come to 301.94.
    Saves some bucks over PP fees

I know you can be effed over even with a USPO MO, but if you’re like me and like saving a dime and the PO is close...just FYI
    Now also, who I bought from has a good rep and runs a business, so no worries on my end

2. flatford39

flatford39

Yeah...Paypal and Ebay are going to run themselves out of business with the fees they charge. Also look into Greyhound for shipping. It's a little inconvenient to drop off and pick up but their fees compared to UPS and Fed Ex on large items is night and day.

dana barlow, Driver50x and Budget36 like this.
  3. My finances got hacked recently, the bank thinks it came thru pay pal

4. mohead1

mohead1

i thought PP was like one of the safest ways to do money...gotta keep good passwords, and never fall for shit when your told "your acct will be locked due to some crap, click here to fix...."

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. I don't do PayPal anymore. If that's all the seller will accept, then I'm not buying it...

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

You're paying for convenience with PayPal - a couple clicks of the mouse and you're done. To be fair when comparing, you need to include the cost of driving to and from the post office, plus the time spent doing so.

7. Er..... yea..... well, the seller pays the P/P fees and you don't have to buy a stamp/envelope for a check. And there's the security thing with P/P.
    But I get it. I'm not a PayPal fanboy either. However, I do use them when "Free" makes sense to do it.
    My butt really puckers when I'm the seller and have a buyer that wants to use P/P. I've been known to offer other suggestions for payment.
    (More than once I've gotten a good, trusting feeling about the seller, and vice versa, and sent/been sent the payment "Friends and Family" so no fees [but also no security].)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Budget36 likes this.
  8. lake_harley

lake_harley

I've always had people send money via the "send money to a friend" option on PayPal. That had always let money transfer without any fee on my end as the person receiving the money. However, the last transfer I received I was charged about $3 or $4 on a $110 transfer. Buyer said he thought he did it right but I don't know...maybe PayPal recently changed their policy?

Personally, I'd be quite happy if people just sent a personal check. I always ship as soon as a check arrives and haven't been burned yet (fingers crossed). I figure someone with any kind of history on the HAMB would be stupid to stiff someone.

Lynn

dirty old man and olscrounger like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

I get ya. But if you want 100 bucks, FF. I have to send 103 and change. If you want 300. I have to send near 10 bucks.

So I sent 300 and was in it for a little time before work, and under 2 bucks all in.

now I see if you are selling and put the price to 300 and absorb the cost of the fees. Seller sends 300 and you get 290-ish. If good for you, good for me;)

10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

My PayPal account is a dedicated Stand alone account at a bank I do no other business with. I withdraw any money in the account weekly. It gets hacked I’m not going to get hurt.
    Friends and family payment will never happen. If a buyer or seller is so tight that as little as $10 gets their panties twisted I don’t need to deal with them. Add in that there is no recourse if a sale goes sideways. All a person is doing is by using FF is giving the low life scum a opportunity to Get scammed.

belair, chopped, K13 and 2 others like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

There are guys on here that want PayPal f/f for payment . If I am a buyer why would I do that to myself.

12. GTS225

GTS225

And you don't compromise the security of your charge accounts by sharing the account number with some entity that may, or may not be, secure. That alone is worth the risk of the one-time loss through a USPS money order.

Just my opinion.....Roger

alanp561 likes this.
  13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PayPal is in the business of transferring funds. Yeah, they probably make a lot of money doing it but, sending money using the "Friends and Family" option just doesn't seem right, especially if you aren't related or don't actually know the person receiving payment. I know PayPal allows it but there seem to be a lot of people who take advantage of it. Just seems dishonest to me.

14. Just tonight on the Ford Barn, I called the seller and spoke with him in person. We discussed the deal a little over two weeks ago. Let some time elapse then do the deal. Neither called each other until the agreed upon time so he by all of my measures seems legit and I have no reason to doubt his word. I have his address and tomorrow my wife while in town will go to the post office and get and mail the USPO Money Order as agreed with the seller. I will notify him tomorrow when the wife gets home and lets me know she did send it. He has agreed to then cash it and send the parts to me and will notify me. I never have done Pay Pal or have an account but occasionally get an e-mail that says my account has been hacked. I delete them without opening them.

15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just FYI guys if the person you are buying parts from wants cash and you use PayPal, your credit card company may charge you a fee as if you were doing a cash advance. I know the credit card I used to secure my PayPal account did and it was something new they just started doing. In my case they charged me $10 for the luxury of giving cash to the seller of the part I wanted. When buying from a legit business most accept a credit card so no problem other than the standard fee. Individuals tho are a different story. No more buying via PayPal from sellers who only accept cash. I don't mind absorbing a normal transaction fee so the seller doesn't take the hit on their end but otherwise no dice. Same with family and friends unless I get a real good feeling about the seller.

alanp561 likes this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

This/\
    I keep less than $500 in my account, usually much less. I transfer from my other accounts as needed, that way some hacker doesn’t get much if they get me. I never do friends and family, either.

alanp561 likes this.
  17. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

You do what you want, and that's great for you. But I'm not going to waste A half hour to 45 minutes of my time driving to town, standing in line at the post office, filling out forms and all that BS to save a couple of bucks. My time's worth a lot more than that to me. PayPal and credit card for me!

18. Budget36

Budget36

I did do what I wanted to do as I was in town, took all of 10 minutes once I got out of my truck. I get paid at my real job, if I’m not on the clock and it comes down to time v money, I’ll spend the time.

My whole point of mentioning a Postal MO was how inexpensive it was.

Curious tho, what did you charge yourself to open and reply? ;)

41rodderz likes this.
  19. manyolcars

manyolcars

Th Post Office lost my mail with the money order and I had to buy another. That doubled my cost!

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have talked to a few hambers that I was selling parts to. Found other mutual interests and had fun spending time shooting the bull. :) Talked to some real characters and one guy we used to go to the same dirt tracks , on the other side of the country.:D

21. I just did a deal with a member who wouldn’t do PPal and wanted a bank cheque.
    Cost was abit more but the cheque went via registered mail from here in Oz.
    His choice as I wanted the goods but he had to wait patiently as it took nearly 6 weeks to get to him. He offered his wife’s PPal account as long as I paid the fees but If it turned to crap I would of been the big loser.
    I’ve done many a PPal deal on here and always offer other members as a reference to my honesty. I can only hope it runs both ways.
    Regarding the fees, if the buyer wants me to pay the fees I’d rather just add that to the cost and then be covered.
    With the exchange rate added to the cost , it makes buying from the US painful but if you want to play you gotta pay.

alanp561 likes this.
  22. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I feel that no matter what system you use, someone out there, who makes their living, stealing, will find a way to cheat the system. These dishonest people never seem to get caught. I think you just have to accept the fact that it is risky buying items through the mail and paying for them by one of the current systems. This is why I like swap meets, you see the item you want (not always what you need), you ask the person who is selling the item, "how much", he or she tells you the price, you call that person a bum, you reach into your wallet pay the price, and walk away with the item.

alanp561, RMR&C, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.