Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Jack Stands

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dna9656, Oct 27, 2020.

1. dna9656

dna9656

I'm in the market for new jack stands. I have a 06 1500 Avalanche, the registration says it weighs just under 6,ooo lbs. I have some aging jack stands, the ratcheting type with a large safety pin that engages the back of the moving member. Most all the jack stands that a DIYer will buy (can afford) are made in China, the US made ones are really expensive and mostly are for higher weight limits, like 10 and up tons. I don't have an unlimited budget but I want safety. I'm planning on putting some 8" (thick) 18" X 18" under the frame hence forth, it's just getting too scary. Recommendations and a web (lazy ain't I?) site where they can be had would be very much appreciated

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Garage Sales, Craigslist

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If you don't need to remove the wheels then I like this kind of setup or something homemade out of lumber.
    These stands were posted on here by one of our Canadian members, Blue One.

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Where the stands are made is not really the issue. What is the rated capacity, and how are they made. I have a set of 3 ton rated stands that were made overseas that I have used over 25 years with no issues. A little research goes a long way. 8" x 18" x 18"? Weight of plate with those dimensions is 765 lbs! I do applaud your concern for safety. Remember the stand's weight rating is per stand, and one stand is not supporting the entire vehicle.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just don’t use them at full height is my main safety goal. I bought 2 x 12’s and cut them a 15” lengths for a base.

6. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  7. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

you are a smart man being cautous.If I take wheels off I like to put them 'under 'the vehicle out of the way, but put them where just incase fall .blocks of wood under wheels also if possable.good jack stands are a must. I even like to leave floor jack there also. harbor freight just had a recall on there stands.if you have theres call about recall.

jimmy six likes this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I wonder what the difference is between those and the HB recalled ones. I have a set bought close to 30 yrs ago from who knows where but look identical to the HB ones. BTW, I always throw the wheel under the car.....

9. I use wood blocks when I don't have to pull the wheels off, a combination of jack stands and wood blocks for safety, when I do... 20200324_192045.jpg

charleyw, jimmy six and williebill like this.
  10. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  11. williebill

williebill

Mine are similar to Rustydusty's stands, except with heavy duty rollers. Pretty sure that nothing bad can happen with them, and I have fallen asleep under my cars when they're on the wooden stands.

12. Budget36

Budget36

I made some is HS shop, pipe in pipe, bent some flat bar for stability welded to the outer/lower pipe at about a 30 degree ( guessing) angle, then back to the bottom of the pipe.

Always felt safe with them

13. Truckdoctor Andy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. The stands @Blue One made you can purchase I have a set, they are for lifting forklifts, a set is around $400 Canadian dollars ( so probably 0.75 cents American :D)

Lots of threads on here where guys built some really nice wheel stands out of hard wood and ply wood cribbing boxes

these two ideas work great and you get the car fairly high and stable with the wheels on.

I got a set like @HOTRODPRIMER and others posted 3 ton and 6 ton depending on how high I need the car. I never go full extension with the jack stand hence why I have 2 sets in different capacity’s and hights.

I also put the tires under the car by the stands
    And I’ll keep the jack under the frame also.

move done it my whole life and I still hate crawling under a car.

a guy at a shop next door to me years ago got crushed going under a car with just a jack “ it’ll only take a second ... it’s one bolt “

yeah, I still do stupid things but I’m not that stupid anymore.

Check Facebook market place etc see if you can buy some old name brand stands . A good set of stands is a cheap investment you’ll have forever.

Truckdoctor Andy, fiftyv8 and Tman like this.
  15. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Early Ford axle tubes make great stands....Just cut them to the length you want...

lippy and seb fontana like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have multiple sets of 6 ton jack stands . I never use my 3 tons unless I am doing light work . Plus the height on 6 tons is better. Yes I don’t take any stand to height limit . What I use most is my ramps. Under four tires . I also keep a floor jack for extra safety.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just a little correction here, the stands I made are custom creations and you can’t buy them anywhere.

The forklift stands are built differently in both design and materials along with function.

The main difference with my stands is that I can stack them for storage as they “nest “ into a relatively compact space, something you can’t do with forklift stands.

It’s definitely a good plan to work with something safe and avoid the alternative.

fauj, fiftyv8 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I lost a good friend from some cheep jack stands.
    The stands I use are Astro brand, bought back in the 80s have used them at all heights and have countless hours between them with never a fear. Still use them today.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

19. sorry for that.
    I should have said you can buy something similar.
    That’s a real space saver that they nest.
    My 4 stands take 1/2 the space under my bench.

sorry about that and thanks for filling me in with tour stands .

Blue One likes this.
  20. I have two six ton Lincoln stands, and two twelve ton Lincoln stands. My stands are at least 30 years old and made in USA. The stands we have at work are made by Grey Manufacturing in St. Joseph Missouri. Everything Grey makes is top notch and made in USA.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS and deathrowdave like this.
  21. whatever you decide, don't buy from "Harbor Freight"...

22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what I use when I need to work under my p/u. If I need to remove a wheel to adjust brakes or whatever I only remove one wheel at a time and use a 6 ton jack stand in place of the wheel stand.
    https://www.raceramps.com/ RR-WC-10.jpg

fiftyv8 likes this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

There are many variations to chose from.
    Either purchased or home fabbed.

Attached Files:

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I made these out of scrap lumber.
    Copied from YouTube.
    They are stackable and I made them in 2 heights to cope with big and little wheels.

Attached Files:

continentaljohn likes this.